53 Man Roster & Practice Squad Discussion Thread

24 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I hope Peters and Quinn are right about Forbes and he becomes at least a serviceable starter, if he does it could change the trajectory of our season.

Man I want it for the kid. I hope he wants it. I’ve seen better tape but still lapses. But they are seeing more.

I just hope we have enough to keep Jayden clean. And hopefully he just develops a good strategy for when to get down. I don’t expect some crazy change right away but hopefully we see growth. I think this kid has everything it takes. I really want to see this guy shine he seems to put so much into it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, turtle28 said:

I hope Peters and Quinn are right about Forbes and he becomes at least a serviceable starter, if he does it could change the trajectory of our season.

Pump the brakes on changing the trajectory of the season.  I have a feeling that the defense will keep us in some games, but Forbes isn’t protecting the QB or catching footballs for him.  

Forbes taking a big step and just being an above average CB2 is a start.  

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Pump the brakes on changing the trajectory of the season.  I have a feeling that the defense will keep us in some games, but Forbes isn’t protecting the QB or catching footballs for him.  

Forbes taking a big step and just being an above average CB2 is a start.  

If our outside CBs do enough then we could have a top 15 D bc our weakest spot by far is outside CB.

On offense, I don't think we're going to be a pass-first team - I expect us to run it 450-500 times this year - and if we are more of a passing teams it's going to be mostly short quick passes to WRs, passes to the TEs & screens/check-downs to BRob & Eckler.

If we have an offense that is the opposite of last year in scheme/playcalling then our rookie QB won’t be a sitting duck like Howell was despite our OTs not being better than average.

Edited by turtle28

Just now, turtle28 said:

If our outside CBs do enough then we could have a top 15 D bc our weakest spot by far is outside CB.

On offense, I don't think we're going to be a pass-first team - I expect us to run it 450-500 times this year - and if we are more of a passing teams it's going to be mostly short quick passes to WRs, passes to the TEs & screens/check-downs to BRob & Eckler.

If we have an offense that is the opposite of last year then our rookie QB wont be a sitting duck despite our OTs not being better than average.

It’s still a 5-7 win team at best.  Even Forbes becoming Revis Island 2.0 doesn’t change that calculus. 

6 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

It’s still a 5-7 win team at best.  Even Forbes becoming Revis Island 2.0 doesn’t change that calculus. 

I think so too but ball control does wonders when you have a good D.

10 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

I mean a revis level CB if the other two levels of the defense improve does actually do wonders for this defense because right now we could be projecting the worse outside CB play of the 32 teams. That’s why a lot of people are mocking a will Johnson or Travis Hunter so I do feel like if Forbes even just played solid to good play this season it would be a huge boost

Edited by ripsean21
  • Like 1

Great article if you want to dive a little further into roster churn, and know that it is not unique to a first year head coach purging the ‘old guard’ just to bring in his own guys. 

https://overthecap.com/roster-turnover-in-the-nfl#:~:text=On average only 56% of,a team by team basis.&text=Avg.,-Avg.&text=So about a quarter of,a year is around 70%.

Here is a spoiler- On average only 56% of players return from one year to the next and two years out it is just around 35%. Here are the numbers when calculated on a team by team basis.

• Like 1

On 8/30/2024 at 3:29 PM, Thaiphoon said:

To be sure. That is the nature of trades. If the position the player plays is not suddenly hit by injury/poor play, it's a great move. If it is, then the "hindsight is 20/20" thing comes into play

And I guess we should assume they know a lot more about Newton's health and Mathis.  

59 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

I’d like to point out that the chiefs rookie LT is going to start for them and we passed on him 3 times in the 2nd round. He’s been getting rave reviews in camp.

We have a rookie going to start for us at LT, who we took in the 3rd round. 

Who very well might be better.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, offbyone said:

And I guess we should assume they know a lot more about Newton's health and Mathis.  

Of course they do. They always know more than us even if we know a lot and all of us do. We can't forget that the people in the front office and our coaches are the ones giving the reporters the information they report on which is how we find out about information.

It doesn't mean they're always right but they do know more about their team and their players than we do. I have always known Mathis could play, he was awesome at Alabama but injuries have derailed his career the first few years. Hopefully he stays healthy this year and we finally see what he can be.

I think Newton is good to go but he's not going to be in football shape so there will be more of rotating with Mathis until Newton is in football shape..

2 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

I’d like to point out that the chiefs rookie LT is going to start for them and we passed on him 3 times in the 2nd round. He’s been getting rave reviews in camp.

I’m guessing you would've taken him over Newton, which I can understand but I like Saintistil & Sinnott. I wouldn't change those picks.

2 hours ago, aceinthehouse said:

We have a rookie going to start for us at LT, who we took in the 3rd round. 

Who very well might be better.

He's starting because the true starter is injured right ? Thought I read that .