Watching the other five 2024 1st round rookie QB's....

@Sugashane

I definitely didn't see the all22 so I can't comment on some of those things and it seems plausible that the TV copy gave me a false impression of some things. It does kinda seem like you're making some excuses for bad play though.

First drive was absolutely 3rd and long because of him as you also mostly agreed on.

Then 2nd drive yes it was a good dart...but like TY stated, it was too short for the field position he was in which directly resulted in a punt, granted the two plays before were run plays. That said, I misspoke with the 3rd and longs but rather him leading to 3 and outs would be more accurate.

3rd drive tries to fit it in a tiny window (and fails) to a tightly covered Moore (this more speaks to decision making along with the 2nd drive)...another 3 and out.

4th drive, Odunze gets em good yards off a trick run play. Then good find by Williams and it's a pass interference. Then sacked. Then poor decision for a short pass to the left for loss of yards when his guy on the right was wide open with space...3rd and 21 now. Then takes the checkdown for FG.

5th drive, that's the one where we all agree he looked special.  

Upon watching it again he wasn't bailing on clean pockets except maybe one time, but in fairness to him it looked like his O-line wasn't gonna hold the line. For my "preconceived notions," I didn't have any except I wanted to watch one of his games cause I think he's a great prospect. I'm simply saying I was surprised to see how rookie-ish he looked and how far he still has to go if he wants to reach his potential. I'm not trying to rain on your parade...I mean I don't even know when your last successful QB was so I hope he does at least come close to his potential for you guys.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, vike daddy said:

@madmike77 @Sugashane @dll2000 @SodeeWater_Cheezburger @beardown3231,

what do you think of @Dbrog24's statement above on Caleb Williams' performance?

I think the highlights are awesome; the talent is out of this world. I do think he could be better at some things, duh. The incompletion to Odunze for a touchdown was a great play that didn't count. He can play a bit more in structure, but he's 3 years removed from high school. He isn't used to a huddle and taking snaps under center. From a fundamentals standpoint of a pro style QB, he's a bit behind. Remember Stroud looked pretty bad in preseason last year and had a great season. Speaking ot Stroud, due to his year everyone will always "suck" compared to him since there will never be a rookie year like that again. Back on topic, The Lions looked great in a preseason once and then finished 0-16. Preseason ball can always sway opinions but it's proven to be rather meaningless. The good looks good for Williams so far. The bad is nothing that cannot be fixed. He was drafted less than 4 months ago. He hasn't played a relevant down. There's no need to overreact

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Dbrog24 said:

@Sugashane

I definitely didn't see the all22 so I can't comment on some of those things and it seems plausible that the TV copy gave me a false impression of some things. It does kinda seem like you're making some excuses for bad play though.

First drive was absolutely 3rd and long because of him as you also mostly agreed on.

Then 2nd drive yes it was a good dart...but like TY stated, it was too short for the field position he was in which directly resulted in a punt, granted the two plays before were run plays. That said, I misspoke with the 3rd and longs but rather him leading to 3 and outs would be more accurate.

3rd drive tries to fit it in a tiny window (and fails) to a tightly covered Moore (this more speaks to decision making along with the 2nd drive)...another 3 and out.

4th drive, Odunze gets em good yards off a trick run play. Then good find by Williams and it's a pass interference. Then sacked. Then poor decision for a short pass to the left for loss of yards when his guy on the right was wide open with space...3rd and 21 now. Then takes the checkdown for FG.

Upon watching it again he wasn't bailing on clean pockets except maybe one time, but in fairness to him it looked like his O-line wasn't gonna hold the line. For my "preconceived notions," I didn't have any except I wanted to watch one of his games cause I think he's a great prospect. I'm simply saying I was surprised to see how rookie-ish he looked and how far he still has to go if he wants to reach his potential. I'm not trying to rain on your parade...I mean I don't even know when your last successful QB was so I hope he does at least come close to his potential for you guys.

You left out a false start by Teven Jenkins in this sequence. The pass to Blasingame didn't go for a loss of yards.

Again he's a rookie. Taking a sack, missing an open receiver once, etc is going to happen.

The pass to Moore on 3rd down on the 3rd drive was a great throw. Yes it was tight coverage. The back up DB for Cincinnati made a great play. It happens

• Like 1

On 8/22/2024 at 9:54 AM, vike daddy said:

@madmike77 @Sugashane @dll2000 @SodeeWater_Cheezburger @beardown3231,

what do you think of @Dbrog24's statement above on Caleb Williams' performance?

He had a couple of bad misses on the first series.  Just plain bad throws.  I'm not sure why that happened.  If I'm remembering correctly, on third down on that series, he ended up throwing the ball away.  I don't know if anyone was glaringly open that he could have thrown to on that play, but it didn't seem like a bad decision.  We ended up punting.

On the second series, we had a couple of rushes that didn't go too far, and a pass that didn't have much of a chance to do anything.  Another punt.

After that, I didn't see a whole lot that upset/worried me.  At the end of the second quarter he missed a throw just before making a highlight really caliber play where he was rolling out of the pocket to the left and threw right on the money to Rome Odunze.  That was a great throw.  A couple of plays later, he had a terrific pass to Odunze on what should have been a touchdown, but inexplicably, Odunze was standing just outside of the end zone line instead of inside of it.  (If I'm remembering correctly, the way they had the end zone lines painted, it confused Odunze and that's why he was out of bounds.  It's possible I guess.  Hopefully, he will learn from that one.)

So, other than those two bad misses on the first series, and the miss on a long pass at the end of the 2nd quarter, I was satisfied with Caleb's play, considering how early it is in his career.  There are probably some things here and there that he can improve on, but I would guess he will, as he gets more experience.  Overall, I didn't finish the half with any feelings of great worry or concern. I think he's doing fine so far and should only get better.

• Like 1

On 8/22/2024 at 1:36 PM, Dbrog24 said:

@Sugashane

Neither do most of us!  xD

• Like 1

After the Patriots wrapped up their preseason on Sunday night, head coach Jerod Mayo called Drake Maye the second-best quarterback on the roster, but did not name Jacoby Brissett the team’s starter at the position.

Brissett hurt his right shoulder during the game against the Commanders and an injury would obviously factor into any decision. Mayo said on Sunday that Brissett would have been able to continue playing had it been the regular season, but he said on The Greg Hill Show on Monday that Brissett could report something different about his condition upon returning to the team facility.

Mayo also said that Maye outplayed Brissett in the preseason, which is another factor in the mix in New England.

Mayo: “Jacoby may come in here today and say his shoulder is no good. So I’m not going to get too far down the road on if Jacoby could play or couldn’t play. What I will say is this is a true competition and I would say at this current point, Drake has outplayed Jacoby. Now, in saying that, we have to take in the full body of work going all the way back to the spring and beginning of training camp. And we’ll see where we end up, but those are the conversations that will happen here over the next couple days.”

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/jerod-mayo-drake-maye-outplayed-jacoby-brissett-but-have-to-look-at-everything

The Broncos have announced their captains and for the first time in a long time, the group includes a rookie. Quarterback Bo Nix has been named a captain after Denver selected him at No. 12 overall in the spring and he won the starting quarterback job in camp.

Nix, 24, is the first Broncos rookie to be named a captain since 1967, according to the team’s announcement. That’s when Hall of Fame running back Floyd Little earned the honor.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/bo-nix-is-the-first-broncos-rookie-to-be-named-captain-since-1967

Tom Brady: "I've gone on record, in my opinion, that I think it's best that young quarterbacks, or rookie quarterbacks, watch a veteran do it. There's so much that goes on and quarterbacks need to process so much information so quickly. I think if you can have someone to learn from — and I sat behind Drew Bledsoe my first year — what a great player he was, someone that I got to watch and learn from. Aaron Rodgers watched behind Brett Favre. Patrick Mahomes watched behind Alex Smith. 

"When you have a real pro in front of you, they can help with that learning curve even though that young quarterback isn't necessarily going out there and losing confidence in what his abilities are."

"Ultimately, those young players are going to get opportunities. The franchises need those young quarterbacks to come in and take a big step and lead that franchise on into the future. I just like to give them a little bit of time to acclimate themselves to the pro game, the pro schedule. It's a big difference between college football and professional football."

Of course, Brady went on to become arguably the best player in NFL history. However, as a sixth-round pick, he didn't carry the expectations entering the league that Maye and the record five other quarterbacks in the first round of the 2024 NFL Draft currently hold. Maye, who the Patriots selected with the third overall pick, was also impressive enough in training camp and the preseason for Mayo to say that the rookie had outperformed Brissett despite opting to start the veteran who once backed up Brady.

https://www.foxsports.com/stories/nfl/why-tom-brady-believes-patriots-made-right-call-jacoby-brissett-drake-maye-decision?fbclid=IwY2xjawFFfqJleHRuA2FlbQIxMQABHblxT2W4Rc90juoXMDV-yMUoxvp_oBCkFKp6qCewxqsGh3JCfx0d5AjTng_aem_hOZBZPDv3SZtVFx7sq4F7g

• Like 1

Three rookies are set to start at quarterback this week, but Drake Maye is not one of them.

The Patriots are going with Jacoby Brissett after the veteran outlasted the third overall pick this summer. It wasn’t a surprising outcome given Maye’s limited starting experience in college and the challenges that the overall makeup of the roster in New England will provide any signal caller, but head coach Jerod Mayo added some intrigue to the proceedings when he said Maye had outplayed Brissett in the preseason.

Eliot Wolf: “We do have confidence in Drake. It’s not like we’re just going to let him collect dust for the year. He’s going to be out there in practice taking reps, he’s going to take some reps with the starters, he’s going to take some reps on the scout team and continue to progress and develop in that regard.”

Wolf said the issue of whether Maye’s development continues in game action is one that will be impacted by how Brissett and the Patriots fare on the field. Expectations are low on that front as the Patriots are generally predicted to be one of the league’s worst teams, but it’s unclear how bad things will have to be for the Patriots to make the change.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/eliot-wolf-were-not-going-to-let-drake-maye-collect-dust-for-the-season

1 hour ago, wcblack34 said:

There's going to be a lot of scrutiny on Williams for sure. But I suspect that, by week 10 or so, he'll be showing why the hype was there. Lots of overthrows yesterday, and I think he'l clean that up. Unfortunately. 

only a few of us here watched Elway's rookie season, it was brutal.

Williams has one game on his NFL resume now, and i doubt they played him much in pre season. you're right, all the armchair ADHD afflicted analysts just have to be patient.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

only a few of us here watched Elway's rookie season, it was brutal.

Williams has one game on his NFL resume now, and i doubt they played him much in pre season. you're right, all the armchair ADHD afflicted analysts just have to be patient.

Peyton Manning was also awful his first season.