Detroit signs Jared Goff to 4 year extension worth $212 million/$170 M guaranteed

NVRamsFan

1 hour ago, General Tso said:

I can only hope he breaks the "QB making more than 13% of cap doesn't win SB" barrier

Considering Goffs cap hit with the Rams, I think Stafford already broke that in 2021.

Not Stafford himself, but "dollars allocated to a QB" was certainly more than 13% for us in 2021

• Like 2

Just now, FrantikRam said:

Considering Goffs cap hit with the Rams, I think Stafford already broke that in 2021.

Not Stafford himself, but "dollars allocated to a QB" was certainly more than 13% for us in 2021

They did, but @MacReadydoes not accept this or the mahomes wins. 

He will not give up the fight!

1 hour ago, Forge said:

Nothing really wrong with this contact as a whole, but there's legit no real case to be made for him to be "more steady" than Purdy. 

Can exclude Purdy based on a lack of sample in multiple situations, but no case to be made goff is "more steady" on the whole based on what we actually have seen. Goff is pretty much who I expect Purdy to be, tbh

Hurts suffers a little from being hurt last year. Will be more interesting with increased data this year. 

Dak has largely just been better than Goff for his career in terms of regular season performance

Not Purdys biggest fan. Interested in seeing how much his big contract is going to affect the 9ers roster and if they’ll be able to be as competitive with a less stacked roster. 

Will see with Hurts, I like him. But we’ll see if he can regain that magic that got him paid. 

Daks problem is not the regular season. 

I think he’s more the same tier as these guys, and comes down to preference. As opposed to comfortably ahead like the comment I quoted stated. 

• Like 1

Just now, FrantikRam said:

Didn't Patty Cakes break it a couple months ago? Was he under 13%?

• Like 1

On 5/13/2024 at 6:06 PM, FrantikRam said:

Mahomes was at 17% each of the last 2 years too.

• Like 1

Not interested in getting into a big discussion about it and will gladly admit if I'm wrong - I didn't really want the Rams to pay Goff and that ended up being a mistake, and I think the Lions just made their Super Bowl window down to just this season, and I'm pretty confident they won't win one with him

53 minutes ago, TakeTheBallDeep said:

That's a lot of money for a QB who led the Lions to their first NFC Championship appearance in over 30 years and is the most underrated player at his position in the league 

Lions will surely regret this and now you have to wonder if his teammates will resent him and eventually turn on the coaches and organization 

The F?

47 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

If anyone still thought Dak wasn't going to get the highest deal in NFL history if he hits the open market, I feel like that's basically guaranteed now.

Just to Lose in the first round of the playoffs ouch.

Posted (edited)

My gut tells me this is too much for a guy who was pretty mediocre for 3 straight seasons and has been average on the road the last 2 years.

And when I say too much, I don't mean in the sense that this deal isn't the going rate for QBs.  I just don't think Goff is worth it.  Easier for me as a fan to want a team to take a risk at the QB position, but this is an example of how teams hand out deals for QBs simply because they want to avoid that risk (and it is a pretty big risk, so I understand).  And realistically, we've probably already seen Goff's peak and its as what, a top-12 QB?   

Maybe this is a crazy take.  But I think the Buccaneers might have gotten better value with Baker (3yr/100m/50 guaranteed) than the Lions got with Goff (4yr/212m/170 guaranteed).  I would lean towards the Baker deal.

Edited by iknowcool
  • Like 4

Posted (edited)
On 5/13/2024 at 6:11 PM, FrantikRam said:

Are you giving Purdy $50 mil per year if it was up to you?

The alternative is giving Geno Smith $25MM/year, Baker Mayfield $33MM/year, or Daniel Jones $40MM/year.

Shoes, mattresses, tires, and QBs.

Edited by ramssuperbowl99
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)
On 5/13/2024 at 6:14 PM, iknowcool said:

Maybe this is a crazy take.  But I think the Buccaneers might have gotten better value with Baker (3yr/100m/50 guaranteed) than the Lions got with Goff (4yr/212m/170 guaranteed).

Baker is on a glorified one year deal so best case scenario he plays well again and the Bucs are staring at having to pay him this contract next year.

Same thing happened to the Lions, they got Goff from the Rams at $32MM/year.

Edited by ramssuperbowl99
  • Like 1