53 Man Roster Cuts & Discussion.

GW21

5 minutes ago, struby3 said:

Why not just release Thomas with an injury settlement then? That way he could be return when healthy if they wanted him.

Because he can sign elsewhere and has to pass through waivers since he isn't a vested Vet yet. 

7 minutes ago, Justone2 said:

Because he can sign elsewhere and has to pass through waivers since he isn't a vested Vet yet. 

I highly doubt anybody would claim him since he is injured and not available to play for many weeks. (Also - he's not that good. Is he even really worth a 53-man roster spot?) And if he wanted to sign elsewhere before SF needed him, then no big deal since he is just insurance at this point. If SF doesn't want to activate him when he is finally fully healthy then he will be asking to be released from IR so that he can go play elsewhere. 

54 minutes ago, GW21 said:

Yeah, losing Kingston is annoying. 

Very! Really irritating that Kyle doesn’t have trust in rookies that have actually shown something and instead we have decided to go with Zakelj who hasn’t shown anything….ugh 

1 hour ago, Forge said:

If they designate them to return now, it uses up one of the max options they have for the entire season. Given the unknown recovery on Feliciano and likely just wanting to stash Ambry, they probably didn't want to burn an IR designated to return on them. 

I think it is also that they may not need either guy to come back. There is a scenario where our interior OL plays well and stays healthy and we dont need Feliciano. Same with our corners. I think they want to have the ability to bring them up, but not burn one of their return designations on either guy. 

Shame that feliciano couldnt go on PUP. 

1 hour ago, GW21 said:

Yeah, losing Kingston is annoying. 

Losing Kingston is very annoying. Got too cute. Our refusal to prioritize OL has and will come back to bite us. Shame they cant see it. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, struby3 said:

I highly doubt anybody would claim him since he is injured and not available to play for many weeks. (Also - he's not that good. Is he even really worth a 53-man roster spot?) And if he wanted to sign elsewhere before SF needed him, then no big deal since he is just insurance at this point. If SF doesn't want to activate him when he is finally fully healthy then he will be asking to be released from IR so that he can go play elsewhere. 

I don't disagree with you at all because i wouldn't have kept Thomas but just going from what i think the team decided to do with him. They wanted to have the flexibility to have him later in the season without having to already be locked in to him. In most cases i would say we are pretty good at the roster manipulation side of things and yeah losing a guy like Kingston sucks but with Saubert basically being ready to come back and i would guess we have another guy basically already handshake agreed to come back he wouldn't be on the roster even if we did things different with Thomas and Feliciano.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Forge said:

They didn't even bring latu back for the PS 😂 

This we all foresaw. The answer: hire us as a combined sniff test guy. They run the pick by us and if we hate it enough, we veto it. Would at least rule out the worst decisions lol. 

• Like 3