GDT Week 1: Raiders @ Chargers

NYRaider

Who ya got?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Winner

• Raiders
    • Chargers

6 hours ago, reddevil said:

Agreed. I can’t ever remember him having a fully consistent game. There’s always an area that he’s found wanting.

I thought Spillane was good though.

I’d be more inclined to try any of the alternatives in all honesty. Gainer would be top of the list because, from the limited time we’ve seen, he looks like he may be the one guy with genuine upside.

But I’d quite happily try Masterson or even Burney who, while almost certainly jags, wouldn’t be a drop off from Deablo and have shown flashes.

I didn’t think he was all that bad, until I think it was in the third quarter when he looked like he was coming on a blitz, got offsides then after giving them a free play completely gave up a lane and whiffed on the tackle that the RB scored. Litany of errors.

As you say, Gainer is definitely worth a shot, he looked stellar in the pre season, as much as we have to accept it was the pre season.

Watched the 22 film

-wtf is trey blocking 80% of the time he’s on the field 

-kolt must still be injured everyone was abusing him

-protection prevented so many big plays

-Brock’s big play came out of a 3 te set

-we run out of shotgun unsuccessfully multiple times including 4th down 🤦🏽‍♂️

Edited by NCOUGHMAN
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

we run out of shotgun unsuccessfully multiple times including 4th down 🤦🏽‍♂️

This college/nfl  trend of running out of shotgun on 3rd/4th and short is so absurd . Might as well tell the ref to Move the line of scrimmage back 3 yards

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bucksavage1 said:

This college/nfl  trend of running out of shotgun on 3rd/4th and short is so absurd . Might as well tell the ref to Move the line of scrimmage back 3 yards

It's one of those plays where I find it amazing that it fools anyone nearly as often as it does. 

Similar to how people got so confused over Taysom Hill lining up at QB. Just run coverage as you usually word, and expect that 9/10 times he's just going to run. It shouldn't have been nearly as effective as it was for the time it was, given it rarely deviated from the known script, yet professional DCs/defenses were absolutely bewildered by it lol

1 hour ago, bucksavage1 said:

Yea it doesn’t work unless you have a great passing game. Nobody is afraid of our offense passing or running lol

On 9/12/2024 at 11:45 AM, big_palooka said:

Deablo was awful. Raiders need better LBs. He plays like that again, let Gainer get some run.  

The Tape Don’t Lie breakdown highlights his mistakes that led to the big plays. He was responsible for quite a bit of that loss…

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, reddevil said:

The Tape Don’t Lie breakdown highlights his mistakes that led to the big plays. He was responsible for quite a bit of that loss…

Agree. I'd let gainer play based on how good he looked in preseason.

Spillane is good but Deablo and Epps were our worst defensive players by far last week.

2 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Agree. I'd let gainer play based on how good he looked in preseason.

Spillane is good but Deablo and Epps were our worst defensive players by far last week.

Gainer's initial read, hustle & physicality, were impressive, no doubt. But he seemed to have serious target lock issues, and it was ALL one preseason game, as far as I know (did I miss him beyond that?). I feel like he's a project that CAN be coached to target (inside hip!). I'm excited about him in the hands of this D staff.

But would his mistakes profile be BETTER than Diablo's, near-term? Diablo had a few glaring mistakes, but played well enough, I thought, otherwise. I felt his main failure was OVER-aggressiveness. Yanking a guy who's hustling, after ONE game, for a guy who would quite probably hustle right past MORE ball carriers, may be counter-productive for both guys, unless he's aces in practice right now.

On the other hand, Jackson and Henry are BEASTS, and Gainer showed up, sideline-to-sideline, with ROCKS in his pocket. Wouldn't complain about seeing him get a little work in a run-down package, for that quality alone, again assuming he's shown the coaches his ability to track the ball in practice. He's sure fun to watch!

• Like 3

As feared… Minshew and Getsy are the worst QB and OC in the NFL currently starting (outside of Daniel Jones and Bryce Young). 

AOC is probably bad too, but can’t be worse than Minshew imo. 

I thought Zamir looked fine, his OL was injured, no JPJ, and they were stacking the box with 8 because they have zero respect for Minshew or Getsy. 

Defense looked fine. Every defense is gonna look meh when your offense leaves you on the field all day. 

Don’t believe the Alexander Mattison mirage. He graded out as the worst RB in the league last year. He’s really really bad. 

Lastly, the one bright spot, Bowers looked REALLY good. 

One more thing, if this is our team, with no corrections, we are going 3-14 with Adams traded mid-season. Gonna be miserable. 

4 hours ago, LongJonSilver said:

Gainer's initial read, hustle & physicality, were impressive, no doubt. But he seemed to have serious target lock issues, and it was ALL one preseason game, as far as I know (did I miss him beyond that?). I feel like he's a project that CAN be coached to target (inside hip!). I'm excited about him in the hands of this D staff.

But would his mistakes profile be BETTER than Diablo's, near-term? Diablo had a few glaring mistakes, but played well enough, I thought, otherwise. I felt his main failure was OVER-aggressiveness. Yanking a guy who's hustling, after ONE game, for a guy who would quite probably hustle right past MORE ball carriers, may be counter-productive for both guys, unless he's aces in practice right now.

On the other hand, Jackson and Henry are BEASTS, and Gainer showed up, sideline-to-sideline, with ROCKS in his pocket. Wouldn't complain about seeing him get a little work in a run-down package, for that quality alone, again assuming he's shown the coaches his ability to track the ball in practice. He's sure fun to watch!

I knew the defense would get dogged in here lol. Played with half a dline, short fields and no rest and still held chargers to 22 points. Offense needs to do something. Literally only managed 3 points in 2nd, 3rd and 4th qtrs. 

4 hours ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

I knew the defense would get dogged in here lol. Played with half a dline, short fields and no rest and still held chargers to 22 points. Offense needs to do something. Literally only managed 3 points in 2nd, 3rd and 4th qtrs. 

In what way did you read the comments you quoted as dogging the defense?

8 hours ago, LongJonSilver said:

In what way did you read the comments you quoted as dogging the defense?

Not you but others here.

You’re new but I’ve been defending the defense for many moons around here.

Year after year offense does next to nothing most of the time but the defense gets the blame. People think defense should hold chargers to 9 points so the offense can suck in peace.