Week One 9/8/24 game thread: vs Tennessee

beardown3231

7 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

Good win guys. 

I have serious questions about how good Williams will be, but today he didn't need to be great and you guys still got the W. Not bad not bad!

Caleb will be fine, TEN's iDL is elite, he still did enough today. 

He put the ball in Keenan's hands for a TD, KA somehow wiffed. Caleb took an awful momentum-swinging sack missed KA streaking down sideline, but neither will happen again

• Like 2

A lot to like and a lot to dislike from this game. Really out of sync all around but definitely was tenacious all game.

Offense sucked, plain amd simple. IOL got owned by a top 5 group, which was expected, but Waldron took WAY too long to realize they were outmatched. It was like asking Mustipher to hold up against Donald or Vea. The balls to think that would work out... OTs seemed to hold up well though.

Williams struggled mightily. Made some plays but left easy throws on the field. Made some good throws that were dropped.

DL did well other than 2 drives where they got bent over. Booker had a few bad plays, Walker lost containment a few times, etc. Sweat, Billings, and Dexter were dudes.

LBs played well other than those 2 drives. Not perfect by any means but you saw some high level glashes in big moments and they really clamped down on a good running game.

DBs came through in the clutch. Stevenson got his *** owned a few plays, Ridley was just missed by Levis on 2 throws that should have been TDs. But he made the pick 6 and Johnson had one side of the field basically silent all game before they tested him. He passed.

STs was stellar besides Velus. Great returns, a block and return with Owens, and coverage as a whole was great.

Waldron was anything but impressive but Eberflus saw he needed to adjust the defense to be more stout and seal up running lanes, and put a premium on getting in Levis' face. 17-0 and he got the team to keep fighting, that's a serious sign of leadership from him amd the 37 captains. Still want to see him match up with MLF, KOC, and Ben Johnson, but this was a feather in his cap this week. As much as I've bashed him, I'll give Flubby his flowers here.

• Like 1

Yeah I hated this game but am glad we got the win. Caleb didn't do much productive, but he also didn't lose us the game when there were ample opportunities for him to press and give the ball away. Really cold comfort there, but he at least didn't explode.

My bigger question is what ancient burial site did George McCaskey violate to bring this curse upon the Bears?  I mean EVERY year we field a team, and no matter how much they invest on offense, or plan to be explosive, the only way the Bears seem to win is with grind it out run game and fiesty D with super unlikely wild plays.  Seriously you could clone Patrick Mahomes,  bring back the greatest show on turf, and spawn 4 Calvin Johnsons and we would still really be hoping to run out the clock with ten minutes left in the fourth. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Sugashane said:

A lot to like and a lot to dislike from this game. Really out of sync all around but definitely was tenacious all game.

Offense sucked, plain amd simple. IOL got owned by a top 5 group, which was expected, but Waldron took WAY too long to realize they were outmatched. It was like asking Mustipher to hold up against Donald or Vea. The balls to think that would work out... OTs seemed to hold up well though.

Williams struggled mightily. Made some plays but left easy throws on the field. Made some good throws that were dropped.

DL did well other than 2 drives where they got bent over. Booker had a few bad plays, Walker lost containment a few times, etc. Sweat, Billings, and Dexter were dudes.

LBs played well other than those 2 drives. Not perfect by any means but you saw some high level glashes in big moments and they really clamped down on a good running game.

DBs came through in the clutch. Stevenson got his *** owned a few plays, Ridley was just missed by Levis on 2 throws that should have been TDs. But he made the pick 6 and Johnson had one side of the field basically silent all game before they tested him. He passed.

STs was stellar besides Velus. Great returns, a block and return with Owens, and coverage as a whole was great.

Waldron was anything but impressive but Eberflus saw he needed to adjust the defense to be more stout and seal up running lanes, and put a premium on getting in Levis' face. 17-0 and he got the team to keep fighting, that's a serious sign of leadership from him amd the 37 captains. Still want to see him match up with MLF, KOC, and Ben Johnson, but this was a feather in his cap this week. As much as I've bashed him, I'll give Flubby his flowers here.

A win is great, but I'll be that guy: Williams needs to be a lot better. Too many deflected passes, missed at least 1 TD if not 2 on the Carter miss, and the sacks he took were backbreakers. The tipped passes at the LOS was very concerning. On one late in the game he had a WR screen blocked perfectly to Odunze (iirc) and it was deflected. It was likely a TD. He's my guy, he's a rookie and I pounded the table for him, but that was very unimpressive. I'm done handicapping these guys- Titans have a good DL, bears iOL sucks, rookie, first game, etc- just as I was with Fields. He needs to be a lot better, plain and simple

The negative momentum of 19 yard sack, a couple of overthrows and Velus muff was a lot to overcome.  Carter did good on returns.

Punt block and pick 6 did the trick. 

They ever going to let Velus return again?  Probably not. Sucks for him.

Maybe one day Poles will realize center position is important.  

Been saying since schedule TN interior was going to be a problem.

Shelton, Keenan Allen and Caleb had really bad days.

Billings balled out.  Whole defense in 2nd half.  

Not the way I wanted to win, but we survive and move on. Long season.  

• Like 2

I'm confused with the plan for Herbert. Sure the iOL sucks but you can't abandon straight ahead runs or even counters for the entire season. If you think he sucks, trade him. Homer seemed get burn than Herbert. They also love Everett. He got a ton of time today

2 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

I'm confused with the plan for Herbert. Sure the iOL sucks but you can't abandon straight ahead runs or even counters for the entire season. If you think he sucks, trade him. Homer seemed get burn than Herbert. They also love Everett. He got a ton of time today

I think he is hurt.  

6 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

I think he is hurt.  

You think he's hurt. @Madmike90 thinks Roschon is hurt. If both are hurt, the Bears are not only idiotis for violating league rules but they're also morons for playing short handed. IR one or the other and find another RB or dress an extra OL, DL, rtc

Huge Team win today. 

Caleb didn’t win it, but I don’t think he put us in position to lose it either (like Levi’s). I think he’s the first Rookie 1st Round QB to win his first game since Sam Darnold, so it’s rare, it’s just such a different game than college.

I said this in the pre-season; theoretically this should be the worst Caleb is as a QB, and should only grow from here. I saw someone comment on his height, I don’t think that was the issue today, the IOL was getting beat up and didn’t keep the DLs arms down at all because they were fighting for their lives. Then he tried to get away with some quick slings instead of a full throw. I more didn’t like him over-throwing. He should share the blame on some of those drops. He didn’t do anything to wow today, needs to settle in, and we need to use his legs more. They are a weapon

My biggest question today is for Waldron and mostly what was the plan to deal with that nasty DL. You knew they were way better than our OL, why did we have so much 1-on-1 inside? And more importantly what the heck were we doing with the Run game for 80% of the game? When we finally went outside it worked like a charm. I’m glad he made the switch eventually, but why wasn’t that the plan from the kickoff? Why didn’t we switch at Halftime? Why is Homer getting carries? The play calling didn’t infuriate me like Getsy, but I still have some questions.

Keenan clearly isn’t 100%. Feels like Sweat may be banged up already too. Going to be a long year if these guys aren’t close to 100%

Daryl Taylor… what a freaking pickup. Guy already made himself some money, he might price himself out of our range if he keeps this up all year, but I’ll take it. 

This defense is going to be nasty, when we have a lead (or decide to play like we have one) they are crazy good.

And we have some WEAPONS on Special Teams. Just keep Velus as far away as possible (still think he is a useful RB though)

Big Time win, especially traveling to Houston next week. This place would have been Miserable if we lost this game and Caleb played like that. Still plenty of ways to go with this team. 

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

You think he's hurt. @Madmike90 thinks Roschon is hurt. If both are hurt, the Bears are not only idiotis for violating league rules but they're also morons for playing short handed. IR one or the other and find another RB or dress an extra OL, DL, rtc

Oh I meant Roschon not Herbert.  

47 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

At one point it looked like it might be a blow out.  To come away with a win instead is a better outcome.

It definitely could have been worse, look at the packers. They are 0-1 and lost their overhyped and overpaid QB for 3+ weeks.

• Like 1