Official 2025 DL & EDGE Thread

goldfishwars

38 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

True but honestly preseason and early last year I bet teams planned for Baron more than Pearce.  But sure after the first four weeks or so teams knew who he was but it is to an entirely different level now, especially if some believe he is the #1 pick overall.  Honestly for that to happen he has to what, get 15+ sacks and 20+ TFLs?  That is not that simple to do.  Not to mention honestly that entire Tennessee defense no one else is like, wow watch out for that guy.  Maybe Omari Thomas will be a late round pick or UDFA but even he is not super hard to deal with, but sure some guys might emerge as stars possibly.  But teams will all be completely focused on Pearce every single game untill that happens and even if that happens they will still focus on Pearce Jr as the #1 threat.  

Payton no question was helped with Verse opposite him, but then again no one is calling Payton the #1 overall pick right now either.  And honestly it is rare air to be the #1 overall pick as an edge rusher.  Myles Garrett, Clowney, Mario Williams.  Like I have said before no way is Pearce as good as those dudes.  Travon Walker sure but he was more drafted because of his freak athletic ability and upside at 6-5 270 and not sure Pearce will ever weigh 270 and keep that speed and quickness.  And Walker was in a draft with no elite QBs or super elite OTs.  

Will be interesting how he does but totally blowing up statistically not sure that will happen.  Time will tell.  Payton with his 9 passes deflected last year is super elite and almost more impressive than someone getting 10 sacks honestly, that is hard to do from a DE spot but sure he dropped in coverage at times also.  

I think we can all agree that betting on any position other than QB to go #1 overall a year out is a very bad bet.

Right now, I have Pearce as a top 5 caliber prospect and Payton as top 10, the difference is the first step quickness.

How each does being an offense's primary focus this year will tell the story.

23 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

I think we can all agree that betting on any position other than QB to go #1 overall a year out is a very bad bet.

Right now, I have Pearce as a top 5 caliber prospect and Payton as top 10, the difference is the first step quickness.

How each does being an offense's primary focus this year will tell the story.

Honestly right now I have one edge pass rusher being selected top 10.  That is Abdul Carter because honestly he has already shown the ability to be a totally legit OLB with range or ILB with speed, is solid in coverage and can get after the passer on blitzes.  Now has been moved to the edge and putting on a little weight if he keeps that quickness and awareness he will be more proven and versatile than Payton or Pearce Jr.  He could be a monster on the edge and easily get 10+ sacks next year but we will see.

It is all see what they can do next year and none are proven or have the body right now honestly.  Closest thing to having the size and the pass rush moves for the position would be Nic Scourton at a legit what 280 with pass rush moves.  The rest are all pretty thin dudes that need to get stronger.  Mykel Williams is big but not very proven productively as a pass rusher and Tuimoloau has the hype but has never been a super dominating or productive player either, he has what 11 sacks in three years of playing a lot on Ohio State.  Landon Jackson another that has to take his game to another level and is one of the few that has the body, height weight right now and could really take off.  Perkins is hell to deal with on the edge but is too small and will probably be a hybrid blitzing OLB type if he improves there.  But his awareness is not great where Abdul Carter he is super aware and can find the football and if he is as quick off the edge as I think he will be he is way more versatile and being able to be a rangy 3/4 OLB.  Payton for sure unless he puts on a ton of muscle is more of a 3/4 OLB.  Pearce could be a 4/3 DE but does need to prove himself a bit more and get a bit bigger.

Landon Jackson has build, athletic upside and size to be a super high pick but again all depends on who produces and shows up next year.  

9 minutes ago, Scoundrel said:

And we will be looking back at this next April and you’ll have more… 

True but on the entire DL right now Deone Walker is the only one where it is like yeah you are absolute worth a top 10 pick.  Mason Graham also most likely, all the edge guys, yeah they have some improvements to make.  

One could argue in terms of impact pass rushing and being a dominating player, Harold Perkins has been harder to handle than any edge guy has been over the past two years.  And he most likely ends up as a ILB or OLB in the NFL and not a 3/4 OLB because of his size.  Then again Reddick has been great as an edge rusher in a hybrid role for 4/3 defenses as the third LB but mostly is a pass rusher a lot of the time.  

I probably underrate how good Perkins is honestly at LB even off the ball potentially, might have to move him back ahead of Carter.  Carter at least has the size to be a legit 3/4 OLB or DE type if he is at 250 keeping his typical speed.  

I think Pearce and JTT are the cream of the Edge crop myself.  Haven't watched a ton of the other guys specifically, but I've watched a lot of those teams' games, and they didn't jump off the tape that much.  Titans will probably have Edge as a big need in 24, so I'm sure I'll be watching everyone, but getting Pearce to stay in state would be a dream.

Graham at Michigan seems like an absolute blue chip player already at IDL.  I was a big fan of Kris Jenkins, and had him as a fringe first rounder, but the talent difference on tape between everyone else on that (very good) DL and Graham was obvious.  He's gonna be a monster.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Daniel said:

I think Pearce and JTT are the cream of the Edge crop myself.  Haven't watched a ton of the other guys specifically, but I've watched a lot of those teams' games, and they didn't jump off the tape that much.  Titans will probably have Edge as a big need in 24, so I'm sure I'll be watching everyone, but getting Pearce to stay in state would be a dream.

Graham at Michigan seems like an absolute blue chip player already at IDL.  I was a big fan of Kris Jenkins, and had him as a fringe first rounder, but the talent difference on tape between everyone else on that (very good) DL and Graham was obvious.  He's gonna be a monster.

What's your take on the other Michigan DT, Grant? 

41 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

What's your take on the other Michigan DT, Grant? 

No specific notes.  I watched a lot of tape this year to watch Jenkins, and came away really high on Jenkins, but I made notes that there are lots of really good players on that DL.  Graham is the one that stood out though.  Jenkins wouldn't have stood out like he did without watching him specifically, but Graham is a guy you don't have to look for.

I guess while we're at it, two IDLs I liked later in the draft that went back to school:

Patrick Jenkins, Tulane: A little on the smaller side, but showed off against the better teams that Tulane played.  Already a playmaker as a true DT, had 5.5 sacks and 11.5 TFLs last year, and started the season on a tear.  Had great games against Ole Miss and UTSA.

Omari Thomas, Tennessee: I'm a Vols fan, so I watch all their games, and Thomas is a monster (6'4" and 320) who probably would have been a Day 2 pick if he came out this year.  Doesn't show up much in the stat sheet, since he anchors the middle a lot, but he's not a true nose tackle, and can play 3 tech or maybe 5 tech in the NFL at a high level.  Should test well.

• Like 3

On 5/21/2024 at 6:20 PM, jebrick said:

Grant is a NT (zero or 1 tech) and thus will be undervalued.  20 years ago he is a sure 1st round pick.  He is good but less value for 2 down run stuffers.

Yeah but he’s got way more upside than just a run stuffer. Grant is a great athlete who has good conditioning. He’s gonna be an every down DT. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Daniel said:

Patrick Jenkins, Tulane: A little on the smaller side, but showed off against the better teams that Tulane played.  Already a playmaker as a true DT, had 5.5 sacks and 11.5 TFLs last year, and started the season on a tear.  Had great games against Ole Miss and UTSA.

He was top 70 on my board before he went back

25 minutes ago, Armbar said:

Yeah but he’s got way more upside than just a run stuffer. Grant is a great athlete who has good conditioning. He’s gonna be an every down DT. 

Agreed

On 5/22/2024 at 11:18 PM, Armbar said:

At 335 in college, you will be lucky if he can be a 3 down DT for his entire rookie contract but YMMV

40 minutes ago, jebrick said:

At 335 in college, you will be lucky if he can be a 3 down DT for his entire rookie contract but YMMV

DJ Reader and DJ Jones have both made very good livings in the NFL as mostly just a big run stopper and not sure either one of them are a 3 down player.  Grant I would say has more upside than either of those guys.  And he has more pass rush juice than you think.   The difference with guys like Derrick Brown, Buckner, Lawrence and Vea is they can all get after the passer pretty well along with being a big run stoppper and all get paid $17-$24 mil a year.  

Even Davon Hamilton makes around $11 mil a year as a run stopper and not sure he is even that good of a player honestly.  If Grant can keep progressing as a pass rusher he could be a solid 1st round pick.