Tua Secures the Bag - 4 year extension

Trentwannabe

1 hour ago, Soko said:

If I’m nervous about a guy in the postseason and I’m praying he doesn’t choke/elevates his game to a new level - that’s not someone I feel great about paying. 

So every QB outside of Mahomes?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, WeBlitz said:

So every QB outside of Mahomes?

Everyone outside of Mahomes, Allen, Burrow, Stafford. 

Virtually everyone else, you’re hoping they become someone they have yet to be come postseason time. Only pull that trigger if you’re confident they’ll do it, but still would worry me.

Not confident in Tua.

1 hour ago, Nex_Gen said:

Pretty much where I stand. At some point one of these teams who possess any semblance of an average QB needs to put their foot down and stop overpricing the market. Do they honestly think it's a flex?

If a team wins the Super Bowl then the other's will copy and prices go down. Raiders are going that way. Well at least having average QB's. lol Dohhh...

1 hour ago, Nex_Gen said:

Pretty much where I stand. At some point one of these teams who possess any semblance of an average QB needs to put their foot down and stop overpricing the market. Do they honestly think it's a flex?

I think it's more that they're scared of the unknown, which is understandable considering what they've had at QB between Marino and Tua.

Whats the deal with some much hate for Tua? He's exactly the QB I'd want if I didn't have basically Mahomes/Allen/Jackson. Like I wouldn't replace Hurts with Tua if I was the Eagles, but if I had Tua I wouldn't want to replace him with Hurts either. There's nothing wrong with Tua. He has some limitations, but plenty of great QBs have had limitations. It'd be nice to see success in the cold before paying, but Carr never had success in the cold and has earned multiple 100mil deals. Tua is an MVP candidate in his situation. You pay people that are MVP candidates in their situation. He's somewhere between the 4th and 16th best QB in the league and his deal reflects that. CJ Stroud going to be a billionaire if he keeps it up though lmao.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Trojan said:

Whats the deal with some much hate for Tua? He's exactly the QB I'd want if I didn't have basically Mahomes/Allen/Jackson. Like I wouldn't replace Hurts with Tua if I was the Eagles, but if I had Tua I wouldn't want to replace him with Hurts either. There's nothing wrong with Tua. He has some limitations, but plenty of great QBs have had limitations. It'd be nice to see success in the cold before paying, but Carr never had success in the cold and has earned multiple 100mil deals. Tua is an MVP candidate in his situation. You pay people that are MVP candidates in their situation. He's somewhere between the 4th and 16th best QB in the league and his deal reflects that. CJ Stroud going to be a billionaire if he keeps it up though lmao.

The injuries are very serious concerns, and you acknowledged the weather issues, but I agree with the spirit of your take. 

Feels easier to find great skill players on a cheap deal than to find great QBs on a cheap deal, but maybe I'm wrong.

41 minutes ago, Chiefer said:

Good for him and the Dolphins. They’ve been without a QB since Marino, Tua isn’t the best, but you can do a lot worse 

"mscitehtla ykaenS" erom htiw tsuj auT sa gniht emas eht tsuj si llihennaT nayR

1 minute ago, Xmad said:

"mscitehtla ykaenS" erom htiw tsuj auT sa gniht emas eht tsuj si llihennaT nayR

you’re not wrong, but it’s not right either. Good thing Tua is a lefty 

1 minute ago, Chiefer said:

you’re not wrong, but it’s not right either. Good thing Tua is a lefty 

.llew sa sehcaoc fo tes retteb hcum a dna mih dnuora tnelat erom yaw sah auT .teslliks retteb a evah llihennaT htiw detnelat erom s'auT kniht riaf eb ot hE

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Trojan said:

1-7 vs playoff teams last year, including small performances with the 1 seed on the line, the 2 seed on the line, the AFCE on the line, and then your playoff hopes on the line. Highest total point output was 22, most were 14 or lower. No, those weren’t all cold weather games. That’s with maybe the best WR duo in the league, maybe the scariest run game, and one of the best OLs last year. 

Why should anyone feel optimistic about paying that guy top 4 QB money?

2 hours ago, Soko said:

1-7 vs playoff teams last year, including small performances with the 1 seed on the line, the 2 seed on the line, the AFCE on the line, and then your playoff hopes on the line. Highest total point output was 22, most were 14 or lower. No, those weren’t all cold weather games. That’s with maybe the best WR duo in the league, maybe the scariest run game, and one of the best OLs last year. 

Why should anyone feel optimistic about paying that guy top 4 QB money?

I don't get your criticism. The Dolphins lost to playoff teams and no other games? Tua was eliminated in the playoffs on a super cold game to the Chiefs who eliminated everyone they played in the playoffs given they won the superbowl. Mahomes lost to the Lions, Broncos, Eagles, Packers, Bills and Raiders. Like who cares? Is the winning % good? 6-3 his rookie year, then 7-5, then 8-5, now 11-6.

Why should anyone feel optimistic about paying an MVP candidate 26 year old quarterback that lead the league in passing, made the playoffs in back to back years ('16 and '08 the only other times Dolphins made playoffs last 20 years), handled the organization fumbling how to handle him perfectly never embarrassing the org (Flores tries to get Watson, owner tries to get Brady, yada yada, played after obvious concussion and reinjured -- all that Tua was doing and saying the right things constantly)? Why would such a player get top 4 money... it's not like guys like Trevor Lawrence, Jared Goff and Justin Herbert are right there too right? What have they done that you think they deserve so much more than Tua?

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Xmad said:

.llew sa sehcaoc fo tes retteb hcum a dna mih dnuora tnelat erom yaw sah auT .teslliks retteb a evah llihennaT htiw detnelat erom s'auT kniht riaf eb ot hE

...IM HAVING A STROKE AGAIN.

@Forge I SMELL TOAST!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Trojan said:

I don't get your criticism. The Dolphins lost to playoff teams and no other games? Tua was eliminated in the playoffs on a super cold game to the Chiefs who eliminated everyone they played in the playoffs given they won the superbowl. Mahomes lost to the Lions, Broncos, Eagles, Packers, Bills and Raiders. Like who cares? Is the winning % good? 6-3 his rookie year, then 7-5, then 8-5, now 11-6.

You don’t understand why it’s a bad thing that the QB shrinks against better teams? Who do you think they’ll be playing in the postseason? 

It wasn’t just the postseason. One seed still in play (IIRC), how was the Baltimore game? Trounced. Two seed (IIRC) and the division on the line, at home vs Buffalo? Shrunk, swept after the beatdown vs Buffalo earlier in the season. At Philly? Couldn’t move the ball. But hey, they really beat the crap out of Denver, Washington, LA, and Carolina.

Mahomes also has a massive track record of great games vs good competition/incredible success in the postseason. Does Tua? Yeah, big deal because he’s not Mahomes, but you’re the one who brought him up.

1 hour ago, Trojan said:

Why should anyone feel optimistic about paying an MVP candidate 26 year old quarterback that lead the league in passing, made the playoffs in back to back years ('16 and '08 the only other times Dolphins made playoffs last 20 years), handled the organization fumbling how to handle him perfectly never embarrassing the org (Flores tries to get Watson, owner tries to get Brady, yada yada, played after obvious concussion and reinjured -- all that Tua was doing and saying the right things constantly)? Why would such a player get top 4 money... it's not like guys like Trevor Lawrence, Jared Goff and Justin Herbert are right there too right? What have they done that you think they deserve so much more than Tua?

MVP candidate is being used pretty loosely here, I guess. Tua got no votes last year (where he headed one of the most talented offenses, in what most consider a down year as far as MVPs go), and one non-first place vote in 2022. 1 of 15 players (and 9 QBs) to receive such an honor, along with fellow “MVP candidates” Justin Fields and Geno Smith. So are you okay with paying QBs to be never really close to winning MVP + being questionable at best vs good teams, or are you happier paying QBs who you’re confident in vs the better competition? Tua lit the 22’ Ravens up almost two years ago. Since then, what’s he done that shows he isn’t a question mark come postseason time/in high stakes games?

As far as Lawrence and Herbert go, you’re asking the wrong person. I’m against paying Trevor that much at this time, and Herbert hasn’t lived up to his deal thus far. I’m not huge on the Goff deal either (although he’s shown more than Tua), so yeah, barking up the wrong tree there.

I’m not saying Tua is a bad player. He’s a good quarterback that, thus far, has not shown up much vs teams he’s going to have to beat in the playoffs. I’m scared to death after committing huge dollars to that QB. Maybe he gets better, maybe he never does. But he looks like QB purgatory - good enough to get you to the postseason but not good enough where he’s going to take the bull by the horns and make some noise in the playoffs. Fine taking your shots with that guy when he’s cheap, but much scarier when he’s making top dollar. You’re hoping he becomes someone that he’s never shown to be. Not a risk I’d take. 

• Like 1