Broncos LB Drew Sanders tears Achilles

RaidersAreOne

Definitely bad timing for the dude. He was such a disappointment last year and could barely get/stay on the field he was so bad. This was supposed to be a bit of a make or break 2nd year for him also experimenting with moving him to outside linebacker. Other part to this is he's 23yo with a torn achilles. That doesn't bode well for his career. Luckily for him, he is a freak athlete and could heal better now than if he was older so I wouldn't completely write him off yet. I guess we'll see but definitely hope he's able to carve out a role for himself

1 hour ago, El Ramster said:

Post good players who get hurt. No idea who this man is! I doubt the 32 ranked broncos defenses would have missed him this year. 

He was a big name in the draft cycle. LB out of Arkansas. I hadn't heard much about him afterward.

Unfortunate for him. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, raidersedge said:

There was a lot of hype with him. If I'm not mistaken he was an ILB but had the ability to rush from multiple positions. Sucks for guys to go down in year two, its such a big year for them.

He was basically a smaller rush LB that was moved to ILB. I don't think he had experience playing off-ball, which was one of the question marks at the time. 

4 hours ago, Karnage84 said:

He was basically a smaller rush LB that was moved to ILB. I don't think he had experience playing off-ball, which was one of the question marks at the time. 

He did play off ball for 1 year in college, but was bleh. Very slow to react when reading box play, which I assume was his issue in year 1. Intriguing skill set…limitless skill set really. He should be a 4-3 SAM, but nobody stays in their 4-3 defense anymore. It’s all 3-4 rush packages or nickel with the SAM subbing out for a corner. 

• Like 3

I was decently high on him as a mid round guy before the bears went out and signed the whole free agency lb class. Athletic lb for sure. Didn’t look like his career was taking off and this is one of the worst things to try to come back from. Best of luck to him. 

On 5/23/2024 at 1:26 PM, Armbar said:

He did play off ball for 1 year in college, but was bleh. Very slow to react when reading box play, which I assume was his issue in year 1. Intriguing skill set…limitless skill set really. He should be a 4-3 SAM, but nobody stays in their 4-3 defense anymore. It’s all 3-4 rush packages or nickel with the SAM subbing out for a corner. 

Yeah, I think a current issue with position evaluation and investment in the draft is how all LBs essentially get lumped together and are drafted as if they're interchangeable. It's a flawed strategy.

You wouldn't draft a FB with a 2nd round pick, would you? 4-3 Sam LB is a niche position nowadays and plays <30% of the defensive snaps even if the team uses the role at all and spends a roster spot on the position. Yes, you can find someone who's very intriguing and promising in the role and who might add an element that your defense is missing, but it's just not smart investment to use a day 1 or 2 pick on that.