Around the League 2024

dll2000

32 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Calling it now.  No way he goes whole season as starter.  

Due to getting benched for poor play (not even his fault), because they are officially out of the playoffs by week 9, or because that OL gets him put on IR? lol

Maye is probably hoping to sit, he has a rookie Tru/Fields **** situation there. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StLunatic88 said:

Front Office decision right there

THeir OL is pitiful though, so for Drake Maye its probably best case scenario

They’d benefit greatly from being one of the worst if not the worst team in the league in 2024 with their chosen QB of the future already in place. Picking 1-3 next year without a QB need let’s them take the true BPA there or trade for a haul from a desperate team. And they need it - they have the worst roster in the NFL.

I have money on them doing just that, both for them to start 0-5 (@CIN, SEA, @NYJ, @SF, MIA) and for them to finish with the league’s worst record. Short of key injuries elsewhere they almost surely will not be favored to win a single game this year. I don’t think they actually go winless, but I can’t see them winning more than 3-4 games tops this year. 

• Like 4

12 hours ago, CBears019 said:

Allen Robinson got cut from the Giants and is now on Detroits PS.  Bet he wishes he took that $85m a few years ago from the Bears.

Pride goeth before the fall.  It seems we lucked out.

• Like 2

OG market isn't slowing down anytime soon...Poles & co will need to be really smart with Jenkins and not overpay if they want to extend him but at the same time the options in FA & the draft look limited on the interior right now.

11 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

OG market isn't slowing down anytime soon...Poles & co will need to be really smart with Jenkins and not overpay if they want to extend him but at the same time the options in FA & the draft look limited on the interior right now.

That seems crazy to me,  I hope he recalls how many times I drafted him in the second.

It would be interesting to track what positions top 10 salary averages are growing the most.  I feel like QB is still somehow growing, but interior OL, CB, DT salaries have gone up quite a lot? Correct me if I'm wrong but those positions used to be a smaller chunk of the cap.  Makes me wonder if Poles going after the lower value growth positions like LB, RB makes some kind of sense, even though I was critical of some of those moves.  Is there a site or person that tracks guaranteed money as percentage of the cap growth? 

It's reason number ten or so I could really see Poles target IOL and IDL next draft, although edge will still be a screaming need unless Booker is really something.

4 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

They sat on Jaylon and it cost them. I think w Jenkins though they gotta wait and see how much of the season he plays and on what level. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ty21 said:

They sat on Jaylon and it cost them. I think w Jenkins though they gotta wait and see how much of the season he plays and on what level. 

Agreed.  If they had negotiated this summer how would Poles phrase what he believed was a fair offer.  What do you base it on?  Ability or availability.  According to his stats Cosmi started all 17 games in 2023 but he's also listed as RT not an OG.

If a top OG is getting worth $18 mil APY it stands to reason there's an expectation he's available for 17 games.  TJ has only started 22 of 34 games the last two years.  How much of a discount is he willing to accept based on that?

It seems that it's to Jenkins benefit to be patient and make sure he starts ever week this year and plays at a Pro Bowl level.  On that basis Poles may be willing to risk a higher number but right now how does he do that?

6 hours ago, Ty21 said:

I wouldn't agree it cost them with Jaylon to be fair...I think we needed to see that level of play out of him to warrant resigning him...when we did if anything we got value for money when you consider that he is now the 11th highest paid CB in football already while easily being top 5 in terms of play last year...

I do agree on Jenkins thought...I think his injury history and the fact that I am still not sold that this FO or coaching staff like his mental makeup I'm not sure we can rush into resigning him...I also think $17-$18 million for a guard is still too much when I expect both these young tackles to step up and be long term fixtures.

6 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

I do agree on Jenkins thought...I think his injury history and the fact that I am still not sold that this FO or coaching staff like his mental makeup I'm not sure we can rush into resigning him...I also think $17-$18 million for a guard is still too much when I expect both these young tackles to step up and be long term fixtures.

I'd love to get Jenkins for $15M - $1M for every game he realistically plays. Him solidifying the middle of the line helps free up some availability in the draft. This is a class that is deeper on the DL. Grabbing a DE/DT with two picks and an OC would be ideal for me for next year. Allow Bates/Kiran battle out for RG. If Shelton plays decently could see him getting a 2 year bridge deal ala Billings

43 minutes ago, HuskieBear said:

I'd love to get Jenkins for $15M - $1M for every game he realistically plays. Him solidifying the middle of the line helps free up some availability in the draft. This is a class that is deeper on the DL. Grabbing a DE/DT with two picks and an OC would be ideal for me for next year. Allow Bates/Kiran battle out for RG. If Shelton plays decently could see him getting a 2 year bridge deal ala Billings

$15 million per would make him the 13th highest paid OG in football...I would say that would be pretty good value in this current market if he can stay healthy (says this is the healthiest he has even been coming into game one so hopefully that sees him right throughout the year)...

If we do resign him then I would use one of the 2nd round picks on an OG...Tate Ratledge at Georgia would be a great pick in that range and given us a really powerful right side and help create that wall in front of Caleb that we need to get the very best out of him.

8 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

I wouldn't agree it cost them with Jaylon to be fair...

Yea, I think they actually ended up signing him for less than I had been projecting

8 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

The thing that most fans dont take into account is the Players side. Do they even want to be negotiating right now? Do they have their sights already set elsewhere? does Jenkins & his team still think he should be an OT (and then paid accordingly)?

I wouldnt be shocked if his reps are reminding other teams that while he is showing that he is a dominant Guard, that he really should be an OT like he was drafted as, and his versatility should get him paid even more.

One potential solution other teams have used with players who have injury histories is to add a significant per game roster bonus to the base salary.  Poles could also add another roster bonus in say year two or three.  It adds to the total value of the contract but still needs to be earned to collect.  It will be interesting to see how this works out.

16 hours ago, soulman said:

Agreed.  If they had negotiated this summer how would Poles phrase what he believed was a fair offer.  What do you base it on?  Ability or availability.  According to his stats Cosmi started all 17 games in 2023 but he's also listed as RT not an OG.

If a top OG is getting worth $18 mil APY it stands to reason there's an expectation he's available for 17 games.  TJ has only started 22 of 34 games the last two years.  How much of a discount is he willing to accept based on that?

It seems that it's to Jenkins benefit to be patient and make sure he starts ever week this year and plays at a Pro Bowl level.  On that basis Poles may be willing to risk a higher number but right now how does he do that?

I think whether Jenkins gets paid this offseason is tied directly to how Braxton Jones performs as much as how he performs himself. If Jones takes a jump to rock solid LT in 2024 with a more predictable QB behind him then I would think extending him would take priority over retaining Jenkins. I don’t think they’ll pay both, and you can far more easily replace a guard than you can a (then) 26-year old rock solid LT. 

• Like 1