Vikings QB JJ McCarthy out for season (torn meniscus)

Forge

I'm thinking this could be a good thing for the Vikings.  Sam Darnold could end up being a lot better than people are expecting, and although it's a lousy thing to happen to McCarthy, he's still only 21 years old, so he has plenty of time.  If Darnold can have a big year, maybe the Vikings can get something more for him than just a compensatory pick.  God works in mysterious ways.  In the end, it could work out great for everybody. 

• Like 1

Jim Harbaugh called JJ McCarthy after his season-ending injury.

Harbaugh:  “I know how the story’s gonna end with JJ, I’ve seen this movie before. There’s nothing that can keep him down. It’s not gonna be life-altering. Bump in the road.”

Brad Galli, WXYZ.com

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, SodeeWater_Cheezburger said:

I'm thinking this could be a good thing for the Vikings.  Sam Darnold could end up being a lot better than people are expecting, and although it's a lousy thing to happen to McCarthy, he's still only 21 years old, so he has plenty of time.  If Darnold can have a big year, maybe the Vikings can get something more for him than just a compensatory pick.  God works in mysterious ways.  In the end, it could work out great for everybody. 

this, this, and more this.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, SodeeWater_Cheezburger said:

He is on a 1 year contract. Are you proposing they re-sign him and then trade him next year or they are trading this year at the deadline? I don’t see those two scenarios happening. A big season means a big contract, and Vikings can’t do a sign and trade.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Acgott said:

He is on a 1 year contract. Are you proposing they re-sign him and then trade him next year or they are trading this year at the deadline? I don’t see those two scenarios happening. A big season means a big contract, and Vikings can’t do a sign and trade.

We could be in line for a nice comp pick in 2025 possibly. I'm not holding my breathe on Darnold being that good, or the Vikings having more qualifying FAs leave rather than us signing them. Next season will be a contract year for KOC/KAM. 

38 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

We could be in line for a nice comp pick in 2025 possibly. I'm not holding my breathe on Darnold being that good, or the Vikings having more qualifying FAs leave rather than us signing them. Next season will be a contract year for KOC/KAM. 

A 2026 comp pick is definitely a possibility. The 49ers are likely getting a 5th for Darnold next year. The post I replied to was excluding a possible comp pick.

• Like 1

On 8/18/2024 at 8:58 AM, Acgott said:

If he looks half way decent, maybe extend him in the middle season if that's a possibility.  It looks like McCarthy will be ready to go next season, but what if his injury takes a little longer than that to recover from?  It might not be bad to have Darnold around then.  If JJ is ready, then they can trade Darnold.  I don't know how the league handles all these contracts, but if possible, that's what I'd try to do.

4 minutes ago, SodeeWater_Cheezburger said:

If he looks half way decent, maybe extend him in the middle season if that's a possibility.  It looks like McCarthy will be ready to go next season, but what if his injury takes a little longer than that to recover from?  It might not be bad to have Darnold around then.  If JJ is ready, then they can trade Darnold.  I don't know how the league handles all these contracts, but if possible, that's what I'd try to do.

I agree with this

If Darnold plays the full season and has a 2022 Geno or 2023 Baker adjacent season (~4k yards ~3:1 TD:Turnover ratio) the Vikings should try and ink him to another deal. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SodeeWater_Cheezburger said:

It’s possible. If he’s good enough, we could look at the Gardner Minshew contract for him. 2 years $25 mil at a top backup/starter. This would be stacked on the $5M in dead money for next year that he is already accounted for. I’m not a cap expert, but imagine dead money could get messy if you try and trade him in 2025 with his void years.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
22 hours ago, vike daddy said:

Andy Molitor @AndyMSFW

Two games in and Minnesota Vikings quarterback JJ McCarthy remains tied atop the rookie leaderboard for TD passes.

thanks, @SemperFeist

JD had two passing td called back because of holding calls away from the play

but he has two rushing td and accounts for around 300 yards a game against a tough giants front 4 and the bucs aren’t a bad team 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Vladimir L said:

JD had two passing td called back because of holding calls away from the play

but he has two rushing td and accounts for around 300 yards a game against a tough giants front 4 and the bucs aren’t a bad team 

it was just a joke anyway. that an injured player, McCarthy has as many passing TD's as those rookies who are playing already.

• Like 1