Is the 2003 Vikings collapse the worst in NFL history?

On 7/8/2024 at 3:18 PM, Football_Bachelor08 said:

The 1995 team started 8-2 then lost their last six games.

That was because QB Jeff Hostetler got hurt and missed most of the last six games or so. They had to go with Billy Joe Hobert and a 90-year old Vince Evans at QB.

• Like 1

On 7/4/2024 at 4:10 PM, iknowcool said:

Of teams that still made the playoffs, maybe the 2008 Giants.  That was a damn good team, certainly one of the better teams off the top of my head to go one-and-done in the playoffs.  They were 10-1 before Plaxico shot himself.  They lost 3 of their final 4 and couldn't do anything against Philly in the playoffs.  I'd say that squad was better than the ones that won the Super Bowl (07 and 11).

Oh what could have been! We were actually 11-1 and won 15 of 16 dating back to the 2007 playoffs, proving that they were no fluke. Beat both Super Bowl teams that year and crushed the Ravens vaunted run D.

The team just lost its soul because of Plax. Antonio Pierce aged about 15 years too, plus we already lost Strahan to retirement and Osi to injury.

Funny thing is that we didn't "collapse" per sé in the regular season. Beat a good Panthers team and were a missed FG away from beating the Vikings in a meaningless Week 17 game.

2009 was the REAL collapse. Started 5-0 and looked rejuvenated with Steve Smith, Nicks, and Manningham. But then the schedule tightened, Bill Sheridan was exposed as an idiot, and CC "Can't Cover" Brown happened.

Ironically the 2010 team that choked against the Eagles was statistically superior to 2011 but we were cursed that year. Thank God for 2011. The Giants could be crap for the rest of my life and I'll always have 2007 and 2011.

Edited by redsoxsuck05
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, redsoxsuck05 said:

Thank God for 2011. The Giants could be crap for the rest of my life and I'll always have 2007 and 2011.

That was a real miracle. If Tony Romo doesn't miss a wide open Miles Austin with about 2:30 left (and the Cowboys up by five) in their week 14 matchup with the Giants, Big Blue probably doesn't even make the playoffs, let alone win the Super Bowl (that should be talked about more in the "change one play" thread).

On 7/15/2024 at 2:00 AM, redsoxsuck05 said:

Oh what could have been! We were actually 11-1 and won 15 of 16 dating back to the 2007 playoffs, proving that they were no fluke. Beat both Super Bowl teams that year and crushed the Ravens vaunted run D.

The team just lost its soul because of Plax. Antonio Pierce aged about 15 years too, plus we already lost Strahan to retirement and Osi to injury.

Funny thing is that we didn't "collapse" per sé in the regular season. Beat a good Panthers team and were a missed FG away from beating the Vikings in a meaningless Week 17 game.

2009 was the REAL collapse. Started 5-0 and looked rejuvenated with Steve Smith, Nicks, and Manningham. But then the schedule tightened, Bill Sheridan was exposed as an idiot, and CC "Can't Cover" Brown happened.

Ironically the 2010 team that choked against the Eagles was statistically superior to 2011 but we were cursed that year. Thank God for 2011. The Giants could be crap for the rest of my life and I'll always have 2007 and 2011.

The '09 Giants drove me crazy. "Yes we're a great team... never mind, no we're not.. yes, we might be great again!... uh-oh, we suck again." They collapsed, but never so completely that the fans lost all hope. Until the last two games anyway.

The '94 Giants deserve mention as a team coming off an 11-5 resurgence that started 3-0, then the bye week hit and they lost SEVEN straight. Then they won six straight to finish 9-7, just out of reach of the playoffs.

On 7/15/2024 at 12:57 PM, 7DnBrnc53 said:

That was a real miracle. If Tony Romo doesn't miss a wide open Miles Austin with about 2:30 left (and the Cowboys up by five) in their week 14 matchup with the Giants, Big Blue probably doesn't even make the playoffs, let alone win the Super Bowl (that should be talked about more in the "change one play" thread).

Funny how that stuff works out. For all we know the Giants run the table in 2010 if they don't collapse against the Eagles. 2011 was so much fun, though.

• Like 1

On 7/16/2024 at 4:07 PM, redsoxsuck05 said:

Funny how that stuff works out. For all we know the Giants run the table in 2010 if they don't collapse against the Eagles. 2011 was so much fun, though.

2011 was a strange year. The champ was a 9-7 team and both No. 1 seeds were at the bottom of the league in yards allowed. I think it'll be a while before we see something like that again.

10 hours ago, Football_Bachelor08 said:

2011 was a strange year. The champ was a 9-7 team and both No. 1 seeds were at the bottom of the league in yards allowed. I think it'll be a while before we see something like that again.

and the 13-3 saints were 30th in yards allowed too!

Farve jets started 8-3 then finished 9-7, failing to make the playoffs. Only doesn't qualify because Farve suffered an injury that he tried to play through.

Eagles collapse last season was historic.

On 7/16/2024 at 2:46 PM, y*so*blu said:

The '94 Giants deserve mention as a team coming off an 11-5 resurgence that started 3-0, then the bye week hit and they lost SEVEN straight. Then they won six straight to finish 9-7, just out of reach of the playoffs.

I remember. That was year one of the Danger Dave era. Don't know what they saw in him. Should have traded Simms and kept Hostetler, or brought back Simms in 94 if he wanted to come back.

On 7/23/2024 at 10:17 PM, Steelersfan43 said:

and the 13-3 saints were 30th in yards allowed too!

Pass yards total. 16th in YPA though. Saints were blowing teams out that year forcing opponents to go pass happy so much in hopes of catching up.