Rapoport: Ted Phillips Compiling List of Head Coaches

G08

50 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

I think it’s a leap to say that Fangio wouldn’t want to be here next year especially if Fox isn’t here. His presence should not be mandated upon any coach but he may not be anxious to leave either. What we have here already is HIS defense. Nobody else can offer him for 2018, and if the new coach comes in and says he can have autonomy with a group he’s already built to his specs for the last 3 seasons then that’s a pretty good situation for him too, especially if he’s given any assurance of adding another pass rusher at or near the top of the draft, if there is clarity on the impending FA, etc.

One would think if one of our candidates wanted Fangio they’d put a call in to him right away once they get their interview set up too selling him on staying with them. Hopefully some of those conversations are already taking place. The guys who are gonna be the top candidates should already have a pretty good idea where they may end up or at least want to end up. If you’re Flip or Nagy and you think you may end up in Chicago you’d be crazy to not at least have a convo with Fangio right now, directly or indirectly. 

It's not a leap at all to say that Fangio may want to go, particularly since Pace seems totally uninterested in giving Fangio any consideration for the HC position. That being said, I don't think anyone should feel safe to say it's a foregone conclusion that he leaves, either. He's not truly a "Fox guy" they were just friends who wound up coaching for the same team. As I've said before, I'm torn about Fangio leaving. He's a good coach that's gotten decent results, but it's simply not worth putting off any decent potential HC by pushing Fangio. 

The Score was talking about Fangio today. Bernstien was saying that if he doesn’t get get a HC gig that staying in Chicago might be the best move professionally. 

He has built something, he knows the talent, he will get full autonomy.

If he goes to a team with less talent and they struggle or it takes 2-3 years to get the defense together like here, that might end his HC chances as he will be in his 60s.

24 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

The Score was talking about Fangio today. Bernstien was saying that if he doesn’t get get a HC gig that staying in Chicago might be the best move professionally. 

If he goes to a team with less talent and they struggle or it takes 2-3 years to get the defense together like here, that might end his HC chances as he will be in his 60s.

This is exactly right. We have players buying into his system and even when we have had some crippling injuries, his defenses have ranked pretty well.

That being said I am not opposed to him moving on. He wants to rely on getting pressure with 4 or less, but we do NOT have the personnel to do that at all. His lack of flexibility annoys the hell out of me. Look at Schwartz, he has an incredibly talented group to work with, but he dials up pressure to help mask his mediocre CBs. Fangio doesn't do much to help our mediocre passrush, not at all.

2 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

He's a good coach that's gotten decent results, but it's simply not worth putting off any decent potential HC by pushing Fangio. 

I specifically said he should not be mandated upon any candidate. 

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

This was the point I was trying to make. 

8 hours ago, WindyCity said:

My guess is that most of these young offensive guys would be more than interested in sitting down with Fangio and Donatell.

I'm torn on the subject... none of us know if Fangio is kind of a **** to work with (not saying he is). What if the new head coach is like "you know what, I have my own guy in mind with whom I've built a solid relationship over the years. I prefer him." Do we say sorry, you don't get the job?

Do we ask them to at least interview Fangio to see if it's a potential match?

1 hour ago, G08 said:

I'm torn on the subject... none of us know if Fangio is kind of a **** to work with (not saying he is). What if the new head coach is like "you know what, I have my own guy in mind with whom I've built a solid relationship over the years. I prefer him." Do we say sorry, you don't get the job?

I don’t - it should be their call to me. It’s their *** on the line. I don’t want to restrict my coach in doing his job at all, even if I think Vic is a better coach than his guy. If I don’t think he can assemble a competent staff, with or without Fangio, then I am probably not hiring that guy. 

Just now, AZBearsFan said:

I don’t - it should be their call to me. It’s their *** on the line. I don’t want to restrict my coach in doing his job at all, even if I think Vic is a better coach than his guy. If I don’t think he can assemble a competent staff, with or without Fangio, then I am probably not hiring that guy. 

Suppose it's DeFilippo and he has tabbed Mike Pettine to be his DC. What do you do in that instance? Just not even mention Fangio as an option or do you say hey, we had this guy here who has turned us around, would you consider giving him an interview?

2 hours ago, G08 said:

You go with the best HC, even if it means tossing Fangio out. He will find work.

BUT - to toss Fangio I would want a detailed description of the defense and how it will ustilize the players we have, plus what is needed to add for it to thrive. The HC and new DC HAVE to understand this offseason is about Trubisky first, the defense will get a few pieces as the secondary priority.

I'll take DeFilippo and Pettine over Carmichael and Fangio 7  days a week

Just now, G08 said:

Suppose it's DeFilippo and he has tabbed Mike Pettine to be his DC. What do you do in that instance? Just not even mention Fangio as an option or do you say hey, we had this guy here who has turned us around, would you consider giving him an interview?

I might mention that he’s available and talk about the successes of the defense but not with any kind of mandate. If I’m Pace I’ve probably talked to Fangio at the end of the season too before any of the interviews to let him know they’d like him back (assuming they do of course) if the new HC wants him and let him know they’d suggest but not mandate it to the new guy.  If nothing else if he’s open to it it may buy us some time before he signs on elsewhere. 

6 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

I might mention that he’s available and talk about the successes of the defense but not with any kind of mandate. If I’m Pace I’ve probably talked to Fangio at the end of the season too before any of the interviews to let him know they’d like him back (assuming they do of course) if the new HC wants him and let him know they’d suggest but not mandate it to the new guy.  If nothing else if he’s open to it it may buy us some time before he signs on elsewhere. 

He sounded like he would be interested in sticking around if afforded the opportunity.

Then again, there are reports that Pace offered him a contract extension and he refused.

Is this because he wanted to see if there were any head coaching opportunities for him? I doubt it, since we can't block those opportunities.

Is it because he wants to see what other jobs are out there -- including who the new HC in Chicago will be? This is where my money goes.

2 hours ago, G08 said:

He sounded like he would be interested in sticking around if afforded the opportunity.

Then again, there are reports that Pace offered him a contract extension and he refused.

Is this because he wanted to see if there were any head coaching opportunities for him? I doubt it, since we can't block those opportunities.

Is it because he wants to see what other jobs are out there -- including who the new HC in Chicago will be? This is where my money goes.

Yeah, my thought would be that he wanted to see to which HC he would have been tied. Which makes a lot of sense really. 

6 hours ago, Epyon said:

Sports mockery article today :

Pace's potential list apparently has a ton of college guys on it too:

https://t.co/ccNWGODJWA

Does that site actually know anything? Always seems to have hot scoops that are never verified or disproved. 

Incidentally, does anyone else hate the fill in guys for Spiegel and Parkins this week? Full of sarcasm and snark but without any info. Didn't realize how much I liked the afternoon show until I heard the temps.

Archived