Steelers extend HC Mike Tomlin through 2027

SteelKing728

2 hours ago, El Ramster said:

Most overrated HC the last 50 years. Carried by players he never drafted.. dudes nothing without Bill. He’s a glorified Jon Gruden Tampa bay redux.. But but but but he’s never had a losing season! Lol

As a Steelers…I’m no fan of this extension.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, El Ramster said:

Fisher could draft monster talent! He just couldn’t use it 😆 dude would hire the worse OC ever. But man he would draft us players up the wazoo. 

Exactly...?

Look at the Steelers the last handful of years sans Pickett

The Fisher comp might make sense if Tomlin lost another SIXTY-FIVE games and didn’t have a ring lol

If it’s so easy to put together 17 consecutive non-losing seasons, I think more coaches should just do that and gain job security.

• Like 8

4 hours ago, El Ramster said:

Most overrated HC the last 50 years. Carried by players he never drafted.. dudes nothing without Bill. He’s a glorified Jon Gruden Tampa bay redux.. But but but but he’s never had a losing season! Lol

How long has he been head coach?  Eventually, he has to start getting credit for the players he drafted, because he keeps winning.  They are not all from the previous regime.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Soggust said:

The Fisher comp might make sense if Tomlin lost another SIXTY-FIVE games and didn’t have a ring lol

If it’s so easy to put together 17 consecutive non-losing seasons, I think more coaches should just do that and gain job security.

He's definitely a great coach. But I could see his tenure ending like Andy Reid's did in Philadelphia... great coach, but his message is getting stale. But like Reid, he'd be the front runner for most head coaching jobs if he were ever let go.

That's why I said I have mixed feelings about this as a Browns fan. The Steelers have been largely mediocre (and just lucky) the past few years, but they could so easily do worse than Tomlin.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, vike daddy said:

if Tomlin stays employed through his new contract, the Steelers will have had only 3 coaches over 59 years.

Of all the player stats and other records in the league, that number has to be one of the most remarkable.  Not only have they only had the three coaches, but it's not like they have been languishing as a bottom dweller in the league for decades either.  Their success has been amazing.  They are a very well run organization, and they always have been.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, DawgX said:

He's definitely a great coach. But I could see his tenure ending like Andy Reid's did in Philadelphia... great coach, but his message is getting stale. But like Reid, he'd be the front runner for most head coaching jobs if he were ever let go.

That's why I said I have mixed feelings about this as a Browns fan. The Steelers have been largely mediocre (and just lucky) the past few years, but they could so easily do worse than Tomlin.

Tomlin has many strengths and many weaknesses.

People talk him up how he hasn't had a losing season and gets his seemingly mediocre teams to play above their talent.....but somehow excuses were always made when his good teams regularly played DOWN.

Tomlin certainly doesn't deserve all the blame for our issues over the years, but Im so tired of the media and outside fans who barely watch the Steelers putting him on a pedastal he absolutely doesn't belong on.

Tomlin at this point is like a baseball player who gets walked every time he is up to bat and usually gets caught stealing second.    Sure he gets on base every time very unspectacularly, but he cant seem to get beyond first base unless someone  drives him to another base.

12 hours ago, Soggust said:

Tomlin won a ring when it was still entirely Bill Cower's roster.

He's had some success with his own teams even a decade later, but from 2018-2023 has definitely been Jef Fisher-esque.

1 hour ago, warfelg said:

We’ve needed to bottom out and have been a rebuilding team since 2020, yet are in the playoff conversation every year. And that’s been with bottom 1/3 QB play.

Him not finding a QB is all on him. Him not being able to find a good OC is on him. You’re showing me a guy who needs to be carried. It’s because of him that they’re in this mess. Giving him a 3 year extension is the equivalent of calling the firefighters after you’ve set fire to a building. Just because he’s been ok doesn’t mean they can’t do better or worse. He’s been super bleh… The defense alone should have been enough to carry them

to a respectable record. Maybe he shouldn’t have traded for Minkah who’s been good maybe even spectacular! Still wasn’t worth what they gave up for. 

Mike Tomlin has only survived this long because he has 1 ring a long time ago! And the rooneys hate firing coaches.  

9 minutes ago, El Ramster said:

Him not being able to find a good OC is on him.

There was a Dulac report out there that Canada was an ARII call. 

11 minutes ago, El Ramster said:

The defense alone should have been enough to carry them

They have been. Top 10 scoring defense 11/17 years he’s been HC. 

11 minutes ago, El Ramster said:

You’re showing me a guy who needs to be carried. It’s because of him that they’re in this mess.

What roster was good enough to be better than where they ended up?

12 minutes ago, El Ramster said:

Maybe he shouldn’t have traded for Minkah who’s been good maybe even spectacular! Still wasn’t worth what they gave up for. 

1, GMs make trades not coaches. 2, huh? How is having a top 3 safety for a single 1st round pick (that was late teens) not worth it?

2 hours ago, Danger said:

I don’t love the idea of giving credit for a SB to a guy two years after he retired and three years since his own SB (that took him 14 years to win). 

But even if I steelman that as true, that just tells me Tomlin is a fine coach and crappy team builder, which doesn’t seem out of the norm (see: Belichick)

2 hours ago, Danger said:

He's had some success with his own teams even a decade later, but from 2018-2023 has definitely been Jef Fisher-esque.

2018-2023 Tomlin - .588 reg season w%
2010-2016 Fisher - .402 reg season w%

Tomlin 3 playoff appearances 0 wins
Fisher 0 playoff appearances 0 wins  

Comparing last 6 years? No way. 

Unless the argument is now, “Well if you compare the worst section of Tomlin’s career to the entirety of a 22-year coaches career (where he obv had highs that kept him in the league so long) then we can certainly make it look closer (where Tomlin is still clearly ahead sans playoffs).  

But then I’m obviously going to cut a section of Tom Brady’s career and compare it to someone like Rivers for dramatic effect lol. 

Edited by Soggust
  • Like 2