Initial 53-man roster set

Frank Crum is a stunner for me. I thought he played really poorly for most of the preseason. Guess our Coaches like his tools.

5 WRs is a slight surprise but we saw a lack of WRs on STs in preseason so that's a factor.

Hate 3 QBs as I've said enough times. 

4 OLBs is also a tad light from what we are used to seeing. 

• Like 1

I'm sure we'll see a little turnover at the bottom of the roster. Surprises for me were Eyioma (thought he'd go on the PS), 5 safeties (although I like all of them), How many offensive lineman we kept in general but like @lomaxgrUK said Crum especially (Thought he'd be on the PS). 

2 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Not wild about keeping three QBs. 

I also find it a little surprising they kept Watson. I know he was a priority free agent but they must have been worried about him not clearing waivers and landing on our PS. 

I wasn’t particularly impressed with Watson as a runner in preseason but they like his versatility + special teams value and as you said, they didn’t think he would make it through waivers as he was very in demand as a UDFA.

I think we're going to see Humphrey added back to the PS and then be the active 6th WR for at least 3+ games (because you get freebies until the 4th game, then you have to put them on the 53-man roster with the 4th callup, IIRC).

Edited by Broncofan

Lots of young guys. Also, we kept 5 OT's and only 4 IOL. maybe they're looking at Palczewski inside but if not Forsyth is the 1st man up for the IOL. With his preseason showing that's not very reassuring. 

2 hours ago, Broncofan said:

I think we're going to see Humphrey added back to the PS and then be the active 6th WR for at least 3+ games (because you get freebies until the 4th game, then you have to put them on the 53-man roster with the 4th callup, IIRC).

Wouldn’t be surprised if the play is to wait for a QB injury elsewhere during September and hope to move Stidham, clearing that roster spot for another WR while adding a pick.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, broncosfan_101 said:

Wouldn’t be surprised if the play is to wait for a QB injury elsewhere during September and hope to move Stidham, clearing that roster spot for another WR while adding a pick.

Who do you think would have higher value, Wilson or Stidham?

38 minutes ago, broncosfan_101 said:

IIRC you can activate a PS player 3x on Sunday to the active roster before you have to add to 53-man roster.   Def can see where that scenario plays out.   Pretty much zero chance we want to dress only 5 WR on Sundays.   Especially if Franklin is one of those 5.  

Edited by Broncofan

8 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

If it’s a team with a new system as a stopgap I imagine Stidham would get more interest since he’s familiar with more pro O’s.     We likely wouldn’t get more than a day 3 pick anyways.    

If Wilson was controllable for more years there would be a future investment value built in but he’s one and done after this season.    Hard to see him accrue much value given the circumstances.   

14 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

Sort of depends on which team is acquiring him. If it’s a playoff contender, Stidham’s higher floor is valuable. If it’s a bad team and they may as well grab a lottery ticket? Wilson.

I have a gut feeling that Payton has been surprised with the turnaround results Wilson has shown. Wilson is definitely a more athletic and talented NFL player (regardless of what Stiddy thinks of himself) than Stidham, but knows he isn't as refined within this offensive scheme yet.