Brandon Aiyuk……do you want him?

4 hours ago, Slappy Mc said:

Pass.

Agree.  The contract required would make him a cornerstone of our franchise and he has already shown to inspire immaturity in our young qb without even being here.  This isn't the guy I want to pay 30M/year.  There are new WRs out there every year.  I would rather spend the 30M on protecting our qb or keeping our own players.  

The timing just isn't right.  Picking up a high priced wide receiver is a great idea when a team is on the verge.  We aren't there.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, offbyone said:

Agree.  The contract required would make him a cornerstone of our franchise and he has already shown to inspire immaturity in our young qb without even being here.  This isn't the guy I want to pay 30M/year.  There are new WRs out there every year.  I would rather spend the 30M on protecting our qb or keeping our own players.  

The timing just isn't right.  Picking up a high priced wide receiver is a great idea when a team is on the verge.  We aren't there.

The only thing to say against this is if you make the selection of QB you married yourself for better or worse. Chicago went all in on weapons knowing they were going all in on Caleb. For better or worse he will have pass catchers at every spot to give him the best chance to grow and progress as a passer. Aiyuk can run block instead he’s a plus level blocker for the run and he will make us more dynamic.

Once you made the Jayden pick your window of rookie contract starts now. So it’s really starting now to put the best roster we can around him. Also they have a history on the field and it translated very well. He is a better player than he was coming out as well and he was a really really good prospect. Im curious to see where this goes. Personally it’s a slow time of year so I’m sure it will be heavily reported. 

2 hours ago, ripsean21 said:

The only thing to say against this is if you make the selection of QB you married yourself for better or worse. Chicago went all in on weapons knowing they were going all in on Caleb. For better or worse he will have pass catchers at every spot to give him the best chance to grow and progress as a passer. Aiyuk can run block instead he’s a plus level blocker for the run and he will make us more dynamic.

Once you made the Jayden pick your window of rookie contract starts now. So it’s really starting now to put the best roster we can around him. Also they have a history on the field and it translated very well. He is a better player than he was coming out as well and he was a really really good prospect. Im curious to see where this goes. Personally it’s a slow time of year so I’m sure it will be heavily reported. 

It’s a process.  Do you give up a #1 pick and large contract space to do a sign on trade on Aiyuk now?  Or do you see how younger talent like Dotson, Brown and McCaffrey do, and then use a high first for an OT which we are sure to need, and then possibly go after a WR in free agency?  Stud LT’s are usually found in the draft, not in FA, while you can find top of the market WR in FA.  

So yes, the Jayden rookie window starts now, but you still have an evaluation year.  You do NOT give up a top 10 1st round pick and a top 10 second round pick for the next draft.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

It’s a process.  Do you give up a #1 pick and large contract space to do a sign on trade on Aiyuk now?  Or do you see how younger talent like Dotson, Brown and McCaffrey do, and then use a high first for an OT which we are sure to need, and then possibly go after a WR in free agency?  Stud LT’s are usually found in the draft, not in FA, while you can find top of the market WR in FA.  

So yes, the Jayden rookie window starts now, but you still have an evaluation year.  You do NOT give up a top 10 1st round pick and a top 10 second round pick for the next draft.  

Plus wouldn't Aiyuk and Tee Higgins be FA next offseason? Why give up the 1st (or a 2nd and another pick) when we have the cap space to simply sign them?

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

Plus wouldn't Aiyuk and Tee Higgins be FA next offseason? Why give up the 1st (or a 2nd and another pick) when we have the cap space to simply sign them?

exactly the point I was making in asset allocation.  You don’t waste both on one player when you are not even close to competing and likely a top 10 pick in the first year of a new head coach where we’ve churned a lot of the roster.  

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

And others: Marquise Brown and Cee Dee Lamb.  Not that I want to target them, but point being, there will be a market.  And there is always a market if we  are willing to pay Top Dollar and Draft Picks.

• Like 1

I’m not for or against I trust them to make the best decision for the team. Ultimately the move improves the team immediately. It does cost draft capital and cap hit. That said it’s a more sure thing than most draft picks. Especially with the QB WR history and GM history. That said it’s a huge gamble.
It’s one of those hey this wasn’t the plan A; but you’re guaranteeing a player at a certain level with your selection. So no you don’t get to throw that dart in the draft and you’re paying top dollar right now. But there’s a lot of players taken all over the draft who don’t come close to what he is as a player. Again I’m okay if they do and I understand not making the move. Personally I want Jayden making guys great. That said very few QB’s especially on the rookie window make players better. Typically that’s when you want the top flight guys outside to help them evolve to the point where they can translate that knowledge back when it’s time to groom pass catchers because your the guy.

If I had to choose one way or the other, I would make the trade if he was available and It would depend on the compensation. Big contracts are happening all across the NFL for wide receivers. His contract will be pretty high but you have JD under a rookie contract. I believe you surround your rookie QB with the best available players within reason. I believe the player who would benefit from this trade as much as JD, would be Terry. 
I love building a team through the draft but it’s not an exact science. 

If we target Aiyuk now in a trade, we're probably competing against maybe what... a handful of teams? Those with not just needs, but salary cap space?

Let say it cost 30M a year, hypothetically.

Some of you are suggesting...well, let's target him when he becomes a FA.

Ummm

Well, that's a great idea.

Of course, San Fran could just opt to franchise Tag him. (Assuming he doesn't get traded to another team)

And if we tried trading for him then? Well, if wouldn't cost a 1st Rd pick.

It would probably cost two 1st Rd picks +?

Then, with Cee Dee Lamb a FA & Aiyuk & this guy & that guy & this guy & that guy also FA's?

It would perhaps cost 31M+ or more, to lock him up long term.

If you like Brandon Aiyuk & you think that not only would be a huge addition, but possibly will be cheaper now then other FA's will be next season, including Aiyuk?

Then you better make your move now!

Unless, you think we should draft a WR. Which would certainly be cheaper.

And that's assuming the WR isn't a bust.

And assuming we don't need a LT, or a major piece for the O-line next season.

It really comes down to what the 49ers want, or will accept in a trade for Aiyuk.

If they won't take anything less than a 1st Rd pick for him?

Them I'm a 100% on board with you guys. PASS......

But if they will take a 2nd Rd or perhaps less & perhaps a player, or players for Aiyuk?

And do a deal for 30M or less in his contract extension?

Then you do what you have to do, to make it happen.

If that means trading them a 3rd Rd pick in 25', Emmanuel Forbes, Dyami Brown & a 4th Rd pick in 26'?

Or something like that?

Then you do it. Period!

Why?

Because we don't even know if Forbes & Brown who were drafted by the old regime, even fit our schemes & what we want to do.

The 3rd traded in 25' & 4th in 26'? (For hypothetical Aiyuk trade)

Can be recouped in trading down in the draft. Or trading other players away, we don't need.

So basically...the main question truly is...

Is Aiyuk worth 30M?

That's what we're all really asking.

If you think he is...make the trade!

If you think he is not...don't do it.

It's just simple...

I’m not married to Aiyuk.  We need another receiver if Dotson, McCaffrey and Brown don’t show up.  But if Aiyuk is extended or franchise tagged, we just move onto the next guy in the FA market.  

I’m not giving the dude $30 million, on top of shipping assets to the 49ers.  

9 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

I’m not married to Aiyuk.  We need another receiver if Dotson, McCaffrey and Brown don’t show up.  But if Aiyuk is extended or franchise tagged, we just move onto the next guy in the FA market.  

I’m not giving the dude $30 million, on top of shipping assets to the 49ers.  

$54 million for two receivers - just can't do it ( Aiyuk $30 McLaurin $24 )

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

Tee Higgins will be a free agent next year. Just wait and sign him. Don't trade picks. 

There’s the franchise tag that could be applied before hitting free agency. 

11 minutes ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

There’s the franchise tag that could be applied before hitting free agency. 

I don’t think the Bengals can afford the second year of it.  That’s going to be a large chunk of change.  

2 hours ago, RSkinGM said:

$54 million for two receivers - just can't do it ( Aiyuk $30 McLaurin $24 )

Yes, but that’s only for a year while we are still building.  McLaurin is nearing that point of being on ‘borrowed time’ as far as his NFL career goes.  He turns 29 at the end of September.  He may not have another big payday.