Training Camp 2024

Madmike90

Figured with the rookies reporting tomorrow and vets following three days later we might as well have a thread to keep all the storylines in...

What are you most looking forward to seeing outwith Caleb?

Offense - I want to see how Wright and Amegadjie look in pads. Wright has a year of technical work and already was a physical specimen at RT, so I want to see how he has improved. Amegadjie is another specimen who likely looked great in shorts but I want to see how he handles NFL DL. I think he will find himself starting a number of games at minimum due to Jenkins missing some time, but maybe he supplants Davis if he doesn't do well. If Jones or Wright would go down he would be the best replacement physically, so maybe he finds time there. Like @dll2000 I want to litter the OL with college OTs who have NFL OT physical gifts. So I want KA to find a spot and lock it up by 2025. 

Defense - I'm a huge Dexter Jr fan and drafted him in real time so I want to see him thrive. He turned it up a TON late in the season and played like I was hoping for him to be in years 2-3 (since DTs is a rough transition from college to pros) and Austin Booker. Booker never was a primary player really compared to most draftable EDGE but has solid tools to work with. I could see him showing some flashes and getting absolutely owned frequently (showing why he fell to the 5th), but I want to see how physical he is. He is about the same size as Will Anderson but Anderson plays the run like a 280lb guy, I'm worried Booker finds himself getting walked around like FLoyd did with his hand in the dirt when he was a Bear. Physically he is an Arden Key clone, who I liked as a prospect. I will liken him to Kmet, who was a high-effort player but had to really work to get stronger and better technique - which I really doubted he'd make jumps in. Kmet did both though and had me eat crow, hopefully Booker can do the same as an EDGE. I have little hope for more than a EDGE3/4 guy right now, but damn I think its easy to root for the kid so far - partially due to the lack of talent at EDGE after Sweat and I'm just a sucker for a high-motor player. 

It's all about Caleb. Wright taking another step and Dexter looking like a 7-8 year 3T would be great, but I'd love to never follow QB prospects for the next decade. He has everything you want in a prospect and I hope he's the guy. The charisma is a bonus 

• Like 1

For me it's pretty much how each line comes together.

Is Amegadjie healthy enough to practice?  Is Nate Davis gonna actually earn his paychecks this year of just show up to collect them? Can Teven Jenkins managed to stay healthy all through camp and also show he can pass block as well as he run blocks?  His contract situation is on the line.  And last but not least who wins the starting OC job?

Is Gervon Dexter the kid Flus can turn into his new DeForest Buckner?  How much better can Zach Pickens play if the keep him at the 3 Tech spot instead of asking him to play 1 Tech as well?  Whose gonna win the job as Billings backup?  Will Poles sign and affordable edge rusher at some point in time?  How good can Booker be even as a rookie?

To me there are the units with the most question marks but they are fewer of them than in the recent past.

17 hours ago, Sugashane said:

Offense - I want to see how Wright and Amegadjie look in pads. Wright has a year of technical work and already was a physical specimen at RT, so I want to see how he has improved. Amegadjie is another specimen who likely looked great in shorts but I want to see how he handles NFL DL. I think he will find himself starting a number of games at minimum due to Jenkins missing some time, but maybe he supplants Davis if he doesn't do well. If Jones or Wright would go down he would be the best replacement physically, so maybe he finds time there. Like @dll2000 I want to litter the OL with college OTs who have NFL OT physical gifts. So I want KA to find a spot and lock it up by 2025. 

Defense - I'm a huge Dexter Jr fan and drafted him in real time so I want to see him thrive. He turned it up a TON late in the season and played like I was hoping for him to be in years 2-3 (since DTs is a rough transition from college to pros) and Austin Booker. Booker never was a primary player really compared to most draftable EDGE but has solid tools to work with. I could see him showing some flashes and getting absolutely owned frequently (showing why he fell to the 5th), but I want to see how physical he is. He is about the same size as Will Anderson but Anderson plays the run like a 280lb guy, I'm worried Booker finds himself getting walked around like FLoyd did with his hand in the dirt when he was a Bear. Physically he is an Arden Key clone, who I liked as a prospect. I will liken him to Kmet, who was a high-effort player but had to really work to get stronger and better technique - which I really doubted he'd make jumps in. Kmet did both though and had me eat crow, hopefully Booker can do the same as an EDGE. I have little hope for more than a EDGE3/4 guy right now, but damn I think its easy to root for the kid so far - partially due to the lack of talent at EDGE after Sweat and I'm just a sucker for a high-motor player. 

So many of Poles (as with Pace) draft picks are upside, traits projects.  Minor lottery tickets. 

Amegadjie and Booker this year.

Basically everyone outside of Stevenson and Wright last year.

And everyone past Gordon and Brisker two years ago.  Those four showed enough on tape that you could be pretty confident they could be starting NFL players.  

Granted most all picks past 1st two rounds are gambles of some type as more obvious guys get snatched.  But you can have a philosophy of weighing college productivity over traits or traits over productivity.  And you wouldn't always be wrong either way.   But people always value traits a little higher in my experience.  I don't think that is always right.  On any team you are always flabbergasted that this guy who is smaller and slower than this other guy is just better.   

Some examples of guys without traits that are good or better than you think they would be:  Sanborn, Bagent and Edwards (for Philly).

Guys that have traits, but college tape wasn't that great and you are hoping a light comes on:  Zach Pickens, G. Dexter or Dominque Robinson.

Out of that 2nd group Dexter has shown most so far and has most potential.  But he was a 2nd round pick so he is supposed to.

I think Booker has a good shot to be good.   I think if he came out next year he is likely a 2nd rounder.   I think he is more of a 3-4 edge though and still needs a redshirt year regardless.

Amegadjie coming off a very poor level of competition and an injury - I would be shocked if he contributes much of anything good this year.  Pleasantly so, but still.  He also needs a redshirt year.  

I was listening to a podcast other day and I believe it was Bill Zimmerman or Robert Schmitz saying Poles should have not signed Edwards, but started Sanborn at Mike and put that 17 mil per year into DL. 

I would say he should have put it DL or OL.   But I agree with this as a team building strategy.   

I say that, but I also do think Edwards can still be great even though he has played for a long time already.  He is most athletically gifted LB in league and is still young.   Talk about a traits guy.

19 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

I was listening to a podcast other day and I believe it was Bill Zimmerman or Robert Schmitz saying Poles should have not signed Edwards, but started Sanborn at Mike and put that 17 mil per year into DL. 

I would say he should have put it DL or OL.   But I agree with this as a team building strategy.   

I say that, but I also do think Edwards can still be great even though he has played for a long time already.  He is most athletically gifted LB in league and is still young.   Talk about a traits guy.

are you confusing Edmunds for Edwards?

3 minutes ago, HuskieBear said:

are you confusing Edmunds for Edwards?

Yes.  My brain does not do similar sound names well.

Or names at all.

My sister is Lindsey and my daughter is Lydia.  These are people I obviously know very well.   When they are together I always call them by opposite names for some reason.

2 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Rome is in.

Great news that both Rome & Caleb are over the line just after reporting day…now their signed they can get on with building a strong connection with each other and the rest of the offence…still can’t quite believe our starting 3 WRs for this season 😂

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

Great news that both Rome & Caleb are over the line just after reporting day…now their signed they can get on with building a strong connection with each other and the rest of the offence…still can’t quite believe our starting 3 WRs for this season 😂

I hope Waldron runs a lot of 11 personnel.

Play your best players.  

5 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Yes.  My brain does not do similar sound names well.

Or names at all.

My sister is Lindsey and my daughter is Lydia.  These are people I obviously know very well.   When they are together I always call them by opposite names for some reason.

i love that you know that has a person you *** up names and still gave your daughter a similar name to your sister.

that's dedication to the bit right there

• Like 1

Just now, HuskieBear said:

i love that you know that has a person you *** up names and still gave your daughter a similar name to your sister.

that's dedication to the bit right there

Meh.  They aren't together that much.  If I am being honest my wife probably picked the kids names and I rubber stamped them.  I wouldn't have went along with a name I didn't like though.

But I've always felt a rose is still a rose by any other name.  That's a good line.  Someone should write that down.