ESPN top 10 positional surveys

Forge

Jeremy Fowler spoke with scouts, coaches and execs to rank the top 10 at each position. Everything but CB has been done, so I figured I'd just put it up now. 

Note: I'm assuming that the honorable mentions are in order as the blurb for Lawrence indicates that he was 8th last year and fell 8 spots this year which would put him 16th....his spot on this list with HMs being in order would be exactly 16. So I'm assuming the way the votes shook out would be Purdy 11th, love 12, hurts 13, etc, for example. 

Top 10 QB: 

1. Patrick Mahomes
  2. Joe Burrow
  3. Josh Allen
  4. Lamar Jackson
  5. Matt Stafford
  6. Justin Herbert
  7. CJ Stroud
  8. Aaron Rodgers
  9. Jared Goff
  10. Dak Prescott

HM: Brock Purdy, Jordan Love, Jalen Hurts, Tua, Kirk Cousins, Trevor Lawrence

Top 10 RB: 

1. CMC
  2. Breece Hall
  3. Nick Chubb 
  4. Saquon Barkley
  5. Jonathan Taylor
  6. Bijan
  7. Josh Jacobs
  8. Jahmyr Gibbs
  9. Derrick Henry
  10. Travis Etienne

HM: Aaron Jones, Kenneth Walker, Isiah Pacheco, James Cook, Alvin Kamara, Joe Mixon, Deandre Swift

Top 10 WR: 

1. Justin Jefferson
  2. Tyreek Hill
  3. Ja'marr Chase
  4. CeeDee Lamb
  5. Davante Adams
  6. AJ Brown
  7. Amon-Ra St Brown
  8. Mike Evans
  9. Stefon Diggs
  10. Brandon Aiyuk

HM: Cooper Kupp, Deebo Samuel, Garrett Wilson, Jaylen Waddle, Devonta Smith, Nico Collins, Amari Cooper, DJ Moore

Top 10 TE: 

1. Travis Kelce
  2. George Kittle
  3. Mark Andrews
  4. Sam Laporta
  5. TJ Hockenson
  6. David Njoku
  7. Dallas Goedert
  8. Dalton Kincaid
  9. Evan Engram
  10. Dalton Schultz

HM: Jake Ferguson, Trey McBride, Pat Freiermuth, Cole Kmet, Kyle Pitts

Top 10 OT: 

1. Trent Williams
  2. Penei Sewell
  3. Laremy Tunsil
  4. Tristan Wirfs
  5. Lane Johnson
  6. Christian Darrisaw
  7. Jordan Mailata
  8. Andrew Thomas
  9. Rashawn Slater
  10. Ronnie Stanley

HM: Tyron Smith, Dion Dawkins, Terron Armstead, Kolton Miller, Taylor Decker, Charles Cross

Top 10 IOL: 

1. Zack Martin
  2. Chris Lindstrom
  3. Quenton Nelson
  4. Joe Thuney
  5. Joel Bitonio
  6. Landon Dickerson
  7. Creed Humphrey
  8. Frank Ragnow
  9. Trey Smith
  10. Elgton Jenkins

HM: Wyatt Teller, Tyler Smith, Erik McCoy, Robert Hunt, Mmichael Onwenu, Lloyd Cushenberry, Quinn Meinerz

Top 10 Edge Rushers: 

1. Myles Garrett
  2. TJ Watt
  3. Micah Parsons
  4. Nick Bosa
  5. Maxx Crosby
  6. Aiden Hutchinson
  7. Danielle Hunter
  8. Josh Hines-Allen
  9. Trey Hendrickson
  10. Brian Burns

HM: Khalil Mack, Rashan Gary, Haason Reddick, Jaelan Phillips, Montez Sweat, Will Anderson Jr

Top 10 DT: 

1. Chris JOnes
  2. Quinnen Williams
  3. Dexter Lawrence
  4. Jeffery Simmons
  5. Justin Madabuike
  6. Christian Wilkins
  7. Derrick Brown
  8. Deforest Buckner
  9. Kenny Clark
  10. Javon Hargrave

HM: Vita Vea, Jonathan Allen, Jalen Carter, Daron Payne, Cam Heyward, Crhstian Barmore

Top 10 LB: 

1. Fred Warner
  2. Roquan Smith
  3. Matt Milano
  4. Patrick Queen
  5. Nick Bolton
  6. JOK
  7. Tremaine Edmunds 
  8. Demario Davis
  9. Dre Greenlaw 
  10. Foyesade Oluokun

HM: CJ Moseley, Lavonte David, Quincy Williams, Logan Wilson, Zaire Franklin, TJ Edwards, Bobby Wagner

Top 10 Safeties: 

1. Antoine Winfield Jr
  2. Kyle Hamilton
  3. Jessie Bates
  4. Minkah
  5. Jevon Holland
  6. Budda Baker
  7. Derwin James
  8. Kyle Dugger
  9. Talanoa Hufanga
  10. Xavier McKinney

HM: Justin Simmons, Jalen Pitre, Justin Reid, Marcus Williams, CJ Gardner-Johnson, Brian Branch, Andre Ciscoo

21 minutes ago, Soko said:

These two were egregious, IMO.

I like the Breece Hall ranking. Its ballsy, but I can see how it has legs. I kind of felt like the most egregious RB ranking was Gibbs. I would have had him higher.  I was a little turned off on the Saquon ranking and frankly, I'm not sure I would have had JT21 in the top 5, but I'll admit that 2 years of injury struggles is 100% playing a role in that

I have no idea what to  do with Rodgers. I don't think I would have had him that high, but I'm not put off by any of the the QBs not in the top 10, to be honest. And I could see how they don't want to give up on Rodgers just yet. That said, I didn't think he was great in 2022 and I think he's extremely dependent on the offensive line.  I'd rather have guys like Purdy and Love at this juncture (and some others in the HM section), but there's a lot more that goes into that. 

6 minutes ago, Forge said:

I like the Breece Hall ranking. Its ballsy, but I can see how it has legs. I kind of felt like the most egregious RB ranking was Gibbs. I would have had him higher.  I was a little turned off on the Saquon ranking and frankly, I'm not sure I would have had JT21 in the top 5, but I'll admit that 2 years of injury struggles is 100% playing a role in that

I have no idea what to  do with Rodgers. I don't think I would have had him that high, but I'm not put off by any of the the QBs not in the top 10, to be honest. And I could see how they don't want to give up on Rodgers just yet. That said, I didn't think he was great in 2022 and I think he's extremely dependent on the offensive line.  I'd rather have guys like Purdy and Love at this juncture (and some others in the HM section), but there's a lot more that goes into that. 

I know it’s an aggregate, so everyone has their own set of criteria, making it kind of pointless to question “where were they thinking”, but that’s really where I find myself. 

Rodgers in 2022 probably wasn’t even 8th, but based on his status/ability/the previous two seasons, I could see keeping him in the top 10…for 2023. Now he’s a 40 year old coming off an Achilles tear. If they’re assuming he comes back to play at a higher level than when he was last legitimately seen (2022), then why is Chubb below Hall? We either have to see how these guys look when they come back or we don’t. I mean, Tua and Goff have put up better back to back seasons than Rodgers, they’re younger/in their prime, and they’re not coming off of a major leg injury. Brock, Dak, and Hurts have been MVP candidates since Rodgers last threw it for 300 yards. I just can’t get behind Rodgers being where he is. 

Breece is another one, he was clearly hampered from his ACL injury last year, and while he flashed legit ability in 2022, I kinda wanna see it before having up above guys that have shown more. Like, if we’re going legacy (as they did for Rodgers), then Jacobs, Chubb, Henry, Taylor, and Saquon, should be higher. If we’re going off of what was actually shown most recently on the field, then Gibbs, Bijan, and Etienne should be above Breece. Breece doesn’t really have the years of production, nor the flashiest of recent play, yet he still finds himself in a spot as if he’s had both. 

• Like 1

Pretty solid list overall.

Saquon Barkley should be #2 on that RB list and Gibbs or Bijan Robinson could easily shoot up after this season.  Breece Hall a little early to have him that high but clearly they value duel threat a lot and ability to catch out of the backfield.

Patrick Queen I would not have him that high, real tell will be this year when he does not have Roquan Smith next to him.  Honestly without Roquan Smith and Patrick Queen as that lead ILB, that Ravens defense was not nearly as good, Roquan Smith is elite Queen just racks up tackles, if he is really that good of ILB then the Steelers will have a top 3 D in the league this year, when really they could be in search for another ILB come draft time if Payton Wilson does not turnout to be solid at that position.

Also seems a bit lazy to not divide the lists a bit more, have and C list and a OG list regardless of RG or LG.  Then clearly an OT list regardless of RT or LT.  Then a ILB list and a true OLB list that is not edge rushers would be nice.

Jordan Love could easily be on that top 10 list depending on how the season goes.  And Wirfs I would take over Tunsil honestly even though Wirfs is better at RT than LT.  

CB would be interesting to see

1 hour ago, DawgX said:

Any CB rankings?

A lot of players with only one great year of production... if that's the case, Grant Delpit should at least be an honorable mention at safety.

They came out this morning: 

1. Pat Surtain
  2. Denzel Ward
  3. Sauce Gardner
  4. L'Jarius Sneed
  5. Jalen Ramsey
  6. Trent McDuffie
  7. Jaire Alexander
  8. Jaylon Johnson
  9. Devon Witherspoon
  10. Derek Stingley Jr

HM: Marlon Humphrey, Trevon Diggs, AJ Terrell, Charvarius Ward, Christian gonzalez, Marshon Lattimore

• Like 1

Ronnie Stanley top 10 is wild, he was bad last year and hasn't been healthy in years

Patrick Queen will probably drop dramatically after this year. He isn't a top 5 ILB

I still think Minkah Fitzpatrick is probably the most overrated player in the league

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Forge said:

1. Pat Surtain
  2. Denzel Ward
  3. Sauce Gardner
  4. L'Jarius Sneed
  5. Jalen Ramsey
  6. Trent McDuffie
  7. Jaire Alexander
  8. Jaylon Johnson
  9. Devon Witherspoon
  10. Derek Stingley Jr

HM: Marlon Humphrey, Trevon Diggs, AJ Terrell, Charvarius Ward, Christian gonzalez, Marshon Lattimore

Ward being at #2 is surprising, but he was absolutely elite last season.

5 hours ago, Forge said:

1. Pat Surtain
  2. Denzel Ward
  3. Sauce Gardner
  4. L'Jarius Sneed
  5. Jalen Ramsey
  6. Trent McDuffie
  7. Jaire Alexander
  8. Jaylon Johnson
  9. Devon Witherspoon
  10. Derek Stingley Jr

I would say Sneed is far more proven than Gardner.  Sure Gardner maybe long term will be better but Sneed is far more provide and was way more elite last season I would say.  Also McDuffie over Ramsey seems odd to me, especially with how often Ramsey gets hurt.  

Curious Gonzalez is on there with only playing 4 games in his NFL career, but I agree he is an elite level CB and should be an amazing pro if he can stay healthy.  

Man, I can’t get behind Patrick Surtain at one, either. I think he’s a better player than Derwin James, but he’s getting that pre-draft hype. Same deal Patrick Peterson had.

Gave 58% of catches off 91 targets, an 88.2 passer rating allowed, and 3 TDs. It’s not a bad season by any stretch, but that’s not shutdown, #1 in the league numbers either. Sauce has had a better year, each of the last two years.

8 hours ago, Forge said:

1. Pat Surtain
  2. Denzel Ward
  3. Sauce Gardner
  4. L'Jarius Sneed
  5. Jalen Ramsey
  6. Trent McDuffie
  7. Jaire Alexander
  8. Jaylon Johnson
  9. Devon Witherspoon
  10. Derek Stingley Jr

Humphrey is there on reputation alone, Brandon Stephens far surpassed him on the Ravens this year as CB1.

On 7/17/2024 at 5:31 PM, Forge said:

Top 10 LB: 

1. Fred Warner
  2. Roquan Smith
  3. Matt Milano
  4. Patrick Queen
  5. Nick Bolton
  6. JOK
  7. Tremaine Edmunds 
  8. Demario Davis
  9. Dre Greenlaw 
  10. Foyesade Oluokun

HM: CJ Moseley, Lavonte David, Quincy Williams, Logan Wilson, Zaire Franklin, TJ Edwards, Bobby Wagner

This is the most glaringly incorrect positional group ranking of the lot. CJ Moseley not in the top-10, Bobby O not even an HM, Demario Davis all the way down at 8... just poor rankings, imo.