53 Man Roster thread

Old Guy

4 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

I disagree with your first sentence so not sure I can answer the question.

Heinicke is on his 4th team.  He hasn't stuck in those first 3 spots to be a viable backup.  Washington went with Sam Howell and Jacoby Brissett over Heinicke.  

18 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

Heineke won't be processing in live action worth a damn if he doesn't know the offense.  You are being every bit as short-sighted about this as you claim others to be.  We are talking about Heineke here, not Mahomes.

So, we aren't expecting Heineke to play at all. It wouldn't take him but a few weeks to learn enough. We have a chance with him if Love were to miss a few weeks. Heineke is not going to go on a Nick Foles run. 

1 minute ago, Old Guy said:

OK, this is not correct. Those 3 teams drafted quarterbacks in the top 2 of the past two drafts. They weren't /aren't thinking playoffs when they released Heinicke. 

Washington went with Howell and Brissett in 2023.  Neither were top 2 picks.  

Houston didn't draft a QB in 2018 in the top 2 either. The backup to Watson was Brandon Weeden

Carolina in 2019 didn't draft a QB in the top 2 either.  The backups to Newton were Klye Allen and Will Grier.

1 hour ago, Old Guy said:

Tannehill is the dream, but he's waiting for a starting gig for sure. Which may be a big mistake on his part. 

Or money.  Neither of which are coming out of Green Bay.

10 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Or money.  Neither of which are coming out of Green Bay.

One thing to remember (may not change our philosophy) but for the first time in a while, we have quite a bit of cap space. If they wanted to pay a backup QB they easily can, unlike past years.

• Like 1

This obsessing about a different backup QB is pure Packer fan insanity. 

Surely Gutes knows that any other marginal or washed-up old player will save the sky from falling on the Packers season.   

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

One thing to remember (may not change our philosophy) but for the first time in a while, we have quite a bit of cap space. If they wanted to pay a backup QB they easily can, unlike past years.

Teams don't spend big on backup QBs when they're already paying their starting QB significantly.  Looking at the top 10 teams in terms of QB AAV (starting) and wha they're paying their top backup QB in terms of 2024 cap hit.

Cincinnati (Joe Burrow): Jake Browning (915k)
Jacksonville (Trevor Lawrence): Mac Jones ($2.8M)
Miami (Tua Tagovailola): Skylar Thomas ($1M)
Detroit (Jared Goff): Nate Sudfeld (985k)
LA Chargers (Justin Herbert): Easton Stick ($1.3M)
Baltimore (Lamar Jackson): Josh Johnson ($1.2M)
Philadelphia (Jalen Hurts): Kenny Pickett ($2M)
Arizona (Kyler Murray): Desmond Ridder ($1.2M)
Cleveland (Deshaun Watson): Jameis Winston ($1.8M)

With the exception of the two QBs that were traded still on their rookie contracts, only Jameis Winston is making more than $1.5M.  Somehow I don't believe that Tannehill would even consider that kind of offer.

1 hour ago, Old Guy said:

I'd take the loser of the Zack Wilson - Jared Stidham battle in Denver as our backup. 

Zach Wilson has looked good this game.  If I'm Denver, I'm keeping him as the backup.  He had far more upside than Stidham 

1 minute ago, squire12 said:

Zach Wilson has looked good this game.  If I'm Denver, I'm keeping him as the backup.  He had far more upside than Stidham 

Catch 22. Stidham is no threat to Nix if he struggles starting out. Kind of like us have Clifford as the only backup to Love last year. No pressure on Love that the backup was going to be a threat, ever.

Stidham is Denver's Clifford. 

26 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Teams don't spend big on backup QBs when they're already paying their starting QB significantly.  Looking at the top 10 teams in terms of QB AAV (starting) and wha they're paying their top backup QB in terms of 2024 cap hit.

Cincinnati (Joe Burrow): Jake Browning (915k)
Jacksonville (Trevor Lawrence): Mac Jones ($2.8M)
Miami (Tua Tagovailola): Skylar Thomas ($1M)
Detroit (Jared Goff): Nate Sudfeld (985k)
LA Chargers (Justin Herbert): Easton Stick ($1.3M)
Baltimore (Lamar Jackson): Josh Johnson ($1.2M)
Philadelphia (Jalen Hurts): Kenny Pickett ($2M)
Arizona (Kyler Murray): Desmond Ridder ($1.2M)
Cleveland (Deshaun Watson): Jameis Winston ($1.8M)

With the exception of the two QBs that were traded still on their rookie contracts, only Jameis Winston is making more than $1.5M.  Somehow I don't believe that Tannehill would even consider that kind of offer.

Not an important point, but I'd bet Hendon Hooker is going to be Detroit's backup this year. 

8 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

Once we get that 2nd quality QB and 8th quality OL under contract, the roster will be set.  Otherwise, the season is probably doomed.

Not if we dont figure out how to keep 7 wrs

• Like 2

1 hour ago, squire12 said:

He has talent for sure.  Jets ruined him.  Wouldn't mind him as a back up and developing him.  Has a higher upside than just about anyone else who would be available.  Wouldn't count on it though he'll still probably command a few bucks as crappy as he's been.  Nah we'll be rolling with Pratt.  He's just a rook takes time to learn the position.  Looks like he's a gamer and also has a pretty high upside.  Worthy of development.  Let's face it Love was god awful at the beginning also.