Greg Zuerlein placed on IR

RamRod

13 hours ago, TheKillerNacho said:

I wouldn't call it "enormous". Few games are decided by three points.

It's a big deal. He was having the best year of any NFL kicker, and we kick a lot of FGs.

3 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Arent most 63 yard attempts short?

Also i assume you aren't trying out Jason Myers lol

Zuerlein has range from 68-70. We've seen him attempt a 66-yarder and hit the net. That's why we were all shocked.

6 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

I mean, there's also a possibility he doesn't miss a single field goal. In general, I think the kicker position has one of the least drop offs of any position in the league, except for some exceptionally awful ones that opened  as starters in recent years. However, i think that speaks more towards confidence and streakiness being factors for kickers. It's a loss for sure, I was merely objecting to it being an enormous one. There are a about a dozen of Rams players whose absence I would consider worse.

Sure, that's a possibility.  There would almost certainly be a drop off from a kicker like GZ though, to a kicker that hasn't been signed yet.  And there's a reasonable chance to expect one of your postseason games to be decided by three points or less.  In that situation, having a money kicker is valuable IMO.

To the people saying this isn't that big of a deal... what?  This is a huge deal.  FG kickers are critical, especially in the postseason when TDs can be harder to come by.  Zuerlein is one of the best kickers in all of football and he's one of the reasons why the Rams are the best special teams unit in the league and it's not even close.  I think this is a pretty big blow to the Rams.

3 hours ago, NVRamsFan said:

63 is right in his range and while yes these are long this one bounced so short it might not have been good from 53. It wasn't a very GZ like kick and most Rams fans were wondering how he missed it so badly.

Yea i guess that is strange. Most guys dont miss it weird and leave it short i suppose unless something is up

2 hours ago, jrry32 said:

It's a big deal. He was having the best year of any NFL kicker, and we kick a lot of FGs.

Zuerlein has range from 68-70. We've seen him attempt a 66-yarder and hit the net. That's why we were all shocked.

If that’s true i want to see it happen in a game with guys going for the block too. Sounds like an awesome highlight 

10 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

If that’s true i want to see it happen in a game with guys going for the block too. Sounds like an awesome highlight 

It did happen in a game, but he missed the FG to the left. It was against Miami years ago. The video is probably online.

1 hour ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

1 hour ago, jrry32 said:

It did happen in a game, but he missed the FG to the left. It was against Miami years ago. The video is probably online.

It's the 3rd miss of the game for him. His rookie year after he'd made his first 14 or 15 he missed three this game.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap2000000079679/Greg-Zuerlein-misses-3-FG-s-vs-Dolphins

16 hours ago, showtime said:

To the people saying this isn't that big of a deal... what?  This is a huge deal.  FG kickers are critical, especially in the postseason when TDs can be harder to come by.  Zuerlein is one of the best kickers in all of football and he's one of the reasons why the Rams are the best special teams unit in the league and it's not even close.  I think this is a pretty big blow to the Rams.

Easier for people to downplay the injury until a gm is lost to his replacement. Just ask Charger Fans how important a Kicker is??  If said replacement steps in and steps up like the Eagles Jake Elliot did for Sturgis, no one least of all Rams fans will care! If his replacement ends up pulling a Walsh, Cundiff, Anderson or Norwood only then will the loss of GZ be acknowledged properly/felt!!

Huge loss!!

We really tried out everyone:

There was a 2016 second-round pick in Roberto Aguayo, a nine-year veteran in Dan Carpenter, a couple of recent Los Angeles Chargers in Travis Coons and Younghoe Koo, and others with NFL experience like Andrew Franks, Garrett Hartley and Jason Myers. Ultimately, the first-place Rams went with Sam Ficken, a former Penn State kicker who went undrafted in 2015, has never kicked in a regular-season game and was working as a broker-dealer in Greenwich, Connecticut.

Archived