Better QB Right Now: Lamar Jackson or Josh Allen

mdonnelly21

40 members have voted

1. 1. Who is a better QB right now (Aka gives you the best odds to win a SB with a clean roster)

• Josh Allen
    • Lamar Jackson

I seen that Lamar Jackson got a 98 and Josh Allen got a 93 in Madden. 

I find this hard to believe that these two QBs are anywhere near the gap that Madden Suggests. 

Josh Allen played a lot better in last years playoffs. Especially if it weren't for a Stefon Diggs dropped bomb that could have put them into position to defeat the Chiefs. 

So it got me to wondering who you would take for your QB right now. 

My best understanding of what makes a QB better or worse is. If you had a clean roster. And you needed to win the SB, who would you take to give you the best odds to win it. 

I'd probably give it to Allen by a small margin.

But how repeatable is playing well in the playoffs? Is being a clutch performer an immutable characteristic?

Joe Flacco was a playoff god in Baltimore, yet certainly wasn't last playoffs. Eli is a supposed playoff god, but has had some horrific performances in 1-and-done playoff appearances. Mark Sanchez was 4-2 in his first 6 playoff games with 9/3 TD/INT but washed out of the league and never made it back. Nick Foles was had a great run to win the Super Bowl, and sucked the next year.

Yes Lamar has had some rough playoff exits, but it isn't clear to me that he will perform well or poorly the next time he gets in. He is gaining more playoff experience, although again I'm not sure if that is predictive nor not.

Lamar reads defenses better. He bests Allen in most passing categories:
Higher comp%
Higher TD%
Lower INT%
Higher Y/A
Higher rating

Allen has more yards and TDs, though.

As far as rushing, Allen has more TDs and is tough in short yardage. However Lamar is better in most categories:
More rushing yards
More 1st downs
Higher Y/A
Fewer fumbles

The reason I give the slight edge to Allen is
1) more durable, bigger
2) arm strength, better in cold/bad weather
3) better past playoff performance (although that's no guarantee going forward)

However, Lamar's passing and running efficiency are generally better, and I would expect that to continue. They are in the same tier, it's just a question of ordering.

If Josh Allen was on the Baltimore Ravens and Lamar Jackson was on the Bills, the Ravens would have a Super Bowl by now.

Lamar is great but until he wins in big games during the playoffs, there will always be that question.  He made great improvement last year as a passer in that new offense, but laid an egg in the playoffs.  Josh Allen is a far more accomplished passer, but lucky for Lamar he plays with a great organization that consistently drafts big time talent into the NFL to support him.

Also one could argue Josh Allen is just as good of a runner as Lamar Jackson and has less attempts.  If given the same opportunities to run I am sure he would have equal to or great rush numbers.  Josh Allen has ran for 53 TDs in his career, Lamar Jackson only 29 and has a higher per carry average also.  

• Like 3

LOL.. Josh Allen is winning every super bowl if he was throwing to the Ravens receivers instead of Stefon Diggs. What does Josh Allen look like if he played most of his career with Greg Roman?

Allen is actually a valid case over Jackson as the #2 QB. But y'all are missing me to say that Lamar CLEARLY has a better situation around him. On offense I don't think he has. And Lamar led the #2 DVOA offense (not counting a week 18 outing where he and starters rested) in the league last year without Mark Andrews most of the year, a rookie WR as #1, Nelson Agholor as #2, his starting RB lost on the first drive of the season, the breakout offensive RB lost a couple games in, and an mediocre offensive line with 2 part time players at tackle and 2 guards the team didn't even try to retain. 

Playoff success is the difference? Oh right how many more AFC championship games has Josh Allen won than Lamar?

Forget the Madden ratings. Neither of these two are a tier above the other. One would need a SB win to clearly establish himself over the other.

8 hours ago, wackywabbit said:

Playoff success is the difference? Oh right how many more AFC championship games has Josh Allen won than Lamar?

Lamar is Awful in the Playoffs and Allen is amazing in the playoffs. 

Josh Allen. has a passer rating of 100.0 with 2,723 yards, 21 touchdowns and 4 interceptions in 10 games in the playoffs in his career.

Lamar Jackson has a passer rating of 75.7 with 1,324 yards, 6 touchdowns and 6 interceptions in 6 games in the playoffs in his career.

Edited by GHARMON9

36 minutes ago, GHARMON9 said:

Lamar is Awful in the Playoffs and Allen is amazing in the playoffs. 

Josh Allen. has a passer rating of 100.0 with 2,723 yards, 21 touchdowns and 4 interceptions in 10 games in the playoffs in his career.

Lamar Jackson Lamar Jackson has a passer rating of 75.7 with 1,324 yards, 6 touchdowns and 6 interceptions in 6 games in the playoffs in his career.

Sure, that's something. But it's 6 games for Lamar. Only 2 have been in the previous 3 seasons. One of those 2 he had 4 total TDs. How much weight do you put on a handful of games when we have plenty of regular season games of Lamar destroying playoff teams when both teams were going hard for seeding.

Edited by wackywabbit