Better WR? Odell Beckham Jr or DeAndre Hopkins

mdonnelly21

38 members have voted

1. 1. Better WR

• Odell Beckham Jr
    • DeAndre Hopkins

Odell was widely considered the best WR not named Julio and Antonio Brown last year. 

My gut instinct is that DeAndre Hopkins is the 3rd best WR in the league overall behind Julio and AB if you don't go on stats of course. 

Simply because Julio is not having as good of a season, but most would take him over Hopkins. 

2 hours ago, john305 said:

I'm taking Odell I feel like he's more dynamic. Hopkins has 35 TD's compared to Odell's 38 even though Odell has essentially played 2 less years.

I also think Hopkins has had more yards this year then Odell has ever had, in his career. 

2 hours ago, john305 said:

I'm taking Odell I feel like he's more dynamic. Hopkins has 35 TD's compared to Odell's 38 even though Odell has essentially played 2 less years.

TD’s are a terrible way to evaluate a WR. TD’s are way to dependent on the offense a WR plays in and the QB the WR has throwing him the ball. 

3 minutes ago, Ketchup said:

TD’s are a terrible way to evaluate a WR. TD’s are way to dependent on the offense a WR plays in and the QB the WR has throwing him the ball. 

...and if you look at the cast of characters throwing Hopkins the ball during his career, you'll really struggle to understand how Hopkins was so productive over his career. 

I think Odell is the more explosive player, but some of the things Hopkins does is amazing. They both have phenomenal hands, Odell is a lot faster and Hopkins is stronger against tight coverage. 

I'd say Hopkins, but you guys knew that already.

3 hours ago, Ketchup said:

Great players can put-up big numbers despite their supporting cast to a certain extent.

1995 Isaac Bruce put up career numbers with Chris Miller as his QB.

1998 Randall Cunningham had a career year with Randy Moss/-heck Moss had double digit TD's 9 of his first 12 years playing with the likes of Jeff George, Culpepper, Cunningham...besides 2 years of Brady he never had a great QB.

1986 Jerry Rice had the second most yards and TD's of his career with Montana out half the season with Jeff Kemp and Mike Moroski he had 40 catches for 820 yds and 9 ads in 8 games.  With Grbac (9), Kemp (6), Bono (6), Moroski (2) and Cavanugh (1) starting 24 games for the 49ers. Rice caught 134 passes for 2,177 yards and 23 TDs, and ran for 1 TD.

Larry Fitzgerald has caught 109 TD's so far and that's with garbage QB besides Warner for basically 3.5 years.

Obviously TD's isn't the only metric to look at when evaluating QB's but when one player has 38 in 3 years  and another 35 in 5. Thats too big a discrepancy to not take note. Also you could say that about every stat a WR earns being dependent on the offense he plays in and the QB he has. It's probably the skill position most dependent on other factors. Unfortunately theres no way to know which WR's will do what with so and so at QB or if every WR played in the exact same offense with the same caliber of QB whose numbers would explode.

Who knows maybe Hines Ward would of had Jerry Rice type numbers if he played with Peyton Manning his entire career, maybe he would have been a first ballot HOF player. Unfortunately he didn't so we judge him based on what he did accomplish with the QB he had and the offense he played. Same with Hopkins right or wrong all I can do is judge him based on what he's done with the QB's he's had and the offense he plays in.

I would say it depends on what you're looking for in a wide receiver. 

If you want a speed and finesse receiver who can take a 10 yard slant seventy yards to the house or make a one handed circus catch down the field Cris Collinsworth dreams of in his most private moments, the answer is OBJ.

If you want probably probably the toughest most physical possession receiver since at least Hines Ward, possibly since Michael Irvin, then you go with DeAndre Hopkins. 

IMO, until OBJ proves what happened in the playoffs last year was a fluke, I'm going with Hopkins going forward.  Once that happens, I would change my vote to Beckham. 

5 hours ago, Crickett said:

If you want a speed and finesse receiver who can take a 10 yard slant seventy yards to the house or make a one handed circus catch down the field Cris Collinsworth dreams of in his most private moments, the answer is OBJ.

If you want probably probably the toughest most physical possession receiver since at least Hines Ward, possibly since Michael Irvin, then you go with DeAndre Hopkins. 

IMO, until OBJ proves what happened in the playoffs last year was a fluke, I'm going with Hopkins going forward.  Once that happens, I would change my vote to Beckham. 

This again. 

9 hours ago, Crickett said:

What exactly has Nuk done during the post-season though?

Archived