53 Man Roster thread

Old Guy

9 hours ago, wgbeethree said:

No one is going to claim Wilson. Cut him, sign him to the PS, and pull him up 4 times in the first 4 weeks if you really want but there's almost no reason outside of injury to keep him on the 53. 

Neither you or I know if someone would claim him, but that wasn't my point or concern. Gutes pointed out last year that with the current PS rules that it allowed them to keep the best 53 and be a little more unconventional with the roster makeup with the numbers they can now keep on the PS. Wilson made the opening day 53 last year as a rookie and averaged over 6 yards a carry on the season, also was active for both playoff games and saw action on offense in both of those games. 

Wilson is a big RB who has some juice and now has spent an offseason in the Packers training program, yet many people act like he has no chance to make the 53. 

Him making the 53 is yet to be determined, but he is getting sold short here.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, R T said:

Neither you or I know if someone would claim him, but that wasn't my point or concern. Gutes pointed out last year that with the current PS rules that it allowed them to keep the best 53 and be a little more unconventional with the roster makeup with the numbers they can now keep on the PS. Wilson made the opening day 53 last year as a rookie and averaged over 6 yards a carry on the season, also was active for both playoff games and saw action on offense in both of those games. 

Wilson is a big RB who has some juice and now has spent an offseason in the Packers training program, yet many people act like he has no chance to make the 53. 

I agree with all of this. The other thing people are not considering is Dillon may be listed as a RB and play different roles. He may play the Deguara role (hopefully better). It is not a stretch to think Lloyd would be the #2 back. One would think it is almost a certainty. 

Dillon's cap # is just over 1.2 million this year with a void year of just over 1.2 million. This looks to me like a signing to see if he could do other things. If not, there is not much downside to cutting him this year as an option.

I think the Packers are more likely to keep Wilson as RB three than Dillon. He has more juice in the running game. 

Conclusion for me is the Packers plans are to keep 4, with Dillon doing the other things. Wilson likely is a game day inactive as Dillon could assume carries if either Jacobs or Lloyd get injured during a game.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Old Guy said:

I agree with all of this. The other thing people are not considering is Dillon may be listed as a RB and play different roles. He may play the Deguara role (hopefully better). It is not a stretch to think Lloyd would be the #2 back. One would think it is almost a certainty. 

Dillon's cap # is just over 1.2 million this year with a void year of just over 1.2 million. This looks to me like a signing to see if he could do other things. If not, there is not much downside to cutting him this year as an option.

I think the Packers are more likely to keep Wilson as RB three than Dillon. He has more juice in the running game. 

Conclusion for me is the Packers plans are to keep 4, with Dillon doing the other things. Wilson likely is a game day inactive as Dillon could assume carries if either Jacobs or Lloyd get injured during a game.

This is precisely what will happen. I wouldn't call him a gadget player, but he'll be more of a utility player like Juszczyk does for the 49ers. If only we could turn him into a reliable short yardage back given his size.

5 hours ago, R T said:

This should be considered an understatement. He averaged 10.8 yards a carry against a tough Rams defense late in the season and he can be reliable in the passing game. Methinks he and Dillon will have similar roles working more outside or towards the outside of the hashes in the passing game or on sweeps whereas Lloyd and Jacobs will be more north-south the way Jones was used. That kind of diversity makes the offense that much more potent IMHO. 

2 hours ago, Rosser80 said:

He averaged 10.8 yards a carry against a tough Rams defense late in the season and he can be reliable in the passing game. 

Wilson had 4 carries in the final two minutes of the blowout win vs the Rams where he broke off a 31 yard run.  But look at that ypc average! 

Late in the season?  It was week 9.

Wilson has 4 career receptions on 5 targets for 23 yards. Reliable!

Of course nobody "knows" which position(s) Gute will choose to go heavy on the roster.  I just can't think of many (i.e. any) reasons for RB to be one of those positions.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

Wilson had 4 carries in the final two minutes of the blowout win vs the Rams where he broke off a 31 yard run.  But look at that ypc average! 

Late in the season?  It was week 9.

Wilson has 4 career receptions on 5 targets for 23 yards. Reliable!

Of course nobody "knows" which position(s) Gute will choose to go heavy on the roster.  I just can't think of many (i.e. any) reasons for RB to be one of those positions.

Yeah, I mean, if EW31 was to be kept on the 53, to me it'd have to be because he was very valuable on special teams and Bisaccia wanted him or something.

I suppose you could debate over who's really better between him and Dillon, but the coaches and Gute would seem to like Dillon more, at least thus far.

The Packers brought in and played Patrick Taylor, James Robinson, and Kenyan Drake after the Rams game  while Wilson got a grand total of zero snaps over the last 7 games of the regular season. That's just not what I would call a ringing endorsement of the young man or his future here. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, wgbeethree said:

The Packers brought in and played Patrick Taylor, James Robinson, and Kenyan Drake after the Rams game  while Wilson got a grand total of zero snaps over the last 7 games of the regular season. That's just not what I would call a ringing endorsement of the young man or his future here. 

Lol, because he was on the IR. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, wgbeethree said:

Yeah I want Wilson to succeed more than  most cause he went to Fort Valley. 

But he had every opportunity to make a difference and didn't.

I wouldn't bet on him at all.

2 hours ago, GHARMON9 said:

Yeah I want Wilson to succeed more than  most cause he went to Fort Valley. 

But he had every opportunity to make a difference and didn't.

I wouldn't bet on him at all.

He had flashes, and dealt with injury. I still want to see how he looks as a healthy option hopefully in some earlier preseason reps. He’s pretty clearly RB4 but that can change, up or down, in a hurry. He and the guy from Alcorn State seem like good PS candidates.  I hope we are always looking for depth guys at RB because injuries can stack up there in a hurry, but also it’s a position where you can strike gold or at least silver with lesser known guys. Just have to keep churning and hope talent meets opportunity. 

At the very least, I can agree that it's not unusual for teams running Shanny style offenses to go with 4 RB's on the roster.  I just don't see where it makes much sense for GB to go that route.  It's also very possible that Wilson could change my opinion on this subject with an impressive camp.

On 6/1/2024 at 4:25 PM, Old Guy said:

Lloyd had major ball security issues and concerns over pass protection so I would assume Dillon will be RB2 in terms of if Jacobs goes down you wouldn't want Lloyd to take over as the lead back until he can be trusted. I see Dillon largely as the safety valve here in this offense. 

• Like 1

On 6/3/2024 at 6:01 PM, mikemike778 said:

Lloyd had major ball security issues and concerns over pass protection so I would assume Dillon will be RB2 in terms of if Jacobs goes down you wouldn't want Lloyd to take over as the lead back until he can be trusted. I see Dillon largely as the safety valve here in this offense. 

See this is what we're talking about when it comes to specific roles. Dillon excels in a few important areas that Lloyd and, probably, Wilson will have to grow into or improve upon. Experience as an every down back also plays into his role as well as the RB room is clearly in transition.

On 6/1/2024 at 6:12 PM, wgbeethree said:

Yet they're all gone and he's still here. So he must have something the Packers like. My guess is his pass pro wasn't good enough to make them comfortable giving him more playing time. That's something a lot of rookies struggle with.