Training Camp Thread

2 hours ago, BroncoBruin said:

I think they will probably do a lot of practice squad manipulation stuff with the WRs so they can essentially redshirt Franklin. 

That becomes tricky if Vele produces statistically I would say. You've got a decent chance of sneaking someone through waivers if their main production is Kickoff / Punt coverage, but very little if they put numbers out there as well.

The interesting bit of guessing who will make the 53 from the WR group has to factor in the Special Teams contribution from other positions too. If we are lacking STs contributions from our backup DBs, then we may be able to carry more WRs. 

There's always at least one (sometimes upwards of three) surprise players who make the team and it's always Special Teams contributions. 

For example, the first kickoff of the game, our coverage unit was (left to right of the ball):

Smith, Elliss, Nchami, McCalister, Estime, Skinner, Griffith, Key, McLaughlin (who got blocked into the parking lot ...), Mathis

So in that list alone you've got two names that I bet not a single person in the forum has to make the 53 - Nchami and McCalister. They could definitely make the team if they prove how good they are on Special Teams, which could impact our decisions for the WR room.

I can't be arsed going through all of the ST snaps, but here's our other lineups for the first time we ran them:

Punt return: Smith (PR), Elliss, Nchami, Skinner, Griffith, Key, Adkins, Burton, Mathis, Moss, McMillian
Punt coverage: Dixon (P), Elliss, Fraboni (LS), Skinner, Griffith, Adkins, Burton, Mathis, McMillian, Barton, Locke
Kick return: Smith (KR), McLaughlin (KR), Mathis, Adkins, Key, Krull, Burton, Barton, Skinner, Griffith, Estime

You'll note, not a single WR in on Special Teams there. 

• Like 3

15 hours ago, BroncoBruin said:

I think they will probably do a lot of practice squad manipulation stuff with the WRs so they can essentially redshirt Franklin. 

The obvious play is the phantom injury.  Still have to put him on 53-man squad then IR him - but more likely a vet like Humphery (who Payton is loyal to a fault from NO days) or Brandon Johnson, can sneak through waivers pretty easily.   Then can be reclaimed if they clear waivers when you put Franklin on IR.   Basically whichever guy is the last guy making the roster gets cut with an aim to reclaim given depth guys pass through waivers esp if they aren’t viewed as high ceiling or cost controlled for multiple years.   

In that scenario Patrick could easily be the cut - because it’s hard to see any team taking on any kind of salary for a depth player.    Knowing that it’s a decent chance he’d pass through and can be reinserted once space is created with IR moves.    So yeah I don’t see a Franklin cut at all.   But a redshirt year is def in the range of possible outcomes for sure.   

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

That becomes tricky if Vele produces statistically I would say. You've got a decent chance of sneaking someone through waivers if their main production is Kickoff / Punt coverage, but very little if they put numbers out there as well.

The interesting bit of guessing who will make the 53 from the WR group has to factor in the Special Teams contribution from other positions too. If we are lacking STs contributions from our backup DBs, then we may be able to carry more WRs. 

There's always at least one (sometimes upwards of three) surprise players who make the team and it's always Special Teams contributions. 

For example, the first kickoff of the game, our coverage unit was (left to right of the ball):

Smith, Elliss, Nchami, McCalister, Estime, Skinner, Griffith, Key, McLaughlin (who got blocked into the parking lot ...), Mathis

So in that list alone you've got two names that I bet not a single person in the forum has to make the 53 - Nchami and McCalister. They could definitely make the team if they prove how good they are on Special Teams, which could impact our decisions for the WR room.

I can't be arsed going through all of the ST snaps, but here's our other lineups for the first time we ran them:

Punt return: Smith (PR), Elliss, Nchami, Skinner, Griffith, Key, Adkins, Burton, Mathis, Moss, McMillian
Punt coverage: Dixon (P), Elliss, Fraboni (LS), Skinner, Griffith, Adkins, Burton, Mathis, McMillian, Barton, Locke
Kick return: Smith (KR), McLaughlin (KR), Mathis, Adkins, Key, Krull, Burton, Barton, Skinner, Griffith, Estime

You'll note, not a single WR in on Special Teams there. 

Serious good work on ST's bud, thanks!

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

The obvious play is the phantom injury.  Still have to put him on 53-man squad then IR him - but more likely a vet like Humphery (who Payton is loyal to a fair from NO days) or Brandon Johnson, can sneak through waivers pretty easily.   Then can be reclaimed if they clear waivers when you put Franklin on IR.  

In that scenario Patrick could easily be the cut - because it’s hard to see any team taking on any kind of salary for a depth player.    Knowing that it’s a decent chance he’d pass through and can be reinserted once space is created with IR moves.    So yeah I don’t see a Franklin cut at all.   But a redshirt year is def in the range of possible outcomes for sure.   

I was thinking of the former move as well, Sean's history is one where he's not afraid to skirt the rules a bit so it wouldn't surprise me to see Franklin IR'd, particularly if he doesn't seem to have some breakthrough moments in the next couple weeks. 

Klis, unsurprisingly, continuing to beat the Stidham drum. Whether it's just his vanilla veteran bias or he's trying to hype the "QB competition" storyline for ratings/clicks is anyone's guess. But it seems quite clear that Nix has clearly taken over the top spot. 

https://x.com/mikeklis9news/status/1824160711175557480

Edited by AnAngryAmerican

On 8/14/2024 at 3:48 PM, BullsandBroncos said:

I don't think they cut him. I think Patrick gets cut unless he has a victor cruz esque preseason 

I'd look for Sutton to be traded long before they think about cutting Patrick.  He's the best of our big men but has lot's more behind him. He's also the only one with any trade value. Still producing at a very high level and locked in for 2 years at a very decent price.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

I was thinking of the former move as well, Sean's history is one where he's not afraid to skirt the rules a bit so it wouldn't surprise me to see Franklin IR'd, particularly if he doesn't seem to have some breakthrough moments in the next couple weeks. 

Klis, unsurprisingly, continuing to beat the Stidham drum. Whether it's just his vanilla veteran bias or he's trying to hype the "QB competition" storyline for ratings/clicks is anyone's guess. But it seems quite clear that Nix has clearly taken over the top spot. 

https://x.com/mikeklis9news/status/1824160711175557480

I don't think anybody's hyping the competition. There really isn't one is there? Everybody knows it's Nix, it's just whether they throw him to the wolves right away or give him the full Mahomes treatment. My guess would be about halfway through the season.

15 hours ago, AKRNA said:

I don't think anybody's hyping the competition. There really isn't one is there? Everybody knows it's Nix, it's just whether they throw him to the wolves right away or give him the full Mahomes treatment. My guess would be about halfway through the season.

My guess would be week 1. 

• Like 1

What is the likelihood of Wilson winning the back-up job ahead of Stidham ?

By all accounts he is showing that he is getting a grasp of Payton's offence and has upped his game.

If he does - could we get something from the Vikes for Stidham ?

Cutting Stidham nets $5m in cap savings.

7 hours ago, jolly red giant said:

By all accounts he is showing that he is getting a grasp of Payton's offence and has upped his game.

Imo no way we trade Stids. Sean loves him too much and was the first qb he brought in. I think we end up keeping all 3 this yr tbh. It wouldn't be that unprecedented especially with how they are cost controlled

• Like 2

8 hours ago, jolly red giant said:

While I don’t think it’s likely we move Stidham, either trade or cut, I wouldn’t be shocked if we did. I also don’t think Minnesota would be a landing place, however, as KOC will likely want a backup QB with experience in the neo WCO. 

I think we do keep all three but I also think if we only keep two, it I think it’s more likely we keep Wilson over Stidham. 

• Like 1

I thought this was a great quote when Nix was asked about starting.

""You just got to control the things that you can control," Nix said. "… There's a lot of other things on my plate that I got to worry about than that — whether to check a play or kill a play, what shade to run to, what coverage it is, or what blitz they're bringing or what protection I'm supposed to be in. So I've got to figure out all that before I worry about anything else. So far, I've been able to handle that, control it and things on the field. Whatever happens, happens."

• Like 5