BDL 2024 Week 1: New Orleans Jazz @ Raleigh Firebirds

RedGold

Who wins?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• New Orleans Jazz
    • Raleigh Firebirds

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/12/2024 at 04:59 AM

2 hours ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

Exactly. We did it. We got to the bottom line here, and the answer to the "why" you initially asked: he could do a number of things when different factors are at play, which is exactly why many argued in this thread that MHJR could have a better performance with a better supporting cast. I'm talking about possibility; you're the one talking about guarantees. You agreed that he would've had the exact same production with Mahomes at QB during Week 1, and that's nonsense. He could've had more. He could've gotten nothing. Those factors play a role, which is the basis of those arguments. That's how prediction and projection work.

That's the "why".

Let me rephrase my question then. Sure, he could have had a bigger game with a different QB and team around him; what makes you think he would?

16 minutes ago, Blue said:

Let me rephrase my question then. Sure, he could have had a bigger game with a different QB and team around him; what makes you think he would?

I'd love to respond, but I first have to ask: are you trolling? Apparently, my trolldar sucks. If you aren't, I'll happily answer.

1 hour ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

I'd love to respond, but I first have to ask: are you trolling? Apparently, my trolldar sucks. If you aren't, I'll happily answer.

No, genuinely would like your answer here, no judgment. Probably not even going to have a comment on it.

3 minutes ago, Blue said:

No, genuinely would like your answer here, no judgment. Probably not even going to have a comment on it.

I mean, I'm here for discussion, so I like the responses.

In this game, and with Pete's roster and gameplan, I feel that MHJR would be in a position to potentially lead his team in targets and significantly outperform his 1/4 Week 1 production. These lines from the gameplan were key:

Run/Pass Ratio: 40 run 60% pass 

Offensive Focus Players: Christian McCaffrey, Marvin Harrison Jr, Mark Andrews 

Knowing that McCaffrey missed the game, I'd have to assume that a pass-focused offense led by Stafford (a QB with a strong arm that isn't afraid to utilize his weapons) and that listed MHJR as the primary focus player would result in MHJR getting the ball frequently throughout the contest. When you factor in the opposing offense, led by Josh Allen, Josh Jacobs, and a trio of talented WRs, I'd have to think that Raleigh would need to pass to remain competitive. As a result, I was willing to conclude that MHJR would have more production here than he did in real life.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

I mean, I'm here for discussion, so I like the responses.

In this game, and with Pete's roster and gameplan, I feel that MHJR would be in a position to potentially lead his team in targets and significantly outperform his 1/4 Week 1 production. These lines from the gameplan were key:

Run/Pass Ratio: 40 run 60% pass 

Offensive Focus Players: Christian McCaffrey, Marvin Harrison Jr, Mark Andrews 

Knowing that McCaffrey missed the game, I'd have to assume that a pass-focused offense led by Stafford (a QB with a strong arm that isn't afraid to utilize his weapons) and that listed MHJR as the primary focus player would result in MHJR getting the ball frequently throughout the contest. When you factor in the opposing offense, led by Josh Allen, Josh Jacobs, and a trio of talented WRs, I'd have to think that Raleigh would need to pass to remain competitive. As a result, I was willing to conclude that MHJR would have more production here than he did in real life.

Alternative timeline:

McCaffrey is a late scratch, sending the Raleigh coaching staff into a tailspin. They attempt to insert other backs, but do not nearly have the same success as they would with McCaffrey. Stafford, feeling the pressure mounting on his shoulders, attempts to force more passes at his focus players. These players (MHJ, Andrews) are either unproven or banged up, and instead of thriving, wind up with a lot more incompletions, a lot more 3-and-outs, and a lot more lopsided score. Game quickly gets out of hand, resulting in New Orleans chewing up the clock against an exhausted Raleigh defense that has been on the field most of the game due to their offenses inability to complete passes or sustain drives. MHJ finishes with 1 catch for 4 yards and many targets, though due to inaccuracy, drops, and coverage focuses that results in pass deflections and interceptions, he could not make a greater impact.

11 minutes ago, RuskieTitan said:

Alternative timeline:

McCaffrey is a late scratch, sending the Raleigh coaching staff into a tailspin. They attempt to insert other backs, but do not nearly have the same success as they would with McCaffrey. Stafford, feeling the pressure mounting on his shoulders, attempts to force more passes at his focus players. These players (MHJ, Andrews) are either unproven or banged up, and instead of thriving, wind up with a lot more incompletions, a lot more 3-and-outs, and a lot more lopsided score. Game quickly gets out of hand, resulting in New Orleans chewing up the clock against an exhausted Raleigh defense that has been on the field most of the game due to their offenses inability to complete passes or sustain drives. MHJ finishes with 1 catch for 4 yards and many targets, though due to inaccuracy, drops, and coverage focuses that results in pass deflections and interceptions, he could not make a greater impact.

Also completely possible. Both are more than reasonable to suggest.

On 9/8/2024 at 11:13 AM, RedGold said:

RB- Christian McCaffrey 
WR- Marvin Harrison Jr

I think the defense would be too worked up about a dude not even playing and still getting 158 yards rushing or whatever and they would probably leave mhjr open more often