Week One 9/8/24 game thread: vs Tennessee

beardown3231

I had a dream Caleb struggled terribly game one and the entire line and him got together after each drive to work on the snap under center. This won’t be realistic at all of course. 

Ive said it a few places now, but this will not be a cake walk game. No NFL game really is, but if you can be objective we are a very similar team to the Titans when it comes to level of roster talent, we are just allocated very differently. We are one game different last season (7-10 v 6-11) and while we averaged just over 20 Points per game they were just under 18. We were 5-4 at home last year (needs to be better) but the Titans were 1-7 on the road, which I dont think gets alot better under a new/rookie HC right away.

They really turned over their roster this year, so continuity is not something they will be relying on. Especially if the one thing that can usualy be relied on, DeAndre Hopkins, is still hampered if he makes it onto the field. But the one big edge that I know they will have is along the OL with Bill Callahan in charge, They have some major talent up front adding JC Latham to Skoronski and Radunz (although the hate got too high on Latham, I still had him as my 5 OT in this draft, but mostly due to lower potential, not immediate talent) and While they did sign Cushenberry, they were replacing Aaron Brewer, so as far as upgrade goes its pretty limited. But again, thats a bunch of new guys playing their first NFL game together just like our guys, they are just more talented.

Going against that line, there isnt anyone that can stop Sweat, so the real battle will be the rest of our DL and can they get home with 1-on-1. Dexter could be the huge x-factor on D this week. 

I know some have already said they like Spears over Pollard, but I have to completely disagree as a weapon, especially if TP is actually healed up finally. But I really trust our Run D, especially since we have added a bit to the DL lately and bolstered the Secondary allowing Brisker to be even more downhill. I do think our addition of Swift will be much more impactful than theirs of Pollard, since we are upgrading while they are trying to replace Henry.

Their DL is really talented too, going up against our Lunch-pail OL. I will say SJD (good on him still getting paid) but just just north of a JAG, and while T'Vondre Sweat is a marvel, I think he is not ready to be a true NT if thats actually how hes going to be used. He didnt play like that at Texas, and didnt sound like he was very excited about the prospect of that in the NFL. I can see him getting gassed very quick early in his career. But the point of this OL system is to completely neutralize one great player up front (Simmons) and as much as they have been praising some of their other Defensive pickups (Murray, Awuzie, Diggs, Jones) right now it seems like alot of guys that they have just thrown at the problem, but does that make a good defense? Especially as we have completely bolstered our offensive weapons this offseason too. Yes Snead is great, but he can only take on one of our guys at a time. I like Caleb's chances to identify the open guy.

Speaking of, Im expecting Caleb to make a mistake, first NFL game and all. But if that one isnt a back breaker and the ball just lands innocuously, he will get comfy and pick this defense apart. And on the other side, as exciting as he can be and as much as the Fantasy community likes him as a sleeper, it’s still Will Levis. A guy I watched alot of in college and plenty last year, and he just isnt an NFL caliber QB. He can patch holes with his legs and big arm. But when you have to be a QB, he falls apart. Especially if he doent have Nuke available. I think that is where the massive divide of these two teams is. The two things that Levis can do well to keep them in games, we can neutralize. We have possibly the best secondary in the league, so his cannon of an arm isnt likely to take advantage. And our LBs are big and fast, so his running ability isnt a major plus as he tries to run through guys, not by them.

In the end, I think this is a 1+ score game most of the time, but in the end, its Levis trying to play hero ball that bring it crashing down for the Titans. 

Bears win 34-20 on a Pick 6 to seal it.

Edited by StLunatic88
  • Like 5

23 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

Ive said it a few places now, but this will not be a cake walk game. No NFL game really is, but if you can be objective we are a very similar team to the Titans when it comes to level of roster talent, we are just allocated very differently. We are one game different last season (7-10 v 6-11) and while we averaged just over 20 Points per game they were just under 18. We were 5-4 at home last year (needs to be better) but the Titans were 1-7 on the road, which I dont think gets alot better under a new/rookie HC right away.

They really turned over their roster this year, so continuity is not something they will be relying on. Especially if the one thing that can usualy be relied on, DeAndre Hopkins, is still hampered if he makes it onto the field. But the one big edge that I know they will have is along the OL with Bill Callahan in charge, They have some major talent up front adding JC Latham to Skoronski and Radunz (although the hate got too high on Latham, I still had him as my 5 OT in this draft, but mostly due to lower potential, not immediate talent) and While they did sign Cushenberry, they were replacing Aaron Brewer, so as far as upgrade goes its pretty limited. But again, thats a bunch of new guys playing their first NFL game together just like our guys, they are just more talented.

Going against that line, there isnt anyone that can stop Sweat, so the real battle will be the rest of our DL and can they get home with 1-on-1. Dexter could be the huge x-factor on D this week. 

I know some have already said they like Spears over Pollard, but I have to completely disagree as a weapon, especially if TP is actually healed up finally. But I really trust our Run D, especially since we have added a bit to the DL lately and bolstered the Secondary allowing Brisker to be even more downhill. I do think our addition of Swift will be much more impactful than theirs of Pollard, since we are upgrading while they are trying to replace Henry.

Their DL is really talented too, going up against our Lunch-pail OL. I will say SJD (good on him still getting paid) but just just north of a JAG, and while T'Vondre Sweat is a marvel, I think he is not ready to be a true NT if thats actually how hes going to be used. He didnt play like that at Texas, and didnt sound like he was very excited about the prospect of that in the NFL. I can see him getting gassed very quick early in his career. But the point of this OL system is to completely neutralize one great player up front (Simmons) and as much as they have been praising some of their other Defensive pickups (Murray, Awuzie, Diggs, Jones) right now it seems like alot of guys that they have just thrown at the problem, but does that make a good defense? Especially as we have completely bolstered our offensive weapons this offseason too. Yes Snead is great, but he can only take on one of our guys at a time. I like Caleb's chances to identify the open guy.

Speaking of, Im expecting Caleb to make a mistake, first NFL game and all. But if that one isnt a back breaker and the ball just lands innocuously, he will get comfy and pick this defense apart. And on the other side, as exciting as he can be and as much as the Fantasy community likes him as a sleeper, it’s still Will Levis. A guy I watched alot of in college and plenty last year, and he just isnt an NFL caliber QB. He can patch holes with his legs and big arm. But when you have to be a QB, he falls apart. Especially if he doent have Nuke available. I think that is where the massive divide of these two teams is. The two things that Levis can do well to keep them in games, we can neutralize. We have possibly the best secondary in the league, so his cannon of an arm isnt likely to take advantage. And our LBs are big and fast, so his running ability isnt a major plus as he tries to run through guys, not by them.

In the end, I think this is a 1+ score game most of the time, but in the end, its Levis trying to play hero ball that bring it crashing down for the Titans. 

Bears win 34-20 on a Pick 6 to seal it.

You can't do ALL of that and not tell us who gets the pick six :(

• Like 1

On 9/7/2024 at 10:25 AM, beardown3231 said:

You can't do ALL of that and not tell us who gets the pick six :(

Haha that’s a fair point. The Secondary is so good we should have plenty to go around this year. 

I don’t hate the Byard call. It would be the big Sports Center highlight if it was Owen’s. But I’ll go with Tyrique as it’s a forced pass to Ridley 

23 minutes ago, CBears019 said:

Scott being inactive is interesting especially with Allen having been banged up…Roschon I suspect isn’t healthy right now…other than that it makes sense with Hardy offering much more on team and to be fair as a pass rusher than Robinson at this point.

13 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

Scott being inactive is interesting especially with Allen having been banged up…Roschon I suspect isn’t healthy right now…other than that it makes sense with Hardy offering much more on team and to be fair as a pass rusher than Robinson at this point.

I haven't seen RJ on an injury report. Aren't they violating league rules if they aren't disclosing it?

5 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

I haven't seen RJ on an injury report. Aren't they violating league rules if they aren't disclosing it?

Probably...but let's be honest these guys are rarely not dealing with at least something...maybe he just isn't 100%

41 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

Wonder what happened with Roschon. Rarely played this preseason and we never heard why

He’s possessed by the same demon that got Alan Williams