Preseason Game 2 @ Denver Broncos

41 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I think Heath is a pretty good player .. DuBose probably needs more time to hone his craft.

Thats fine and maybe the packers agree. Very well could. I think dubose a bit more useful on specials and ready to play some reserve snaps.

Melton has speed. But hes not much for a blocker or tackler. 3 different skillsets all useful players for something.

Edited by HighCalebR

17 minutes ago, LLcheesehead12 said:

I did notice the Falcons were interested in trading Taylor Heinecke, something I'd look into considering he grew up a Packer fan and probably would love coming to play for us.

Granted Atlanta would probably want a 3rd round pick minimum for him which may be a little too much, but still if I was Gute I would call and look into it.

I'd take Heinecke over our backups for sure.  That kid has some moxie!  I wouldn't give them a 3rd.  Maybe a 5th or 6th.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Old Guy said:

Steve Smith Sr. said the Packers have 8 WRs who can play on Sundays. Assume Toure is 8. Not sure if that is true, but anybody judging out WRs with those to jokers throwing the ball last night should stay away from talent evaluations. 

SSS isn't wrong in my book.

Doubs, Watson, Reed, Wicks, Dubose, Heath, Melton, Toure.

Guess I feel like if Toure is even your 5'th, you are in good shape.  And here he is #8.

Guess I also feel like if we were to release Melton or Heath, they would get picked up.  Feeling like Dubose hasn't "shown it" in a game yet, so he could go to PS.  Toure is probably one that would get pick up as well.

I love me some Dubose, but he's the one that I could see getting to our PS.  Percentage wise, like he's probably 60/40 to our PS.  The others are probably 20/80 to get to our PS.

Regarding the QB's last night....we were really, and I mean REALLY, vanilla.  Like we wanted to see a few concepts in the pass game, so we ran them over and over.  Same for the run game.  Felt to me like we went into this game wanting the 2's to get fired up and take a spot on the roster with energy, enthusiasm and technique.  Maybe some did, but it was very bland to watch.

57 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

I agree with Toure, again I was quoting Steve Smith Jr. He did not name names, but that is who popped in my mind as #8. 

I don't feel good about the bottom of roster because it's fairly clear after last night we don't have 53 that belong. Positions of concern: K, depth on 0-line, back-up quarterback are the most pressing. Somebody mentioned cutting both Clifford and Pratt, I think as a joke. I'd be OK with it and assume we'd get them both back on the practice squad. I'm going to give you Dillard but wouldn't want him in a game. Monk is not ready to play in a real game, but worthy of keeping allowing to develop. Do we roll with 8, O linemen? Nobody else made a case they belong, quite the contrary. 

I think we have NFL level talent everywhere else with guys who will make the roster. 

Like most rosters, I think competition for the last 5 spots or so is pretty fierce, and will remain so during the season.

But we have a lot of good backups, good defined as having NFL game experience or good NFL potential to be developed.

Agree with you on the ol.  Wish we had a vet better than Dillard, though I thought Dillard played better in the game last night.  We should be good with the first OL off the bench, assuming that it is either Rhyan or Morgan.  Second off the bench is either Newman or Dillard.  That one hurts right now.  From the little that I saw, maybe, just maybe this is the year that Caleb Jones earns a roster spot.  He looked really good...against 3's.

Backup center worries me.  But it did last year, too.  

Feeling like our corners are better than I originally thought.  I'm putting Bullard at CB just because Evan Williams has shown he can play safety nicely.  (Even though Bullard may very well be a starting safety next to McKinney.)

Backup QB.  We were kindda poor last year there too.  So what's changed?  Expectations, right?  If this is a "window" year, yeah, I'm looking to get a better backup.  Gotta be cheap, though.  I thought Heinicke was 1.2M or something.  Gotta think that is a fraction of what Tannahill or Flacco would want.  And I like that Taylor has legs to extend plays.

28 minutes ago, LLcheesehead12 said:

I did notice the Falcons were interested in trading Taylor Heinecke, something I'd look into considering he grew up a Packer fan and probably would love coming to play for us.

Granted Atlanta would probably want a 3rd round pick minimum for him which may be a little too much, but still if I was Gute I would call and look into it.

Falcons are in a "win now" mode.  Signing Simmons and getting Judon indicate that.  

I don't see them carrying 3 QB's on the roster, they are in the same roster boat as the rest of us.  They ain't cutting Kirk, they ain't cutting Pennix. So........

If you want Taylor, you either try to send them a good player that you may cut, for a good player that they may cut.  Not sure who that is.  Could be Toure/Melton/Dubose/Heath.  

Guess I don't see them getting anything higher than a 6'th for Heinicke.  I wanted to say 5'th, but I usually overestimate these things in terms of comp value.

I liked the vanilla playcalling. Just eat the clock as fast as possible and get out of there.

If the last 20 years have taught us anything it is that the only months that matter are December, January, and February. 

Get out of preseason healthy is all that matters.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, LLcheesehead12 said:

I would say my feelings on Clifford and Pratt are very mixed right now.

On the one hand, I never like judging a guy, particularly a backup QB just on one bad game.  And the when the team executes poorly all around, typically the QB can't just suddenly make up for that.

On the other hand, I am less confident about Clifford being a capable backup this year than I was last year.  We'll see what he does this next week and go from there I guess, but yeah, gonna guess that we have to redo the backup QB position next year.

I am less impressed with the second and third team OL, tbh.  We haven't been able to produce a running game in either preseason game.  And Clifford and Pratt are having to bail from broken pockets quite often.  I am not suggesting either of them are some kind of hidden gem, but I would like to see maybe a drive or series with real linemen and pass catchers.  I think either could be good enough at this point, if their surrounding cast isn't overmatched.

28 minutes ago, HokieHigh said:

I liked the vanilla playcalling. Just eat the clock as fast as possible and get out of there.

If the last 20 years have taught us anything it is that the only months that matter are December, January, and February. 

The game sucked and the team's performance was pretty uninspiring, but generally I agree with this approach.

For me the only real head-scratcher was the decision to sit Morgan. Several times this offseason MLF has talked about the need to see the young guys in game action. That's why LVN and Brooks played so much against Cleveland and even saw a bunch of snaps against Denver.

With Morgan practicing in full, it doesn't seem like injury held him out so much as they're fully committed to him as starting RG and didn't want to risk it. Which on one hand I understand, but on the other I'm surprised MLF wouldn't want him to get him a few in-game reps.

18 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I am less impressed with the second and third team OL, tbh.  We haven't been able to produce a running game in either preseason game.  And Clifford and Pratt are having to bail from broken pockets quite often.  I am not suggesting either of them are some kind of hidden gem, but I would like to see maybe a drive or series with real linemen and pass catchers.  I think either could be good enough at this point, if their surrounding cast isn't overmatched.

We had like 120 yards rushing game 1.

It was a team **** fest with no cohesion. I wouldnt place blame primarily on any one unit.

Edited by HighCalebR

Packers PFF grades: Best, worst players from preseason loss to Broncos

Top 5 offense

1. OT Luke Tenuta: 69.6
2. WR Malik Heath: 69.3
3. WR Samori Toure: 64.5
4. OT Caleb Jones: 64.2
5. OT Travis Glover: 64.0

Tenuta didn’t allow a pressure over nine pass-blocking snaps at right guard and ended up as the offense’s highest-graded run blocker. Heath caught three of his six targets for 22 yards on 18 routes run. Toure caught two passes on two targets for 17 yards. Jones didn’t allow a pressure over nine pass-blocking snaps at right tackle. Glover allowed two pressures over 26 pass-blocking snaps and 48 total snaps at right tackle.

Top 5 defense

1. S Benny Sapp III: 85.5
2. LB Kristian Welch: 75.1
3. DL Colby Wooden: 72.8
4. DL Jonathan Ford: 72.6
5. DE Arron Mosby: 71.4

Sapp delivered a run stop and a pass breakup over 14 snaps. Welch had three stops vs. the run, allowed only one catch in coverage and caught an interception. Wooden had two hurries as a pass-rusher and two runs stops. Ford didn’t record a hurry or stop but looked explosive over 34 snaps at nose tackle. Mosby had a hurry creating an interception and drew a penalty.

Bottom 5 offense

1. TE Tyler Davis: 33.9
2. QB Sean Clifford: 35.5
3. WR Grant DuBose: 38.4
4. TE Joel Wilson: 48.7
5. QB Michael Pratt: 53.2

Davis had a nightmare night as a run -blocker. We counted five missed or failed blocks on 10 run-blocking snaps. Clifford fumbled a snap, threw an interception and managed only six completions across four drives. DuBose was credited with two drops, although one was a tough throw behind him on fourth down. Wilson caught just one pass for four yards on 19 routes run. Pratt lost a fumble and averaged only 3.3 yards per attempt. His average depth of target was 5.3 yards.

Bottom 5 defense

1. CB LJ Davis: 28.8
2. LB Ralen Goforth: 32.9
3. DL Zach Morton: 47.0
4. CB Kalen King: 47.2
5. LB Christian Young: 51.0

Davis gave up a catch for 22 yards. Goforth missed a tackle on a touchdown run and was penalized 15 yards. Morton had the sack-safety, but he also missed a tackle and earned a poor run defense grade. King missed two tackles, including one resulting in a first down on 3rd-and-17, and allowed three catches on three targets for 40 yards and a touchdown. Young allowed a touchdown pass while trying to undercut a block attempt on the Broncos’ final score.

Special teams

Grant DuBose had a tackle covering a punt. Greg Joseph missed the only kick attempt, a 47-yard field goal. Daniel Whelan averaged 54.8 yards per punt and 43.3 net, with two punts inside the 20-yard line. His hangtime average was 4.99 seconds.

Quarterback play

Michael Pratt: 53.2
Sean Clifford: 35.5

Both Pratt and Clifford had a turnover, and they combined to average 3.7 yards per attempt and 5.9 yards per completion. Neither Pratt nor Clifford completed a pass thrown over 10 yards in the air (0-for-5). Rough night for the backup quarterback competition.

Stat to know

Brenton Cox Jr. led all players with five pressures, including a sack, while rookie linebacker Ty’Ron Hopper had a team-high four defensive stops, including three against the run.

56 minutes ago, HokieHigh said:

If the last 20 years have taught us anything, it is that the only months that matter are December, January, and February. 

If the last 20 years have taught us anything, it is that fans will overreact to whatever happens in the preseason games.  Good or bad.

Fixed.

More seriously, the lackluster joint practice with DEN is more of an issue than the game.  As much as anything, it seems like this team was due for a bit of a reality check.  There is a lot of potential on this roster, but they still need to put it all together.

Tenuta been my dark horse for a minute but he gets no reps at tackle so im thinking hes pretty bad at practice. Did think it was interesting they put him at guard though

^^those are some box score *** grades tho.

Edited by HighCalebR