53 Man Roster & Practice Squad Discussion Thread

3 hours ago, lavar703 said:

RIdgeway has shown more than Mathis and I'm pretty sure he's younger. Why not keep the one who's consistently shown more promise?

He’s not really a scheme fit.

Quinn cut him back in DAL as well, and I have to imagine it was for the same reason — he’s not a real one-gap disruptor type, which is what they’re looking for in the middle of the DL. They’re trying to create one-on-one mismatches, where you can win quickly and get quick penetration. 

That just isn’t really Ridgeway’s game. He’s a tough, rugged dude who can two-gap and impact the run game — but explosion and upfield penetration just aren’t really his forte.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, e16bball said:

He’s not really a scheme fit.

Quinn cut him back in DAL as well, and I have to imagine it was for the same reason — he’s not a real one-gap disruptor type, which is what they’re looking for in the middle of the DL. They’re trying to create one-on-one mismatches, where you can win quickly and get quick penetration. 

That just isn’t really Ridgeway’s game. He’s a tough, rugged dude who can two-gap and impact the run game — but explosion and upfield penetration just aren’t really his forte.

Well hopefully Mathis plays well and stays healthy. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, aceinthehouse said:

For those of you, not as excited about the Noah Brown signing as I am? 

this out.

I think it is a good signing.  I think we really need a possession type receiver and hopefully he can actually contribute in that fasion.  But we should be realistic.  We are in the same boat as before we cut Dotson.  We have Terry McLaurin and then a bunch of #3/4 WRs.  Peters obviously didn't think much of Brown or he would have given him more than a 1 year deal at 3M.  When you consider Aiyuk would have cost 30M, you would think if we thought anything of Noah Brown that we would have at least signed him for 2 years at 3M/year.   

• Like 1

It's reported we'll sign Nick Bellore-special teams ace cut by the Seahawks, He's 35.. Who do we cut - sounds crazy .

Read it on something called The Pedestrian Podcast . Probably bonus.

Edited by RSkinGM
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, offbyone said:

Ridgeway is worthless to us if Newton and Mathis are healthy.  By that account anything is better than nothing.  On the other hand, if Newton and Mathis can't be regular contributors, we got a problem.

To be sure. That is the nature of trades. If the position the player plays is not suddenly hit by injury/poor play, it's a great move. If it is, then the "hindsight is 20/20" thing comes into play

• Like 1

9 hours ago, lavar703 said:

RIdgeway has shown more than Mathis and I'm pretty sure he's younger. Why not keep the one who's consistently shown more promise?

Dunno. I'm not making the decisions. But you forget that this is the second time Ridgeway has been on a team with Quinn and each time he has been shown the door. Something about his game DQ doesn't like. 

EDIT: just saw that @e16bball answered your question

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, offbyone said:

I think it is a good signing.  I think we really need a possession type receiver and hopefully he can actually contribute in that fasion.  But we should be realistic.  We are in the same boat as before we cut Dotson.  We have Terry McLaurin and then a bunch of #3/4 WRs.  Peters obviously didn't think much of Brown or he would have given him more than a 1 year deal at 3M.  When you consider Aiyuk would have cost 30M, you would think if we thought anything of Noah Brown that we would have at least signed him for 2 years at 3M/year.   

I agree, I like the signing but this doesn't really change much, Noah is more equal to Dyami - a #4 on any good offense - than he is closer to being a true #2. They actually were going to sign Noah in March but he chose to re-sign in Houston, probably bc they were a better team that should make the playoffs.

I do like that they now have Dyami, Noah & LMC competing to be the #2. I still think Dyami gets the first crack at it but if he doesn't play consistently like in years past then Noah will get starts over Dyami.

I still think that LMC will be the guy at some point, maybe not until next year but still I think he’ll develop into a #2/the outside WR opposite Terry.

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1