The Good the Bad the Loss

NickButera

5 hours ago, RaisinBran said:

Am I the only one who thinks Minshew actually played pretty well aside from maybe 2-3 plays? I know that's a funny thing to say since those 2-3 plays were costly but I didn't necessarily see him make any bad throws that were off target. Had a really high completion % and that backwards pass/fumble was nuts, but overall I thought he did ok. 

What sucks is if we don't have the two costly fumbles (1 from Minshew and 1 from White) we most likely win this game. Defense played really well. Frustrating loss but I did see some positives.... just sucks to lose to a team that I believe we are better than.

He left to many yards on the field. He played not to lose and make mistakes. As a result he missed on some chunk plays. And he's way to quick to bail out of the pocket and into trouble at times. But that's been his criticism his entire career. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, big_palooka said:

He left to many yards on the field. He played not to lose and make mistakes. As a result he missed on some chunk plays. And he's way to quick to bail out of the pocket and into trouble at times. But that's been his criticism his entire career. 

This. He left a ton on the field because he would just check down or bail on the pocket.

14 hours ago, NickButera said:

In other news, we're about to to be evacuated due to a massive fire here in northern NV. 

I suppose I should have just grabbed a chair and a beer and went outside. Would have been a much more entertaining fire to watch

Stay safe, man. That's way more important than football.

7 hours ago, RaisinBran said:

Am I the only one who thinks Minshew actually played pretty well aside from maybe 2-3 plays? I know that's a funny thing to say since those 2-3 plays were costly but I didn't necessarily see him make any bad throws that were off target. Had a really high completion % and that backwards pass/fumble was nuts, but overall I thought he did ok. 

What sucks is if we don't have the two costly fumbles (1 from Minshew and 1 from White) we most likely win this game. Defense played really well. Frustrating loss but I did see some positives.... just sucks to lose to a team that I believe we are better than.

That dt pop up int was just nasty 🤦🏽‍♂️

13 hours ago, dante9876 said:

So nobody going to talk about how bad Miller was out there. Our best olineman was a mess. 

Mack damn near lost to every olineman except kolt. Every year mack just exploits kolt. Kolt being our best ol is another 🤦🏽‍♂️. I don’t remember Mack doing anything vs mumford. It’s almost like kolt plays nice vs Mack 

47 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

This. He left a ton on the field because he would just check down or bail on the pocket.

Running for no reason. He ran into a sack at one point. Had Adams wide open the play before the missed FG, but bailed and did nothing. He kept trying to "make plays" instead of just making the play that was there. Frustrating way to watch an offense. 

• Like 2

The Good

Brock Bowers getting his hands on the ball, it's only one game but he looks legit.

The defence apart from a few big plays, stopped them time and again, kept them to FGs even with great field position and I feel it's going to improve from here aswell.

On field discipline was good again, only 3 or 4 penalties I believe, didn't mind the set to in the back of the end zone.

Don't think many noticed but I thought Spillane was all over the place, real energy out there and had a good game.

Bennett as CB2 didn't embarrass himself. Taken with a pinch of salt as the Chargers despite having a very good QB were limited with weapons but at least he showed he might have potential.  

The Bad

If you're wanting to be a tough, hardnosed team you can't back down in the 4th quarter when faced with a 4th and 1 in opposition territory. I get AP trusts his punter and D but they'd done so much already and it's just a matter of time before they allowed a big play, it was pretty obvious that was going to happen. Bad decision making there.

I genuinely thought Minshew did some good out there but overall I have to have him in bad, you can't turn the ball over like that and miss as many open guys as he did and expect to win. @big_palooka is completely right, he bails on the pocket way too fast, doesn't have the patience to go through his reads and limits what we're doing. I think someone else said (maybe @Jeremy408) too that we're trying to force him to be more conservative which isn't his natural game. O'Connell feels like a much better fit for what they want to do which seems strange.

Oline was dominated throughout, didn't set a platform and made a huge difference with the protection and run game options. I'm going to give them benefit of the doubt with JPJ out and Miller rusty in his first game back.

All indications seem to be Tyree Wilson is yet another bust.

Just too many mistakes overall. We're a team that cannot overcome those. If we can limit those and play close to our potential like we did late last year we'll be tough for most teams but we simply can't beat ourselves out there. 

The Ugly

If you're going to be a ball control team, play tough D and grind out wins which seems to be what we're looking for, you simply cannot fumble away possession twice and throw an interception, 3 turnovers is too much to come back from. We need to be winning or at least breaking even in the turnover battle. 

Yet again, the Mack trade comes back to bite us in the ***.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

I genuinely thought Minshew did some good out there but overall I have to have him in bad, you can't turn the ball over like that and miss as many open guys as he did and expect to win. @big_palooka is completely right, he bails on the pocket way too fast, doesn't have the patience to go through his reads and limits what we're doing. I think someone else said (maybe @Jeremy408) too that we're trying to force him to be more conservative which isn't his natural game. O'Connell feels like a much better fit for what they want to do which seems strange.

I personally didn't see this. I saw what I've seen from Minshew everywhere he has been. Guy who quickly bails out of the pocket trying to make a play, often running himself into pressure or sacks. He wasn't taking shots down field, but I wonder if that was due to the route concepts or what. 

Interested to see some breakdowns of the film. Guessing we see a lot of yards left on the field.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Darbsk said:

The Good

Brock Bowers getting his hands on the ball, it's only one game but he looks legit.

The defence apart from a few big plays, stopped them time and again, kept them to FGs even with great field position and I feel it's going to improve from here aswell.

On field discipline was good again, only 3 or 4 penalties I believe, didn't mind the set to in the back of the end zone.

Don't think many noticed but I thought Spillane was all over the place, real energy out there and had a good game.

Bennett as CB2 didn't embarrass himself. Taken with a pinch of salt as the Chargers despite having a very good QB were limited with weapons but at least he showed he might have potential.  

The Bad

If you're wanting to be a tough, hardnosed team you can't back down in the 4th quarter when faced with a 4th and 1 in opposition territory. I get AP trusts his punter and D but they'd done so much already and it's just a matter of time before they allowed a big play, it was pretty obvious that was going to happen. Bad decision making there.

Oline was dominated throughout, didn't set a platform and made a huge difference with the protection and run game options. I'm going to give them benefit of the doubt with JPJ out and Miller rusty in his first game back.

Just too many mistakes overall. We're a team that cannot overcome those. If we can limit those and play close to our potential like we did late last year we'll be tough for most teams but we simply can't beat ourselves out there. 

The Ugly

If you're going to be a ball control team, play tough D and grind out wins which seems to be what we're looking for, you simply cannot fumble away possession twice and throw an interception, 3 turnovers is too much to come back from. We need to be winning or at least breaking even in the turnover battle. 

Yup that was me 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Brock 

Lmao it's so painful seeing how many yards were left on the field. Adams waving his hands late in the game when he's at the 1st down marker, Bowers open on what I think was a wheel (but pressure got to Minshew), this, etc.

Pisses me off man!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Darbsk said:

The Good

The Bad

The Ugly

This was my overwhelming feeling during the game. They are scheming for a game manager to keep things simple, get the ball into the hands of playmakers quickly and stay on script. But instead of choosing the QB who does that fairly well, they opted for the guy who does the opposite.

It’s a fundamental mismatch of ideas. They’re asking Minshew to play against type. He doesn’t seem to fit with what they want the QB play to be. And while AOC certainly isn’t the answer, he can do those things better.

Weird….

• Like 3