Around the League 2024

dll2000

16 hours ago, Sugashane said:

It's dependent on where he is in the recovery process. I have zero doubts (with obviously very limited watching compared to many others but still) Williams' ceiling is higher than Bates, Davis or Shelton. I'd be much happier having the inside track on a healthy Willims for 2025, even if Bates is good you have C and G set up then.

Still there's a million ways to go about things and I suspect Poles wants to pay OTs and draft IOL for cost concerns. And honestly that's a plan I 100% can get behind.

If you were going to do that then you sign him for 2 years not one.  So you at least get 1 full year of service before you have to pay him big $.  IMO.

He probably wouldn't take that deal.  So it is moot.  

I would 100% draft mostly OTs and move them to Gs if they fail at OT.   That has been my (pretend) GM philosophy for 20 years.  Because college coaches typically put better OL at OT than G.  So the talent pool is deeper.    

Doesn't mean I would never pay the T that moved to G and worked out.  

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

If you were going to do that then you sign him for 2 years not one.  So you at least get 1 full year of service before you have to pay him big $.  IMO.

He probably wouldn't take that deal.  So it is moot.  

I would 100% draft mostly OTs and move them to Gs if they fail at OT.   That has been my (pretend) GM philosophy for 20 years.  Because college coaches typically put better OL at OT than G.  So the talent pool is deeper.    

Doesn't mean I would never pay the T that moved to G and worked out.  

Oh I would much rather do a multi-year deal. My logic is that if he is taking that small of a one year deal then he is betting on himself and expecting to make a significant pay bump. Like you said though, he probably wouldn't take the deal for more than one year, so I was just putting up a higher limit than he got. 

We've been lock in step for a long time about the OTs being kicked inside and paying your own. Seeing what Hunt got could get me gunshy if they want too much though. I believe you win by getting the most value out of your contracts, so hopefully you do well enough that people might price themselves out of your range. But any time you have a difference maker either at a premier position or protecting your QB you want to keep them if possible IMO.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, beardown3231 said:

They were the other finalist 🙄

Very glad then ATL beat us out...interesting that the Pats possibly though our 3rd would be lower than theirs considering the division they play in...

If we really want to spend a 3rd on a pass rusher and given him a contract then call the Jets.

13 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

Very glad then ATL beat us out...interesting that the Pats possibly though our 3rd would be lower than theirs considering the division they play in...

If we really want to spend a 3rd on a pass rusher and given him a contract then call the Jets.

I agree

2 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

I doubt very much that we offered a 3. I think ATL’s 3 was a desperation move after they lost Bralen Trice for the year this past weekend.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

Is it confirmed the Bears offered a 2025 3?  Maybe they stood tall at a 4/2026 3 and ATL one upped them?

4 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

Id call the Bengals first and see about Trey Hendrickson.

14 hours ago, dll2000 said:

It's not happening.  If it did I would be absolutely shocked. 

Honestly I would think only a few teams at most leaguewide would be interested at all.   Let Jets solve their own problems.

They screwed the pooch on that one.

What don't they screw the pooch on?  This is the team who signed an aging Brett Favre and head case like Aaron Rodgers.  What is it about them that makes them operate like a home for wayward boys who just happen to play pro football?  I would think that if you wanted to keep the guy for more than a year you would've have come to an agreement on an extension prior to the trade at least in principal.

We don't need Reddick and to be honest I don't think we need anyone.  Let the young guys play and develop so in another year or two we do have one of the top pass rushes in the NFL.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TankWilliams said:

Is it confirmed the Bears offered a 2025 3?  Maybe they stood tall at a 4/2026 3 and ATL one upped them?

No idea but if we were both finalists I would imagine the value would have been closer than a full round apart.

2 hours ago, DABEARSLCF04 said:

Id call the Bengals first and see about Trey Hendrickson.

Yeah I think he would be a great fit as well but I suspect we would be at least a 2nd maybe more to get him…contract would be massive as well.

7 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

Yeah I think he would be a great fit as well but I suspect we would be at least a 2nd maybe more to get him…contract would be massive as well.

A Hendrickson contract would probably be about what Montez’s contract is annually. I’d be surprised to see CIN move him anyway - they’re in a win now year with Higgins on a franchise contract and Hendrickson and Chase both 2 years out but both well underpaid relative to the market and looking for top of league money. If they were to move someone like Hendrickson it would almost surely be at the deadline if they’re out of the playoff race.