When Will JJ McCarthy Start? POLL

POLL - When Will JJ McCarthy Start?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. When Will JJ McCarthy Start?

• Week 1 (at NYG)
    • Between Week 2 and 6 (SF, HOU, at GB, NYJ in London, BYE)
    • Between Week 7 and 10 (DET, at LAR, IND, at JAX)
    • Between Week 11 and 13 (at TENN, at CHI, AZ)
    • Between Week 14 and 18 (ATL, CHI, at SEA, GB, at DET)
    • 2025 season

I'm probably in the minority here...but I think Darnold will be pretty good for you guys next year and that combined with McCarthy needing time to learn how to be a true pro style QB I see him sitting until 2025 (maybe longer) outwith injury.

• Like 3

I think McCarthy starts the season as QB3, with Nick Mullens being the safety net should Darnold falter or get hurt. 

His position on the depth chart might progress as the season does, but barring injury to the presumed starter, I think JJ sits until 2025 and maybe gets some garbage time his rookie season. 

I know that's not the fun answer, but I think it's the answer that puts McCarthy and the Vikings in the best position to succeed. 

Skol!

• Like 2

I think we're contemplating an option that simply isn't there.

I regard a bridge QB as a cagey old career veteran, a playing coach whose own glories are behind him.

Sam Darnold is neither of those things.

Let's bear in mind that Minnesota's QB has to perform on the level of Kirk Cousins having a good year, as was the case before his 2023 injury.  The Vikes were 8th in pass frequency with an average defense and the fourth lowest RB usage.  Their 2024 offensive schedule has the 3rd strongest tilt to the passing game.

Even someone as unflappable as J.J. McCarthy will begin with a few rocky starts getting his legs underneath him.  Postponing those until after the team has tanked two or three games [and undermined confidence in McCarthy] by starting Sam Darnold will only make matters worse.

Spending a top 10 pick on someone who can't start in front of Sam Darnold?

No. 

Just no.

Edited by Dr A W Niloc
Brain fart.
  • Like 1

McCarthy has been studying like crazy.  I hope he gets a decent amount of practice time with the 1st stringers.  Progress is going decently with his working on throwing with the proper stance.  I'm guessing he'll be ready by Game 7, just after The Bye, with a home game against Detroit, and then a relatively easier schedule for several games.  KOC will have 2 weekls then to prepare him.  I think he's too dedicated and too much of a hard working, determined learner to have his confidence shaken by several tough games, early.  I'd rather have him get a decent amount of real game experience this season, so he'll be able to start next season at a higher level.  If he starts as late as the beginning of 2025, then The Vikings 2025 record, in what should be a playoff and contending season will be lessoned, to a certain extent, for McCarthy to get his feet wet in the first several games.  That might jeopardise good playoff seeding, which might make the difference between just making The Playoffs, and maybe winning one game, and making a deep playoff run, as one of the few NFC main contenders.  With a good OL, and such good receivers, and a decent running game, J.J. should be able to move the offence, score a goodly amount of points.  So why put that off until next season.  I don't see this guy letting some tough games "ruin" his career.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SteelKing728 said:

McCarthy should start one of the Preseason games, right? I would guess the 3rd game.

Possibly, but certainly not guaranteed.  They could potentially get what they want out of him in the first 2 games and then just have Mullens and Hall in the 3rd game, not wanting to risk injury to their first round pick by a bunch of scrubs.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, swede700 said:

Possibly, but certainly not guaranteed.  They could potentially get what they want out of him in the first 2 games and then just have Mullens and Hall in the 3rd game, not wanting to risk injury to their first round pick by a bunch of scrubs.

Unless McCarthy is going to be the starting QB week 1 he will play a lot during preseason.

Kevin O’Connell: "I have no preconceived, preset depth chart in my mind beyond, I believe I said at the end of spring, Sam was the number one quarterback. Sam had a great spring. J.J. came in here after being drafted and had a really productive spring as well. So, my message to those guys is I want a really competitive situation. Sam will be taking the majority of his reps with that first group, but I think you’ll see J.J. maybe get some as well. But also, it’s about the quality as much as the volume of those reps throughout camp."

"Our decision to bring J.J. here was all out of the belief that we feel that we can put together a plan that helps him become the best player and best quarterback that hopefully he can become. I don’t know if it’s the former quarterback in me, but I will not allow any factors outside of what’s best for J.J. and what’s best to help the Minnesota Vikings win."

https://purpleptsd.com/2024/vikings/top_news/kevin-oconnell-updates-qb1/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

• Like 1