53 Man Roster thread

Old Guy

24 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Yup.  But, Clemons is working with Clifford and Pratt right now, so that point is a wash.

And again, with the Jets, all he had to do is not lose games.  And he couldn't do that.  He kept making the same mistakes over and over again.

To me, he is not trustable right now, after what I saw in New York.  

So I feel like, though I like the skills, I'll stick with one of our guys.  I give the nod to Clifford just because he's been in the offense for a year.  No reason to think that Pratt gets picked up if we cut him, so he goes to the PS.

LOL! I really respect so much of what you post but this is a joke right? 

Wilson was the #3 overall selection based on TALENT. 

Clifford was drafted in the 5th round, Pratt in the 7th based on LOFT! 

You think you can give the guy cow ****, and he can make you a perfectly seasoned and cooked ribeye. 

QB: (2) Love, Clifford
RB: (2) Jacobs, Wilson
FB: (1) Pearson
WR: (7) Doubs, Watson, Reed, Wicks, Melton, Heath, DuBose
TE: (3) Musgrave, Kraft, Sims
OL: (9) Myers, Jenkins, Walker, Rhyan, Tom, Monk, Dillard, Newman, Morgan
DT: (5) Clark, Slaton, Wyatt, Brooks, Wooden
DE: (5) Gary, Smith, Van Ness, Enagbare, Cox
LB: (6) McDuffie, Walker, Wilson, Cooper, Hopper, Welch
CB: (6) Alexander, Nixon, Stokes, Valentine, Ballentine, King
S: (5) Bullard, McKinney, Oladapo, Johnson, Williams
ST: (2) Whelan, Orzech

IR: Dillon, Lloyd (To Return)

Practice Squad: Robert Rochell, Jonathan Ford, Donovan Jennings, Alex Hale, Ralen Goforth, Zayne Anderson, Miichael Pratt, Ellis Merriweather, Travis Glover, KaDeem Telfort, Luke Tenuta, Joel Wilson, Julian Hicks, Aaron Mosby, Lecitus Smith, Tyler Davis, Caleb Jones

Not a misprint. I do not have a kicker on my initial 53. They will pick someone up or resign Carlson or Joseph. 

Hope I haven't forgotten anything else. 

1 hour ago, Old Guy said:

LOL! I really respect so much of what you post but this is a joke right? 

Wilson was the #3 overall selection based on TALENT. 

Clifford was drafted in the 5th round, Pratt in the 7th based on LOFT! 

You think you can give the guy cow ****, and he can make you a perfectly seasoned and cooked ribeye. 

Tell me again where Trey Lance was picked.  Tell me where Brock Purdy was picked.

I could go on and on.  And I'm on the fence with Wilson, just because the Jets tend to get the worst out of their young QB's.

If I'm betting money, and our decision of which QB to keep comes down to Pratt, Clifford and Wilson, my guess is that we choose a kid who has been in our system and who we know, be that Pratt or Clifford, over a guy like Wilson who flamed out brilliantly in New York.  

Now, just so you comprehend what I'm posting here, I added the context of, "if I'm betting money".  Spelling it out, it is what I feel Green Bay MGT would do.  Do not confuse that with what I want, or what I would do.

5 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Tell me again where Trey Lance was picked.  Tell me where Brock Purdy was picked.

I could go on and on.  And I'm on the fence with Wilson, just because the Jets tend to get the worst out of their young QB's.

If I'm betting money, and our decision of which QB to keep comes down to Pratt, Clifford and Wilson, my guess is that we choose a kid who has been in our system and who we know, be that Pratt or Clifford, over a guy like Wilson who flamed out brilliantly in New York.  

Now, just so you comprehend what I'm posting here, I added the context of, "if I'm betting money".  Spelling it out, it is what I feel Green Bay MGT would do.  Do not confuse that with what I want, or what I would do.

What percentage of 1st round quarterbacks hit compared to 5th - 7th round quarterbacks? You pick one 7th round guy to make your case. You think Pratt or Clifford has anything close to the upside of Purdy? I know you don't. 

I agree with you regarding what Packer management is likely to do. I hope it doesn't bite us in the ***. 

QB: (2) Love, Pratt
RB: (3) Jacobs, Wilson, lloyd
OL: (8) Myers, Jenkins, Walker, Rhyan, Tom, Monk, Dillard, Morgan
DE: (5) Gary, Smith, Van Ness, Enagbare, Mosby
LB: (5) McDuffie, Walker, Cooper, Hopper, Welch
CB: (6) Alexander, Nixon, Stokes, Valentine, Ballentine, Rochell
ST: (3) Whelan, Orzech, Carlson

Emergency QB must still be on 53-man roster after NFLPA vetoes rule change

NFL owners approved a change to the emergency quarterback rule in March that would allow teams to call up a player from the practice squad an unlimited number of times to be on the inactive list as a third quarterback on game days, but that change will not be in effect this season.

Per Tom Pelissero of NFL Media, the league sent a memo to teams informing them that the NFLPA vetoed the change. The veto means that any quarterback designated for the emergency role must already be on the 53-man roster. That is the same way the rule worked when it was adopted for the 2023 season.

The union likely saw the change as offering teams a way to stash a 54th member of the active roster on the practice squad.

Quarterbacks can still be elevated for games, but would still be subject to three elevations before they would have to be waived or released and they would have to be active for the game rather than in the emergency role.

The change could have some impact on decisions teams make about keeping third quarterbacks through Tuesday’s roster cuts.

10 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

What percentage of 1st round quarterbacks hit compared to 5th - 7th round quarterbacks? You pick one 7th round guy to make your case. You think Pratt or Clifford has anything close to the upside of Purdy? I know you don't. 

I agree with you regarding what Packer management is likely to do. I hope it doesn't bite us in the ***. 

So, you didn't answer the question.  Can't blame you, as it refutes your thought process.  Luckily I'm here, so I'll answer it for you.

Trey Lance was the third overall pick in the 2021 draft.  Brock Purdy was the 262nd pick in the 2022 draft.

Why did I pick those two?  It wasn't because they are the easiest and perfect example to show how flawed your thinking can be, though it did help.

But no, they were chosen because that is as close as a comparison as can be made because they were on the 49ers roster at the same time.  Same HC.  Same scheme.  Same players around them.  It is as close as it can get when looking at this dynamic.

One made it.  One has not.

You, me, most of us on here, we do not have enough data on Pratt or Clifford to know if they could make it.  We aren't in practice to see them throwing to the 1's, or working with the entire first team.  We aren't in the classroom to see if they are learning concepts, we just aren't privileged to all of that data.

So, we have pre-season games.  Clifford looked pretty good last year when he was throwing to first year kids who actually had to play in the pre-season.  Our team is so young that yeah, he had those guys around them.  This year Clifford is getting the 2's and 3'd.  Same for Pratt.  It's a tough eval.  To be fair, each has looked poor so far, so maybe that says more about the 30+ guys that we have chosen not to play and the others that we've trotted out there to get through pre-season.

You want better backup potential.  So do I.  We agree that the club will probably not acquire another player due to cost and due to the GB philosophy of draft and develop.

But let's not sit here and feel like just because a kid is a high pick means he's 100% going to be better than mid to late round picks who are already here, working with the coaches and getting into the playbook.

• Like 1

Jordan Love

Jordan Love QB

Ryan Tannehill Career Stats | NFL.com

Ryan Tannehill QB

yipybna8zrjayzj3k0hf.jpg

Pratt QB

AP source: Raiders place franchise tag on All-Pro RB Josh Jacobs

Josh Jacobs RB

ml9vm7pp19evla9zyimz.jpg   wsox1nmuxb7luymbyo4r.jpg   xlqu38ku2sprljpphkzt.jpg

Dillon RB              Wilson RB           Lloyd RB (IR)

Christian Watson (Hip) A Game-Time Decision Live Stream of National ...

Christian Watson WR

Packers WR Romeo Doubs impressing in training camp | Yardbarker

Romeo Doubs WR

Packers rookie WR Jayden Reed hopeful to play through…

Jayden Reed WR

uvkwkzczdsxkx2fma8nb.jpg   ylizjfdo5s4mqeskkwju.jpg   ll55z4cbnrdoyv5cumlx.jpg

Wicks WR           Heath WR            Melton WR

Luke Musgrave Named Green Bay TE1, Other 2022 Beavers Cut - BeaversEdge

Luke Musgrave TE

sne3fnmuk4cicl8u9siu.jpg   zhqowlh0b09j5zxjnt2z.jpg   xkmty5rwdlyrjo2sjmwr.jpg   prbdikenaexgp53akbgt.jpg

Kraft TE               Sims TE               Wilson TE           Davis TE (IR)

Packers RT Zach Tom confident he’s over knee injury

Zach Tom RT

Packers first-round selection Jordan Morgan debuts at rookie minicamp

Jordan Morgan RG

Packers C Josh Myers was PFF’s highest-graded OL in…

Josh Myers C

Elgton Jenkins opens at right tackle in first team period since return ...

Elgton Jenkins LG

Packers Bench LT Rasheed Walker vs Vikings

Rasheed Walker LT

omq3xl5pfemcr9atp1ho.jpg   ilacc1fzljaszqidv1mw.jpg   bdmgrh3wcz4vrci68val.jpg   vrrkzzoozyksixagz4y7.jpg

Rhyan G/C           Dillard T              Monk C                Telfort T

Packers P Daniel Whelan among several young players…

Daniel Whelan P

Packers rookie K Anders Carlson bounces back during Family Night

Anders Carlson K

42-Matt-Orzech-RAS

Matt Orzech LS

Green Bay Packers: Preston Smith starting to turn his season around

Preston Smith DE

A Week 5 silver lining: Packers DL TJ Slaton - Acme Packing Company

TJ Slaton DT

Green Bay Packers make Kenny Clark highest-paid nose tackle - CGTN

Kenny Clark DT

Packers linebacker Rashan Gary signs four-year, $107 million contract ...

Rashan Gary DE

cyrgpikfzubporau7llb.jpg   rbtenbmsedc4yvuypuge.jpg   cgwj4ld2mpwhispax6zm.jpg   sdb7al7g4xfuwsfekfgx.jpg   wx7wgaugwpuvwigeo4ls.jpg   wm3ziivgt7pw3xzdc1uj.jpg

Cox Jr. DE           Enagbare DE       LVN DT/DE          Wyatt DT             Brooks DT           Wooden DE

Packers LB Quay Walker deletes Twitter account, isn't expected to be ...

Quay Walker ILB

‘Proven that he’s prepared,’ Packers LB Isaiah McDuffie playing ‘with ...

Isaiah McDuffie LB

Green Bay Packers announce re-signing of linebacker Eric Wilson - On3

Eric Wilson LB

uahb3n3onne2bfmtvc4f.jpg   ouhwmxriasunzi5iyu7s.jpg   qiirxipjgrzz1taxr5cc.jpg

Hopper LB           Welch LB            Cooper LB (IR)

Jaire Alexander NFL Wallpapers - Wallpaper Cave

Jaire Alexander CB

NFL Way to Play: Packers CB Eric Stokes wins Week 2 award

Eric Stokes CB

cgndfks8o202zj3nhjzj.jpg   wxyqufq0oqu8hmf8hg0e.jpg  hodxva3vdv63nckb4srr.jpg   pw59p40ve4uucfsj88jm.jpg

Nixon CB/RS       Valentine CB      Ballentine CB      King CB

Packers’ Xavier McKinney ranked as NFL’s fourth-best safety entering ...

Xavier McKinney S

Javon Bullard brings Georgia football standard to Green Bay, ready to ...

Javon Bullard S

nflxxh1pirb1khbrmg0q.jpg   uqqd58a0wmb8fa7zzrgn.jpg  hbcxqwh4iihp8lpiob3f.jpg   luusu1z0xnensbpssays.jpg

Anderson S         Johnson JR.  S   Williams S           Oladapo S (IR)

PS:

b2h3monjv4gqe7msvrib.jpg   n3tluyn06wgasyad5lew.jpg   nzn0ebfdyk4bps1ninx9.jpg   tdp5cvyicfovxieqaqod.jpg   h9cw8gajvoocutbosr9n.jpg   s3en2k45s3fqt8wey0ak.jpg   tbzhhsqxgumizmzrh8tz.jpg

Clifford QB          DuBose WR        Glover OL             Hale K                 Hicks WR            Jennings OL       Mosby DE

cd5v4i461bsaenxayrv0.jpg   f5nvyblpjptlocgvzxez.jpg   ulvm9irrbw9ayynfaant.jpg   ulzm5zxavf2mvfnqprju.jpg

Schad DL             Waege DL           Swinson TE         Tenuta

QB and K cuts:

Buffalo: QB Anthony Brown
Miami: QB Mike White
Cincinnati: QB Rocky Lombardi
Indianapolis: QB Kedon Slovis
Kansas City: QB Ian Book
Los Angeles Chargers: QB Max Duggan
Atlanta: QB John Paddock
Los Angeles Rams: QB Dresser Winn
Minnesota: QB Matt Corral

Indianapolis: K Spencer Shrader
Washington: K Riley Patterson

Edited by Brat&Beer
Addition

2 hours ago, Brat&Beer said:

Practice Squad: Robert Rochell, Jonathan Ford, Donovan Jennings, Alex Hale, Ralen Goforth, Zayne Anderson, Miichael Pratt, Ellis Merriweather, Travis Glover, KaDeem Telfort, Luke Tenuta, Joel Wilson, Julian Hicks, Aaron Mosby, Lecitus Smith, Tyler Davis, Caleb Jones

Not a misprint. I do not have a kicker on my initial 53. They will pick someone up or resign Carlson or Joseph. 

I think this is a very likely scenario. Carrying their initial 53 with no kicker, at least for a few days until they sort that out. 

19 minutes ago, Brat&Beer said:

QB and K cuts:

Buffalo: QB Anthony Brown
Miami: QB Mike White
Cincinnati: QB Rocky Lombardi
Indianapolis: QB Kedon Slovis
Kansas City: QB Ian Book
Los Angeles Chargers: QB Max Duggan
Atlanta: QB John Paddock
Los Angeles Rams: QB Dresser Winn

Indianapolis: K Spencer Shrader
Washington: K Riley Patterson

The Titans may be the team to watch in the kicking battle. Folk is the incumbent and is coming off a great year but he's older (40 this year). Titans have been impressed by the rookie Narveson who has had a good preseason (lone miss was from 58). They will probably stick with Folk but it wouldn't shock me if they went with the rookie. Either one would be someone to maybe look at if you're the Packers. 

2 hours ago, Brat&Beer said:

That is fine and dandy.  Who is your first cut when we sign a kicker for week 1?

22 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

That is fine and dandy.  Who is your first cut when we sign a kicker for week 1?

Trade Newman!

Actually, trading a WR to Tennessee for Nick Folk or Brayden Narveson would make sense.  

Edited by Brat&Beer

1 hour ago, pack4to84 said:

Emergency QB must still be on 53-man roster after NFLPA vetoes rule change

NFL owners approved a change to the emergency quarterback rule in March that would allow teams to call up a player from the practice squad an unlimited number of times to be on the inactive list as a third quarterback on game days, but that change will not be in effect this season.

Per Tom Pelissero of NFL Media, the league sent a memo to teams informing them that the NFLPA vetoed the change. The veto means that any quarterback designated for the emergency role must already be on the 53-man roster. That is the same way the rule worked when it was adopted for the 2023 season.

The union likely saw the change as offering teams a way to stash a 54th member of the active roster on the practice squad.

Quarterbacks can still be elevated for games, but would still be subject to three elevations before they would have to be waived or released and they would have to be active for the game rather than in the emergency role.

The change could have some impact on decisions teams make about keeping third quarterbacks through Tuesday’s roster cuts.

This may lead to a high number of teams carrying 3 QBs on the 53.