Watching the other five 2024 1st round rookie QB's....

11 hours ago, vike daddy said:

When it comes to Drake Maye's performance in New England's training camp this summer, multiple people in attendance have confirmed that he hasn't looked very impressive.

Earlier this week, the Boston Globe's Ben Volin wrote that fellow Patriots rookie quarterback Joe Milton, a 2024 sixth-round pick, has "outplayed Maye over the first six practices of camp."

https://thevikingage.com/posts/minnesota-vikings-escaped-disaster-drake-maye-new-england-patriots?

@m haynes @Soko @Hunter2_1 - any validity to this statement, or is it just reporters needing to put something into circulation? how has Maye done so far? how pleased or displeased are die hard Pats fans with him?

Reports change like the wind.  I have learned over the years the beginning of camp means little.  I'm not a Maye fan but its to early to tell. I only care when the pads come on and what I have read he's struggled. Then they are back without pads and they say he's looked good.  So who knows.

My frustration is taking him with 3rd pick based on physical tools. The fans/writers always bring up the successful one for comparison however for every Josh Allen there has been 100 failures.

The Pats team is so bad from top to bottom. They needed to completely rebuild.  IMO they should of traded the pick. Maye is not close to starting and if he plays this year there's a good possibility it could ruin his career or at least slow his progress.  Pats OL is awful. The team is going to be one of the worse in the NFL this year, fact.  That doesn't bother me, what bothers me is that  management  didn't know/realized that and IMO they should of considered this before the draft. They are new from GM to water boy and lack talent. They should of had a plan with both 2024 and 2025 draft in mind. If they did they would of loaded up on picks not take a question mark Maye.  What team takes a QB at three that doesn't have his mechanic down pat. We are talking footwork for a 10 yard out !!!!  Mind boggling.

With the Vikings I'm not sure you dodged a bullet. I have the same doubt with McCarthy.  The GREAT advantage he has is the offensive skilled players that is night and day ahead of the Pats. JJ  is a smart kid however when it come playoff will he have the skill to carry the team or is he only a management QB, that the big question. IMO his arm strength is a major concern which will cause problems for him off platform. This is the NFL the stuff he did in college won't work at the next level.

Here's one, if Maye had McCarthy skills or he had Mayes physical ability,  we would have the greatest QB ever !!!!!!!! 😁

Last but not least Volin is the last guy you want to base a opinion on. Many Boston fan consider him a hack looking to be notice for years and failing miserably. He this guy... was Brady really good or was it the system or BB.

He would try to sell the latter !!!!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, vike daddy said:

ooof, sorry.

who is your QB Coach? who's mentoring Maye?

That's the problem its all new. We don't have a clue what we have.  There are guys that have experience but there a major concerns. IMO they were the only guys they could get and settled.

Also is was a major mistake hiring Mayo.

He not what the team needed. Two reason of many for me,experience and defensive minded.  Your offense stinks, you draft a QB at three and you put Mayo in charge, laughable. 

One more thing his calling card is a players coach, which to me is a disaster waiting to happen.Especially with this current team. See Pats history on that. They will turn on him quickly.  We are talking everyone, he will be the fall guy. From Fredo Crap, players, fans and media.  I say it start by or before the 7th game mark.

Mayo is the new Mac !!!!!

Edited by m haynes
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, m haynes said:

Reports change like the wind.  I have learned over the years the beginning of camp means little.  I'm not a Maye fan but its to early to tell. I only care when the pads come on and what I have read he's struggled. Then they are back without pads and they say he's looked good.  So who knows.

My frustration is taking him with 3rd pick based on physical tools. The fans/writers always bring up the successful one for comparison however for every Josh Allen there has been 100 failures.

The Pats team is so bad from top to bottom. They needed to completely rebuild.  IMO they should of traded the pick. Maye is not close to starting and if he plays this year there's a good possibility it could ruin his career or at least slow his progress.  Pats OL is awful. The team is going to be one of the worse in the NFL this year, fact.  That doesn't bother me, what bothers me is that  management  didn't know/realized that and IMO they should of considered this before the draft. They are new from GM to water boy and lack talent. They should of had a plan with both 2024 and 2025 draft in mind. If they did they would of loaded up on picks not take a question mark Maye.  What team takes a QB at three that doesn't have his mechanic down pat. We are talking footwork for a 10 yard out !!!!  Mind boggling.

With the Vikings I'm not sure you dodged a bullet. I have the same doubt with McCarthy.  The GREAT advantage he has is the offensive skilled players that is night and day ahead of the Pats. JJ  is a smart kid however when it come playoff will he have the skill to carry the team or is he only a management QB, that the big question. IMO his arm strength is a major concern which will cause problems for him off platform. This is the NFL the stuff he did in college won't work at the next level.

Here's one, if Maye had McCarthy skills or he had Mayes physical ability,  we would have the greatest QB ever !!!!!!!! 😁

Last but not least Volin is the last guy you want to base a opinion on. Many Boston fan consider him a hack looking to be notice for years and failing miserably. He this guy... was Brady really good or was it the system or BB.

He would try to sell the latter !!!!

The real issues with the Patriots is reaching on Polk, who could be a good player but they could have got Blake Fisher instead a much needed OT.  They got with Wallace as their OT and not sure he is all that good, was awful in pass pro a few years back and to me is not a LT at all, not sure Fisher is but Fisher has higher upside I feel.  Then getting Robinson he might be ok but who knows.  Patriots if they did not like Fisher could have also got Suamataia or Rosengarten as a potential LT so could be a big miss not taking them instead of Polk at WR.

Heck if they go just WR, taking Polk over Adonai Mitchell seems like a pretty big mistake, same with taking him over Corley as well.

Taking Maye I think was the best move they could have made, but in many ways they could have taken Joe Alt and solved that LT issue period.  But Maye gives them options and Joe Milton gives them developmental guy if Maye does not workout, but Maye to me was easily the 2nd most talented QB in the draft and despite being on a so so UNC team the kid is great in the pocket as a passer.  He is far ahead of McCarthy in terms of actually throwing the football, something he did a ton, and he is a better athlete arguably than McCarthy as well.  I do not think Maye is as bad as you make him out to be and QB is an issue for them so they address it, later in the draft is where the Patriots possibly made a mistake.

Dial could be and ok player though and and Javon Baker who knows but at least they did not reach to get him like Polk.  Then Bell at the end of the draft was outstanding, that dude is a force and could be a RB, TE or HB, I like him a lot and he should have went a lot higher in the draft.  So again the issue with that draft is not Maye to me it was that 2nd round pick and possibly the 3rd round pick.  And if Maye sits a year so what, Brissett is there for a reason and they also have Zappe

Patriots being one of the worst teams, maybe but only because of the possible OL and QB issue.  But if they have a healthy Gonzalez who could be a star and Marcus Jones, that along with Jonathon Jones is a very solid CB group with a good safety group.  Sucks Barmore could be out awhile, if not that defense could be solid no question.

On 8/3/2024 at 10:18 AM, Ozzy said:

The real issues with the Patriots is reaching on Polk, who could be a good player but they could have got Blake Fisher instead a much needed OT.  They got with Wallace as their OT and not sure he is all that good, was awful in pass pro a few years back and to me is not a LT at all, not sure Fisher is but Fisher has higher upside I feel.  Then getting Robinson he might be ok but who knows.  Patriots if they did not like Fisher could have also got Suamataia or Rosengarten as a potential LT so could be a big miss not taking them instead of Polk at WR.

Heck if they go just WR, taking Polk over Adonai Mitchell seems like a pretty big mistake, same with taking him over Corley as well.

Taking Maye I think was the best move they could have made, but in many ways they could have taken Joe Alt and solved that LT issue period.  But Maye gives them options and Joe Milton gives them developmental guy if Maye does not workout, but Maye to me was easily the 2nd most talented QB in the draft and despite being on a so so UNC team the kid is great in the pocket as a passer.  He is far ahead of McCarthy in terms of actually throwing the football, something he did a ton, and he is a better athlete arguably than McCarthy as well.  I do not think Maye is as bad as you make him out to be and QB is an issue for them so they address it, later in the draft is where the Patriots possibly made a mistake.

Dial could be and ok player though and and Javon Baker who knows but at least they did not reach to get him like Polk.  Then Bell at the end of the draft was outstanding, that dude is a force and could be a RB, TE or HB, I like him a lot and he should have went a lot higher in the draft.  So again the issue with that draft is not Maye to me it was that 2nd round pick and possibly the 3rd round pick.  And if Maye sits a year so what, Brissett is there for a reason and they also have Zappe

Patriots being one of the worst teams, maybe but only because of the possible OL and QB issue.  But if they have a healthy Gonzalez who could be a star and Marcus Jones, that along with Jonathon Jones is a very solid CB group with a good safety group.  Sucks Barmore could be out awhile, if not that defense could be solid no question.

@Ozzyon my phone so I,ll give 2 points.

Maye the third pick Pat even say he's a project most likely going to sit the season to me that's not a third pick that's a reach.

Also the Pats have to many holes they needed picks. Alt was the pick. Why by missing out it will be 3 years before they have a line in place. 2025 still need 2 OT now you have 2 rookies that will need time. God forbid they miss again. I don't see Maye lasting or playing well without a line. He will end up like Mac freaked out.

I like your post however I can't respond to the whole thing cuz it took me half an hour to write this hahaha.

• Like 1

On 8/3/2024 at 8:02 AM, vikesfan89 said:

You all are an optimistic bunch

No realist 50 plus years of watching the Patriots I've seen every scenario also Vegas the money men the experts have the Patriots is the worst team in the NFL and if you gamble you understand that they are very very good at what they do o

• Like 1

5 hours ago, m haynes said:

No realist 50 plus years of watching the Patriots I've seen every scenario also Vegas the money men the experts have the Patriots is the worst team in the NFL and if you gamble you understand that they are very very good at what they do o

Not saying that you're wrong but I'd have a hard time not being excited for a QB drafted that high.  I don't think they maybe would have been better off trading back and still drafting McCarthy 

13 hours ago, vikesfan89 said:

Not saying that you're wrong but I'd have a hard time not being excited for a QB drafted that high.  I don't think they maybe would have been better off trading back and still drafting McCarthy 

Same thing would happen to McCarthy here he needs a team around him. The Patriots team has no players we have fan favorites but there's not one pro bowl play on this team and I don't mean the thing you see on TV I'm talking about top of the line talent. If you remember Tom Brady's last year this team was so bad he would throw the ball out of bounds before he dropped back one step everyone in the news he's done now times that by 10. I don't think it's fair for any quarterback  on this team especially young QB project with the new offense and
 new head coach who have little experience leading a team if any. I mentioned in another post this could be a three to five year wait one screw up and it's 5 to 6 years 2024 they did nothing at offensive tackle it's crazy.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, m haynes said:

Same thing would happen to McCarthy here he needs a team around him. The Patriots team has no players we have fan favorites but there's not one pro bowl play on this team and I don't mean the thing you see on TV I'm talking about top of the line talent. If you remember Tom Brady's last year this team was so bad he would throw the ball out of bounds before he dropped back one step everyone in the news he's done now times that by 10. I don't think it's fair for any quarterback  on this team especially young QB project with the new offense and
 new head coach who have little experience leading a team if any. I mentioned in another post this could be a three to five year wait one screw up and it's 5 to 6 years 2024 they did nothing at offensive tackle it's crazy.

Are you saying the Vikings didn't got the Patriots a franchise LT? If the Patriots had traded with the Vikings, they would have had an extra first this year to get some help

4 hours ago, vikesfan89 said:

Are you saying the Vikings didn't got the Patriots a franchise LT? If the Patriots had traded with the Vikings, they would have had an extra first this year to get some help

Sorry looks like you used your phone like I do you might want to repeat that

On 8/3/2024 at 5:45 AM, m haynes said:

Not even close. He's naturally got one of the stronger arms we've seen coming out of the draft, and that was prior to the mechanical tweaks they've been working on this summer. He's got every bit of Herbert/Burrow/Stroud level arm talent, but isn't in the Mahomes/Allen/Stafford tier. He had the 2nd fastest throw at the combine this year (61 mph behind Milton's 62 mph which is tied with DTR and Josh Allen for fastest recorded).

His bigger issue is touch, tbh. He needs to learn how to layer the ball over defenders to hit guys in stride and it can't always be a fastball.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, vikesfan89 said:

Meant to say gift.  How is Lowe looking?