GB vs PHI : Post Game Recap

GHARMON9

Just now, skibrett15 said:

Stokes looked OK physically!  That was another takeaway I had from the game.  Played over nixon, which makes sense to me given their roles.  I'm surprised he is playing that much though.

Stokes looked OK and definitely glad to have him and Valentine this year. Nixon needed to make the grab on that ball he broke on. That was a gamble that paid off but didn’t cash in. The return at the end of the game was inexcusable and even if we still lose, maybe the butterfly effect means JL doesn’t get strung out on that play. We’ll never know that but it was an objectively horrendous decision. 

4 minutes ago, Refugee said:

Stokes looked OK and definitely glad to have him and Valentine this year. Nixon needed to make the grab on that ball he broke on. That was a gamble that paid off but didn’t cash in. The return at the end of the game was inexcusable and even if we still lose, maybe the butterfly effect means JL doesn’t get strung out on that play. We’ll never know that but it was an objectively horrendous decision. 

I'm ok with it tbh.  No guarantee we get that long completion to reed and also OB.

Getting a guaranteed stoppage is still a guaranteed stoppage.  If it's fieldable you gotta go for it.  It worked out quite poorly, but if he got to the 40 with 16 seconds instead of the 15 with 20 seconds it would've been a great result.

Edited by skibrett15

2 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

I'm ok with it tbh.  No guarantee we get that long completion to reed and also OB.

Getting a guaranteed stoppage is still a guaranteed stoppage.  If it's fieldable you gotta go for it.  It worked out quite poorly, but if he got to the 40 with 16 seconds instead of the 15 with 20 seconds it would've been a great result.

There yah go using common sense.  

The only issue is that you are hoping (against hope) that we would execute a specials play properly.  You knew that was going to end poorly because we've just been so bad at those plays for quite some time now.

The lightning that he caught in a bottle years ago is definitely gone now.

1 minute ago, skibrett15 said:

We needed a miracle so I know he was just trying to go all out, but it was deep in the EZ and seconds were more premium that yards at that point. It would have been a miraculous comeback but teams definitely concede the underneath routes to eliminate the big play and starting from our 30 we would have had time for a few 10yd chunk plays. Again, it’s unknowable and would have required some real good fortune but our chances went even further down after that bum *** return. 

4 minutes ago, Refugee said:

We needed a miracle so I know he was just trying to go all out, but it was deep in the EZ and seconds were more premium that yards at that point. It would have been a miraculous comeback but teams definitely concede the underneath routes to eliminate the big play and starting from our 30 we would have had time for a few 10yd chunk plays. Again, it’s unknowable and would have required some real good fortune but our chances went even further down after that bum *** return. 

I just see it as giving up a lottery ticket when we have <5% to win the game going into the drive regardless.  The seconds weren't that important.  The play ended up hurting us for sure.  But it took it from 5% to 1%. 

There's no reasonable drive from your own 30 with 27 seconds which is that different from your own 15 with 22 seconds.  You have time to get 2 long plays then a shot to the end zone.

But!, the kickoff return was also a lottery ticket to win the game on that play.  Even if it only happens 1/100 times, it's worth the risk when you're so far behind the 8 ball already.

4 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

I just see it as giving up a lottery ticket when we have <5% to win the game going into the drive regardless.  The seconds weren't that important.  The play ended up hurting us for sure.  But it took it from 5% to 1%. 

There's no reasonable drive from your own 30 with 27 seconds which is that different from your own 15 with 22 seconds.  You have time to get 2 long plays then a shot to the end zone.

But!, the kickoff return was also a lottery ticket to win the game on that play.  Even if it only happens 1/100 times, it's worth the risk when you're so far behind the 8 ball already.

I disagree with the yds/time calculus but we both agree neither were going to bring a high chance of getting into the EZ. The bigger problems were leaving points in the field and getting the clock bled out on Philly’s last drive. 

1 minute ago, Refugee said:

I disagree with the yds/time calculus but we both agree neither were going to bring a high chance of getting into the EZ. The bigger problems were leaving points in the field and getting the clock bled out on Philly’s last drive. 

it's the difference between a ~30 yard throw to the ez vs a 15 yard throw.  Certainly a difference.

philly's last drive was so painful and so familiar.

2 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

it's the difference between a ~30 yard throw to the ez vs a 15 yard throw.  Certainly a difference.

philly's last drive was so painful and so familiar.

The difference is the extra time and ease of getting it across the 50. We weren’t in Hail Mary mode until under 10 seconds. Well, hope Malik is up to the task next few weeks. We need him to mostly take care of the ball and take what’s out there but there will be situations where he’ll need to hit a rhythm throw or air it out and that’s what worries me. 

7 minutes ago, Refugee said:

The difference is the extra time and ease of getting it across the 50. We weren’t in Hail Mary mode until under 10 seconds. Well, hope Malik is up to the task next few weeks. We need him to mostly take care of the ball and take what’s out there but there will be situations where he’ll need to hit a rhythm throw or air it out and that’s what worries me. 

i believe in MLF to do a few things to make it easier on him

Gonna be an uphill climb until the midway point of the season though.  There's no short term QB solution that I like even a little bit.

• Like 1

Count me in the group that doesn't care about Nixon's return. It's certainly not a slight on Nixon. That would have obviously been a coaching staff decision regardless.

(if it wasn't a staff decision and Nixon defied their direction, Nixon shouldn't get return duties going forward)

Edited by incognito_man

2 hours ago, vegas492 said:

Red Zone offense.  When we tried power runs up the middle and needed a yard or two, we were stuffed.  We got the passing game going, then some seams opened up over the tackle positions, maybe the guard/tackle position.

Those two young DL's at Philly were really, really stout and disruptive.  They blew things up inside, when it mattered most.

Red zone was a **** show for sure, but it wasnt because we couldnt run the ball. the passing was still spotty for our 1st touchdown drive and that was all Wilson ripping them up the middle until Reed went end around for the home run.

The first 3 drives were marred by penalties, on the 3rd we picked up a 4th and 2 up the middle with Jacobs. Then it was 3 passes in goal to go.

We ran to the tune of 7.8 yards per rush while philly had 3.8 but their DTs are stout and ours are trash?

We really just be making **** up sometimes.

The run game was working exactly how run games work in the NFL. I would argue we didnt run enough to try and take ToP back.

Next two series were

pass inc.- pass inc.- Pass reed TD.

Pass inc. - solid run with pen- pass inc- pass inc-- pass inc.

Youre right the passing game really took off

Run mid 7-run mid 9 with pen- Int.

Passing game really humming

The argument doesnt turn in your favor from here but i can keep going if youd like.

Edited by HighCalebR

The run-game took a while, for Jones in the first half.  And it was bad on short-yardage.  (Didn't we lose yards on 2 of first 3 short-yardage runs?  So bad that later, when MLF had a half-yard-to-gain, he went to pass instead?  Shotgun, even?).

But it did really well outside of short-yardage.  

I thought pass really struggled all game.  Love was under much more pressure than Hurts, I thought.  Love had a lot of poor-location, bad-accuracy throws.  Lots of drops (Watson, Doubs, Wicks..). The big-play to Reed was a nice throw and really boosted the passing average.  But I thought Love looked bad, the non-Reed receivers looked bad, and guys weren't open enough to make for a lot of easy throws to build some rhythm.  The o-line obviously didn't give Love the 2nd-half time that Hurts was getting, but obviously Hurts scrambling ability impacts defense in a way that Love lacks.  

Having a zillion penalties in the first half didn't help either, or receivers slipping when trying to get open or to adjust to imprecise throws. 

Just kinda looked like a knock-the-rust-off warmup game after going through camp on injury-prevention mode.  

On the Love injury play, Myers also got injured.  I haven't been able to read much since the game...  Any news on him? 

I admit I shudder to think of Malik's security if he's got to start with Rhyan at center and Morgan at guard; or with Monk trying to hold up against NFL pass rushers.  Hoping Myers is OK?