Dolphins extend CB Jalen Ramsey (3 / 72.3)

Forge

4 hours ago, Soko said:

Richard Sherman, Aqib Talib, Darrelle Revis, DRC, Brent Grimes, Ronde Barber,  Charles Tillman, Jonathan Joseph, Al Harris, Joe Haden, Patrick Peterson, Tramon Williams, all came to mind. Some of those guys were only a single season or two and right at 30/31, perhaps not a prime season but maybe Pro Bowl caliber one.

Don’t disagree that the age for falloff is right up there with RBs as perhaps the youngest among any other position, but I don’t think it’s as rare as it may seem. 33/34 is another story…

Tramon Williams is a great pull. Had a genuinely great year in AZ at age 34. Patty P? He keeps getting employed but he's genuinely a reason NOT to give Ramsey this contract. He fell off BADLY at like 29. 

2 minutes ago, HoboRocket said:

Tramon Williams is a great pull. Had a genuinely great year in AZ at age 34. Patty P? He keeps getting employed but he's genuinely a reason NOT to give Ramsey this contract. He fell off BADLY at like 29. 

I thought he was pretty much his second-half career self in Minnesota a couple years ago, but I might be misremembering.

1 minute ago, Soko said:

I thought he was pretty much his second-half career self in Minnesota a couple years ago, but I might be misremembering.

No he definitely did play better year 2 in MIN. But his last two years in AZ, year one in MIN, and last year in PIT he was a massive liability. He just didn't have the athleticism to run with guys anymore and he always was afraid of contact.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, HoboRocket said:

No he definitely did play better year 2 in MIN. But his last two years in AZ, year one in MIN, and last year in PIT he was a massive liability. He just didn't have the athleticism to run with guys anymore and he always was afraid of contact.

Not that it justifies the dollars that Ramsey’s going to bring in (at least “cap dollars”) but I think he could at least make that move you know safety ala Woodson when he starts to get slower. PP’s never had that physicality or that knack in zone, two things I think Ramsey definitely still has going for him.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Soko said:

Not that it justifies the dollars that Ramsey’s going to bring in (at least “cap dollars”) but I think he could at least make that move you know safety ala Woodson when he starts to get slower. PP’s never had that physicality or that knack in zone, two things I think Ramsey definitely still has going for him.

Yeah Peterson was always an elite off-man guy and ONLY an elite off-man guy. He didn't like hands in his face and he actively dodge runningbacks. And he was never as effective in zone until he got to Minnesota. He would shadow opposing #1 receivers and was never willing to do anything else. When he was given a different assignment by Vance Joseph due to his declining play, he threw a fit and forced his way out. 

Ramsey, like you said, has more of a physical factor. The only thing is with his "back," I'm not sure that it would be able to handle a change to safety lol. Might start "bothering him" again.

But if he did switch eventually, even if he can't be Charles Woodson, he should at least be Kareem Jackson.

5 hours ago, Soko said:

Richard Sherman, Aqib Talib, Darrelle Revis, DRC, Brent Grimes, Ronde Barber,  Charles Tillman, Jonathan Joseph, Al Harris, Joe Haden, Patrick Peterson, Tramon Williams, all came to mind. Some of those guys were only a single season or two and right at 30/31, perhaps not a prime season but maybe Pro Bowl caliber one.

Don’t disagree that the age for falloff is right up there with RBs as perhaps the youngest among any other position, but I don’t think it’s as rare as it may seem. 33/34 is another story…

Revis was 30 when he returned to the Jets in 2015 -- to say he was a shell of himself would be a massive understatement. 

He fell off a cliff when he went to Tampa (27), found his form again for one year in NE (29)... out of the league by 32.

Greatest CB all-time (imo) from 2009-2011, but his peak was very short-lived relative to most people in the "goat" conversation. Speaks to how dominant he was at his best and how quickly CBs can fall off.

34 minutes ago, NJC33 said:

Revis was 30 when he returned to the Jets in 2015 -- to say he was a shell of himself would be a massive understatement. 

He fell off a cliff when he went to Tampa (27), found his form again for one year in NE (29)... out of the league by 32.

Greatest CB all-time (imo) from 2009-2011, but his peak was very short-lived relative to most people in the "goat" conversation. Speaks to how dominant he was at his best and how quickly CBs can fall off.

Pro Bowl season aged 30, about counted for what I was getting at. 

Eh, a lot of great corners could last in the league longer if they're willing to go to 3rd or 4th option. Once guys have had the taste of being the #1 corner they never want to be "demoted" again whereas a WR will still be willing to hang on as the 3rd or 4th option

16 hours ago, Soko said:

You forgot the best one. Aeneas Williams. 
D!ck LeBeau was a beast after 30 as well. 
I feel like Ronde got better the older he got. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, El Ramster said:

You forgot the best one. Aeneas Williams. 
D!ck LeBeau was a beast after 30 as well. 
I feel like Ronde got better the older he got. 

I was trying to keep it more modern, if we’re going back eras then Darrell Green would’ve been the first to pop off.

38 minutes ago, Soko said:

I was trying to keep it more modern, if we’re going back eras then Darrell Green would’ve been the first to pop off.

Modern? 

I think Jonathan Joseph, Gilmore, Antoine Winfield the ageless one along with Terrence Newman. 

• Like 1