Raiders name Gardner Minshew as starting QB

RaidersAreOne

33 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

this was expected, was it not?

A lot of our beats said it was AOC's job to lose and thought he would be named QB1.  I think he looked better than Minshew this preseason too except for that pick 6 vs. Dallas.

I rather AOC start personally.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Raiders are going to be a bad team this year.

Possible. But our defense is looking very very good. Week 9 onwards they ranked 2nd in the NFL last year.

Excellent secondary. Jack Jones and Jakorian Bennnett at corner. Moehrig is due for a Pro Bowl year this year. Maxx Crosby is a Top 5-6 Defensive Player in the NFL. Malcolm Koonce broke out last year as another dominant pass rusher. We signed one of the best DT’s in football in Christian Wilkins. It’s going to be a nasty defense. 

On offense we have a great roster as well. Solid OL, Zamir White, Davante Adams, Jakobi Meyers, Tre Tucker, Brock Bowers, Michael Mayer. If you’ve never heard of Zamir White, aka Zeus, get ready. 

If we had a QB, I think this team is a Super Bowl contender. Unfortunately it’s one of the worst QB Rooms in the league and QB is everything in this league. 

I could see us going 3-14, I could see us going 11-6 with a wildcard spot. Neither would surprise me. I think we likely end up around 7-10. 

If we had a QB, this team is a 13-4 Super Bowl contender 100%. 

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, Tank4Drake said:

Possible. But our defense is looking very very good. Week 9 onwards they ranked 2nd in the NFL last year.

Excellent secondary. Jack Jones and Jakorian Bennnett at corner. Moehrig is due for a Pro Bowl year this year. Maxx Crosby is a Top 5-6 Defensive Player in the NFL. Malcolm Koonce broke out last year as another dominant pass rusher. We signed one of the best DT’s in football in Christian Wilkins. It’s going to be a nasty defense. 

On offense we have a great roster as well. Solid OL, Zamir White, Davante Adams, Jakobi Meyers, Tre Tucker, Brock Bowers, Michael Mayer. If you’ve never heard of Zamir White, aka Zeus, get ready. 

If we had a QB, I think this team is a Super Bowl contender. Unfortunately it’s one of the worst QB Rooms in the league and QB is everything in this league. 

I could see us going 3-14, I could see us going 11-6 with a wildcard spot. Neither would surprise me. I think we likely end up around 7-10. 

If we had a QB, this team is a 13-4 Super Bowl contender 100%. 

I also am a Raider fan, but we aren't a SB contender. Like if you transferred Patrick Mahomes from the Chiefs to us for free, yeah sure maybe, but we aren't a Dak or Kirk away from SB contender (especially with the reality that the Chiefs are that until they prove otherwise). I think we are better than the Broncos fairly easily, and I think we are better than the Chargers. Guys like Jakorian Bennett and on our OL guys like the crippled OLmen from the Bears, Andrus Peat, and losing Jermaine Eluemunor isn't going to likely going to sway non-Raider fans into believing we are a real team. We have a LT and a C, and maybe a RG. We have a hopefully mid-RT and likely a hole at LG unless Peat or Whitehair rebound extremely well upon joining us. Moehrig can be good, he needs to step up more though. He isn't a Kyle Hamilton or whatever and the one we landed from the Eagles has kinda disappointed a touch. I wouldn't say we're great, we should be competitive. I think Minshew can win games with a competitive team though, but we aren't Eagles-tier talented... we might be more or differently talented than the Colts though and he almost made a playoff push for them last season. A huge reason for our late season boom was locker room buying in to Pierce from McDaniels. If Pierce slips control of the locker room we can tank hard, a lot of our upside is on being bought in Us v. the World.

Not sure why this is even surprising people? From the second they signed Minshew , he was the favorite.  

It's the equivalent of the Eagles #2 QB competition.  It doesn't matter if Tanner McKee has completely outperformed Kenny Pickett.  Clearly shown to be the better option as #2. He's not getting the title!!!!

The "pedigree" of Pickett much like Minshew with his 37 NFL starts , won him that job on principle alone. AOC , never had a chance!

45 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

Not sure why this is even surprising people? From the second they signed Minshew , he was the favorite.  

It's the equivalent of the Eagles #2 QB competition.  It doesn't matter if Tanner McKee has completely outperformed Kenny Pickett.  Clearly shown to be the better option as #2. He's not getting the title!!!!

The "pedigree" of Pickett much like Minshew with his 37 NFL starts , won him that job on principle alone. AOC , never had a chance!

Basically every media member close to the team said it was going to be AOC throughout camp. And before the start of camp AP said that it was AOC's job to lose. Based on the preseason I was pretty surprised it was Minshew.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Basically every media member close to the team said it was going to be AOC throughout camp. And before the start of camp AP said that it was AOC's job to lose. Based on the preseason I was pretty surprised it was Minshew.

I'm suggesting all of that "reporting" was just Fluff. Why would AP not say it's AOC job to lose, seriously? The QB that helped him keep the HC job as a Raider?

Had he said Minshew was QB1 from the start and AOC actually beat him out, then what? How would that of played out in the lockerroom?

Like NE with Brissett they are going with the QB who has more NFL expirence. If/when things fall apart, AOC like Maye can fly in for the rescue. Or at least not get the blame for a horrific start. 🤷‍♂️

Always thought this was the case!

Edited by Nabbs4u

3 hours ago, Trojan said:

I also am a Raider fan, but we aren't a SB contender. Like if you transferred Patrick Mahomes from the Chiefs to us for free, yeah sure maybe, but we aren't a Dak or Kirk away from SB contender (especially with the reality that the Chiefs are that until they prove otherwise). I think we are better than the Broncos fairly easily, and I think we are better than the Chargers. Guys like Jakorian Bennett and on our OL guys like the crippled OLmen from the Bears, Andrus Peat, and losing Jermaine Eluemunor isn't going to likely going to sway non-Raider fans into believing we are a real team. We have a LT and a C, and maybe a RG. We have a hopefully mid-RT and likely a hole at LG unless Peat or Whitehair rebound extremely well upon joining us. Moehrig can be good, he needs to step up more though. He isn't a Kyle Hamilton or whatever and the one we landed from the Eagles has kinda disappointed a touch. I wouldn't say we're great, we should be competitive. I think Minshew can win games with a competitive team though, but we aren't Eagles-tier talented... we might be more or differently talented than the Colts though and he almost made a playoff push for them last season. A huge reason for our late season boom was locker room buying in to Pierce from McDaniels. If Pierce slips control of the locker room we can tank hard, a lot of our upside is on being bought in Us v. the World.

I think Nix is going to surprise and the Broncos will be much better than expected. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

I'm suggesting all of that "reporting" was just Fluff. Why would AP not say it's AOC job to lose, seriously? The QB that helped him keep the HC job as a Raider?

Had he said Minshew was QB1 from the start and AOC actually beat him out, then what? How would that of played out in the lockerroom?

Like NE with Brissett they are going with the QB who has more NFL expirence. If/when things fall apart, AOC like Maye can fly in for the rescue. Or at least not get the blame for a horrific start. 🤷‍♂️

Always thought this was the case!

We gave Minshew a 2 yr/$15M deal, it wasn't some substantial amount of money. 

The consensus among Raider fans and media was that AOC was likely going to start because he profiles as a game manager that can play within the scheme. He was getting the majority of first team reps throughout camp and started the first preseason game. I thought they'd bring Minshew off the bench as a potential spark plug that can create out of structure if the offense struggled early under AOC. 

Our OL is pretty banged up to start the year though so I think Minshew's mobility played a huge role in the decision. Especially when considering that AP said they picked Minshew because they felt he was better equipped to get the team out to a fast start.

I guess I don't understand teams that do this? Rivera did it with us for like 3 out of his 4 years. We just went into a season with guys that had absolutely no chance at doing anything more than what you've seen from them already. Why not just throw a dart at the board on a mid round QB and see what happens? Rivera finally tried it with Howell but by that point he had ruined the team around him so the kid had no shot but at least the Raiders have a decent roster and could've supported someone like Rattler, Pratt or Milton. Yeah, it most likely won't work out but you'll still be where you are with these scrub vets like Minshew who win just enough to keep you out of picking in the top 5 but also out of the playoffs. Every year teams without a QB should be picking one. Now don't get me wrong, I love the fact that the Raiders didn't dump a ton of draft capital moving up for anyone outside of the top 3 which weren't available but I guess I would've liked to see them take a chance on one of those QBs later. 

• Like 1