How much stock do you put into the Jags?

mdonnelly21

1 hour ago, lancerman said:

They are..... you had a similar sentiment about the Pats defense last year too btw 

Your defense wasn't lights out in the playoffs last year, and they were a far better unit starltistically then.(if what you're saying is true)

4 minutes ago, JBURGE25 said:

The Jags are league average in offensive yards and points per drive. Their defense is first in defensive yards and points given up per drive. 

source as of week 14: http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/drivestats 

The Jags offense is not that impressive. It is average at best. The offensive yards can be argued is 12th because their defense gives them better field position, but the points at 16th is clear. 

The Jags are an elite, and next year maybe an all-time great, defense. Hell, maybe they are now. But don't pretend that the Jags are a top 5 offense.

Sure. All of this is fine. Is the offense a stand alone top 5 unit? No. But the team’s make up affords them the ability to score at a per game rate higher than all but a select few teams. My point is that this team doesn’t solely get by solely because the defense doesn’t allow the opposition to score. The team is put in a position that they can score with the best of them as well.

1 minute ago, iPwn said:
23 minutes ago, JBURGE25 said:

The Jags are league average in offensive yards and points per drive. Their defense is first in defensive yards and points given up per drive. 

source as of week 14: http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/drivestats 

The Jags offense is not that impressive. It is average at best. The offensive yards can be argued is 12th because their defense gives them better field position, but the points at 16th is clear. 

The Jags are an elite, and next year maybe an all-time great, defense. Hell, maybe they are now. But don't pretend that the Jags are a top 5 offense.

Sure. All of this is fine. Is the offense a stand alone top 5 unit? No. But the team’s make up affords them the ability to score at a per game rate higher than all but a select few teams. My point is that this team doesn’t solely get by solely because the defense doesn’t allow the opposition to score. The team is put in a position that they can score with the best of them as well.

Well said. Agree.

51 minutes ago, iPwn said:

The Jaguars are the #6 scoring offense and #6 yardage offense in football. Where is this “unbalanced” nonsense coming from?

Stats are very nice for the Jaguars, but the "unbalanced" stuff comes from is Blake Bortles in the playoffs seems like a disaster waiting to happen

Just now, jrry32 said:

Your defense wasn't lights out in the playoffs last year, and they were a far better unit starltistically then.(if what you're saying is true)

Held the Texans to 16 points. Held the Steelers to 17. A historically great Falcons team scored 28 but one was off a pick six that had nothing to do with the defense, one was off a fumble by Blount that gave them good field position, then they proceeded to shut the Falcons offense down for the last quarter and a half and got a major strip sack that changed the game. 

So yeah they played very strong last year. In fact I'd argue our offense was the biggest problem in the Texans and Falcons game 

3 minutes ago, lancerman said:

Held the Texans to 16 points. Held the Steelers to 17. A historically great Falcons team scored 28 but one was off a pick six that had nothing to do with the defense, one was off a fumble by Blount that gave them good field position, then they proceeded to shut the Falcons offense down for the last quarter and a half and got a major strip sack that changed the game. 

So yeah they played very strong last year. In fact I'd argue our offense was the biggest problem in the Texans and Falcons game 

The Falcons were torching you until they got complacent and giving up 16 points to the Brock Osweiler-led Texans is not a positive. This was with your defense being #1 in PPG and #8 in YPG. Your defense is nowhere near that this year.

The Jaguars are a more balanced team than you are.

1 minute ago, lancerman said:

Held the Texans to 16 points

Houston scored 17.9 points per game last year.

6 minutes ago, lancerman said:

Held the Steelers to 17.

Who were without Bell for 3 quarters.

Neither of these are that impressive.

The Jaguars are 1 point behind the Rams for highest point differential in football; 44 ahead of the Patriots and 99 ahead of the Steelers. Per game, their point differential is higher than a FG and TD over the two, respectively.

12 minutes ago, MookieMonster said:

Stats are very nice for the Jaguars, but the "unbalanced" stuff comes from is Blake Bortles in the playoffs seems like a disaster waiting to happen

Very possible.

Alternatively however, Blake threw for 95 yards on 14 passes, threw a pick and had a passer rating of 48.2 when the Jaguars last faced the Steelers. The Jaguars won 30-9. So it’s also possible they don’t need Blake to play *that well* down the stretch to score on teams. 

35 minutes ago, iPwn said:

Houston scored 17.9 points per game last year.

Who were without Bell for 3 quarters.

Neither of these are that impressive.

Houston I agree - not terribly impressive. Steelers with Roethlisberger and AB? Holding them to <20 was impressive, especially considering Pittsburgh's last TD came when the Patriots were up 27 with less than 4 minutes to play. Besides, the Patriots had pretty much shut down Bell before he got injured, so there's no reason to think that wouldn't continue. That defense also held the Falcons' offense to 21 points in the Super Bowl. Falcons scored 34 pts/game in the regular season and put up 34 on Seattle and 44 on the Packers in the playoffs. So while I wouldn't say the Patriots defense was lights out on par with Seattle in 2013 or Denver in 2015, it was undoubtedly impressive.

I do think this year's Jags have a defense that could match or outperform the Patriots' D last season and possibly go on a run that rivals some of the better playoff defensive performance over the last decade or so. And I think they probably would have to do something like that if they want a chance at winning the SB.

I don't really buy into the whole argument about strength of schedule. You play who you play, and if you perform well against them, kudos. There were a lot of posters here saying that NE's #1 defense last season was a fraud specifically due to SoS. Then the D went out and held each playoff opponent below their season averages, and in the case of the Steelers and Falcons, significantly so. Jags have that potential and more, IMO.

1 hour ago, jrry32 said:

The Falcons were torching you until they got complacent and giving up 16 points to the Brock Osweiler-led Texans is not a positive. This was with your defense being #1 in PPG and #8 in YPG. Your defense is nowhere near that this year.

The Jaguars are a more balanced team than you are.

The Falcons scored two TD's that weren't the result of offensive turnovers the entire game. 

1 hour ago, MookieMonster said:

Actually the unbalanced stuff came from me and had nothing to do with saying the Jaguars are unbalanced.

3 hours ago, lancerman said:

Okay. Jacksonville had probably the weakest schedule of the three, plays in the worst division of the the three, two of their last 3 games were against the bottom two defenses, and they still have a worse record. 

I get people love to jump on the new shiny thing, maybe in the NFC where the top teams really aren't that dominant they have a shot, but in the AFC it's the same thing every year. You don't get the benefit of the doubt until you pull a Ravens and actually do it. Better teams than Jacksonville have tried and failed. 

I agree. Just saying. 

Also, let's GTFO of this thread. 

Archived