Training Camp Thread

2 hours ago, grizmo78 said:

Unless Javonte has somehow regained all of his explosion, he's unfortunately not the same player we loved. His biggest attributes were his contact balance and ability to break tackles but his limiting factor was always his average athleticism. After that devastating knee injuries, he's unfortunately a below average athlete now and so those strengths he once had don't play up the way they used to. We've debated about "threshold talent" for the QB position but I think that controversial term is applicable here too. Javonte just doesn't have that threshold athleticism anymore to be a net positive at the RB position. Like @Broncofan said, he's also not a ST contributor and he's not a great 3rd down back so you're left with someone who can only contribute to the team on 1st and 2nd downs. As sad as I am to say it, I'll be surprised if he's on the team this year especially if Audric Estime has a healthy preseason. 

Trying to evaluate Javonte before they start contact is like trying to evaluate O and D linemen. You really can't do it.

Just my 2 cents.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, grizmo78 said:

Unless Javonte has somehow regained all of his explosion, he's unfortunately not the same player we loved. His biggest attributes were his contact balance and ability to break tackles but his limiting factor was always his average athleticism. After that devastating knee injuries, he's unfortunately a below average athlete now and so those strengths he once had don't play up the way they used to. We've debated about "threshold talent" for the QB position but I think that controversial term is applicable here too. Javonte just doesn't have that threshold athleticism anymore to be a net positive at the RB position. Like @Broncofan said, he's also not a ST contributor and he's not a great 3rd down back so you're left with someone who can only contribute to the team on 1st and 2nd downs. As sad as I am to say it, I'll be surprised if he's on the team this year especially if Audric Estime has a healthy preseason. 

As much as ACL surgery has excellent outcomes we should be mindful it’s still not a guarantee.   ESP when the injury was more than an isolated ACL repair.  

Michael Gallup never regained his burst and he retired this week.   Again a lot of excellent results but can’t mark it as a given players will come back all the way.  

NGL I hope Javonte finds a way to play on a team this year if we do part ways.   You need 4 service time years to get 10-year medical coverage post-career and pension IIRC.   

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, jolly red giant said:

Apparently Javonte had a really good first practice, dropped weight and had sharpest cuts and best burst since his injury

At his media session, he said he shed 11 lbs and got to their goal weight of 221. 

Hey fellas. Went to training camp today and some interesting news.

Stidham and Wilson were sharing reps for our starters that were playing with Stidham getting more of em from my eye. Wilson had some pretty good anticipatory throws but had 2 or 3 dirt balls too that just reminded me of keenum.

Nix played almost exclusively w our 3rd teamers and Rookies. He had some chemistry w Franklin (who looked pretty good btw but had 1 drop). Bo actually had very spotty accuracy sorry to say. He did have a really nice longer throw to the corner and a great run play. He also was absolutely able to make a bunch of checkdowns to the middle of the field which was refreshing after Russ.

Other than that, our defensive guys were the loudest ones on the field, especially safetys and corners. Looks to be some great chemistry there.

Other thing that jumped out is Estime does indeed look like a big strong back who might be able to break tackles (they weren't in pads today). He got most of the time along w Jaleel who continued to look electric. I really only saw Williams on one play but he did look good so I'm hopeful for his bounceback season.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Dbrog24 said:

Stidham and Wilson were sharing reps for our starters that were playing with Stidham getting more of em from my eye. Wilson had some pretty good anticipatory throws but had 2 or 3 dirt balls too that just reminded me of keenum.

Nix played almost exclusively w our 3rd teamers and Rookies. He had some chemistry w Franklin (who looked pretty good btw but had 1 drop). Bo actually had very spotty accuracy sorry to say. He did have a really nice longer throw to the corner and a great run play. He also was absolutely able to make a bunch of checkdowns to the middle of the field which was refreshing after Russ.

Other than that, our defensive guys were the loudest ones on the field, especially safetys and corners. Looks to be some great chemistry there.

Other thing that jumped out is Estime does indeed look like a big strong back who might be able to break tackles (they weren't in pads today). He got most of the time along w Jaleel who continued to look electric. I really only saw Williams on one play but he did look good so I'm hopeful for his bounceback season.

Thanks for the update!

2 hours ago, Dbrog24 said:

Oh, did you notice which center was with the 1's?

4 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

Oh, did you notice which center was with the 1's?

I can't say I was watching a lot of center but I did see Forsyth and Mustipher at times. Strangely didn't see wattenberg but maybe I just missed him

Oh ya! Also really funny part was Meinerz came out in what was...I'm pretty sure Phillip Lindsay's old jersey hahaha belly was real.

Edit: also to note I guess we are having a punting battle w Dixon and Gill. Tbh I thought Gill was pretty easily the winner today. Both had some absolute bombs but gill had way more and Dixon punted one into the stands on accident which was pretty funny...but also we can't be having that in game....embarrassing

Edited by Dbrog24

First-round draft pick Bo Nix is hoping to win the starting job over his veteran competition, but he was asked Saturday whether he was prepared to “accept” the backup job.

Nix: “Well, I don’t know if I have a choice on that one. If I want to stick around, I better accept it. But I also don’t necessarily want to become complacent and say, ‘You know what, it’s my rookie year; I’m OK with sitting back and learning.’ The y’ll play me when I’m ready, so I’m going to do my best to get ready.’'

“You owe it to respect the other guys in the competition, too. They also want to be the starter, and they also are going to have to accept [Payton’s decision]. Whatever they decide, that’s what we’re going with.’'

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/bo-nix-theyll-play-me-when-im-ready-so-im-going-to-do-my-best-to-get-ready

On 7/26/2024 at 3:07 PM, Dbrog24 said:

I can't say I was watching a lot of center but I did see Forsyth and Mustipher at times. Strangely didn't see wattenberg but maybe I just missed him

I read somewhere that Wattenburg was with the 1's.

Friend of mine went to camp the other day. I haven’t been able to follow much since I was in Florida, we have Disney timeshares so we took a week, but my friend said he came away impressed. He said the energy with the team looks very good. He said Javonte looked good and he was impressed with Dulchich as well. He also said he was surprise that Nix’s arm appears stronger than he thought, he said no one is going to confuse him with Josh Allen but he’s not a noodle arm as some have said. 

Im hoping to get down for an open practice, might have to call in sick to work as I used up my vacation time for this last trip lol. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Friend of mine went to camp the other day. I haven’t been able to follow much since I was in Florida, we have Disney timeshares so we took a week, but my friend said he came away impressed. He said the energy with the team looks very good. He said Javonte looked good and he was impressed with Dulchich as well. He also said he was surprise that Nix’s arm appears stronger than he thought, he said no one is going to confuse him with Josh Allen but he’s not a noodle arm as some have said. 

Im hoping to get down for an open practice, might have to call in sick to work as I used up my vacation time for this last trip lol. 

Agree with all these things from what I saw. I will note on Nix, there were several times where he would have been sacked (no pads so the linebacker would just stand there awkwardly instead of hitting him) and wasn't throwing it. I take that as the game is quite fast for him right now which is to be expected going to the pros

I did have a chuckle when Dulcich was stretching his hammy....better hold up this season! 

Edited by Dbrog24