2024 Eagles Training Camp

34 minutes ago, 4for4PhillyFan said:

The QB1 and WR1 went off script because they don’t respect the HC, but hey at least the HC is “liked”.  Yippee 

Still grasping but OK. They went off script because they did not like the play call BJ sent in. Once again,  he was the play caller not Sirianni. 

At no point last season did I see Sirianni denote Brian and take over play calling duties, did you?

Therefore any and ALL changes to those calls, whether audibles at the line or in the huddle were because of Johnson, not Sirianni.

25 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

Still grasping but OK. They went off script because they did not like the play call BJ sent in. Once again,  he was the play caller not Sirianni. 

At no point last season did I see Sirianni denote Brian and take over play calling duties, did you?

Therefore any and ALL changes to those calls, whether audibles at the line or in the huddle were because of Johnson, not Sirianni.

"Johnson was the playcaller, but Sirianni would make his presence felt, sometimes overruling Johnson in real time, as he did on a critical third-and-long play against the Washington Commanders in Week 4, when Johnson wanted to pass and Sirianni dialed up a run, which didn't pan out. The line was blurred enough that some offensive players didn't know for sure who was calling the plays, a team source told ESPN in January."

Part of the ESPN article that was released 2 days ago.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

In what world can you read this and not interpret it as a slight against Howie? I mean the entire premise is just completely incorrect as well, but I think I already handled that part.

What exactly would you like Howie to do to have kept Steichen around for example? As if it is even Howie's job to do that...

The Eagles have tried to keep their guys around as much as possible. It makes no sense to do otherwise. Look at what they have done with Stout. He has been given promotions and new titles consistently whenever it looked like he might leave. The problem is that there is nothing you can do to keep a coordinator from becoming a HC if they really desire that job. 

Ben Johnson has declined HC jobs in two straight offseasons. He is an enigma and a very clear aberration compared to the average NFL coordinator. The reality is that there are 32 HC jobs in the entire world and they all pay extremely well. These top OC and DC's are typically very ambitious and want to try to stamp their place in history. The idea that the GM should shoulder any blame for one of them taking a promotion just makes absolutely no sense.

So yes, what you are claiming is completely unheard of.

In this world. In this world it is not a slight against Howie, and saying you find it weird is far from it.
Even if it was, you are the only one here to feel the need to defend him for something as ridiculous as that. As I said earlier Nabbs said pretty much the same thing.

4 hours ago, Broadway Joe said:

In this world. In this world it is not a slight against Howie, and saying you find it weird is far from it.
Even if it was, you are the only one here to feel the need to defend him for something as ridiculous as that. As I said earlier Nabbs said pretty much the same thing.

Yeah you said something ridiculous and have yet to defend it in any reasonable way. You just going straight to ad hominem claiming my reaction is purely based on being defensive shows that. Maybe just respond to my numerous points if I am so defensive instead? Should be easy to pick them apart right?

I'll concede if you can properly explain this: How is it Howie's job specifically to keep our coordinators from being hired as HC's, and if it is his job how do you know that he hasn't tried to keep them before they have been hired.

Edited by AZ_Eaglesfan

9 hours ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

Yeah you said something ridiculous and have yet to defend it in any reasonable way. You just going straight to ad hominem claiming my reaction is purely based on being defensive shows that. Maybe just respond to my numerous points if I am so defensive instead? Should be easy to pick them apart right?

I'll concede if you can properly explain this: How is it Howie's job specifically to keep our coordinators from being hired as HC's, and if it is his job how do you know that he hasn't tried to keep them before they have been hired.

Because I don’t really think it’s his obligation just that it would be nice to do so, your points about whether he can do it or not are very valid. I said myself there’s not much to be done, and just if it meant having an OC for one more year if he were to leave the next offseason. 

I have no problem with your points on whether it can happen or not, I’m only arguing that in a board full of Howie lovers you were the only one who took it as a slight to him and jump at the chance to defend him. If I was criticizing him I would admit it, I’ve done it countless of times and will continue to do so when there’s something that is on him. So when I say it was not a slight on him and no need do be defensive you can believe it.

17 hours ago, UndyTaker said:

"Johnson was the playcaller, but Sirianni would make his presence felt, sometimes overruling Johnson in real time, as he did on a critical third-and-long play against the Washington Commanders in Week 4, when Johnson wanted to pass and Sirianni dialed up a run, which didn't pan out. The line was blurred enough that some offensive players didn't know for sure who was calling the plays, a team source told ESPN in January."

Part of the ESPN article that was released 2 days ago.

I brought this up last season during the collapse and was told it was outlandish to even suggest as a possibility. It's way easier to just fully scapegoat Brian Johnson than it is to believe Sirianni was the issue on offense. It's much easier to replace an OC than it is to replace any HC. There are tons of reports that suggest just that, Sirianni began to overly insert himself in the play calling game plan but that's harder to swallow than "Brian Johnson is incompetent." There's a reason this last year's team looked like the first 6 games of 2021 before Steichen took over.

2 hours ago, Danger said:

Any interest in bringing in JJ Smith Schuster on the cheap to compete for our #3? He looked bad last year in New England, but then... who wouldn't lol.

He's cooked. He just got cut from New England who isn't exactly stacked at the position. From what I hear he hasn't been the same since his knee injury. There will be better WRs cut/waived before the season that the Eagles should have a shot at. They could definitely stand to add someone steady at that WR3 spot. It would be great if Johnny Wilson can be that guy. I'd like to see him play with the ones if this preseason. See what he can do playing with Hurts and all the other weapons on the field. WR, DT and TE are the spots that I feel the depth is most likely to be addressed at before week 1. 

3 hours ago, Danger said:

Any interest in bringing in JJ Smith Schuster on the cheap to compete for our #3? He looked bad last year in New England, but then... who wouldn't lol.

Not really, I like that he’s free and that’s about it

I'm sure someone will step into the 3rd WR role. Let's be real though that player will be what our 5th - 6th option on most plays?

Rather give Covey, Campbell, Ross, Wilson, Smith anyone really that opportunity rather then someone like Schuster.

Edited by Nabbs4u

4 hours ago, Folesadelphia said:

He's cooked. He just got cut from New England who isn't exactly stacked at the position. From what I hear he hasn't been the same since his knee injury. There will be better WRs cut/waived before the season that the Eagles should have a shot at. They could definitely stand to add someone steady at that WR3 spot. It would be great if Johnny Wilson can be that guy. I'd like to see him play with the ones if this preseason. See what he can do playing with Hurts and all the other weapons on the field. WR, DT and TE are the spots that I feel the depth is most likely to be addressed at before week 1. 

I read in here that his injury was on a trip to Japan? How the hell does that happen?

12 hours ago, Broadway Joe said:

I read in here that his injury was on a trip to Japan? How the hell does that happen?

I believe during a flight to Japan his knee swelled up. This was right after a surgery to clean some scar tissue or something going on with his knee. I am not exactly sure on that story either. I do know he looks like he's stuck in the mud when he tries to run. It's unfortunate because he was a solid player and is still fairly young but I don't think he has anything left.

• Like 1