Week 2: VIKINGS (1-0) vs. 49ers (1-0)

swede700

17 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

The flashes have always been there. Zero consistency, and when he's bad...he's really bad. I think a lot of us old-timers are spoiled by many of the offensive lines of the 60's - 90's. 

While he might have always been inconsistent like this, I will always view that the CBA changes of 2011 really ruined offensive line play more than anything.  While I understand the reasoning, no contact until training camp really hurts offensive line development. 

That was a happy Vikings win for me. I was really surprised how well they handled the 49ers offense, for the most part. I couldn't watch it live, but I caught the highlights. My kid got in trouble on Saturday so he's on no TV which meant I couldn't watch the game. But I caught the highlights and listened to some of it which I kind of enjoy listening to it.

• Like 1

The Niners QB finished his day 28-of-36 passing for 319 yards with one touchdown to George Kittle and an interception. His passer rating was 101.3. His stats certainly were not terrible, but the Vikings all game didn't allow Purdy to get comfortable.

Greenard: "We just kept collapsing the pocket. He's a shorter guy, so whenever you can collapse a pocket so the taller – 6-foot-5, 6-6 O-linemen will be in his face and he has to kind of see over it, kind of maneuver and gets him off the spot. That's another thing to attribute this [win] to – it might not show up on the stat sheet when it comes to pass rush and stuff like that, but when you continuously pressure him, get him off the spot, that's a win for us in our role. That's the hidden stat. That's the one that nobody will see out there in the world, but we take pride in that."

https://www.vikings.com/news/blake-cashman-defense-make-big-stops-49ers-week-2

30 minutes ago, The Gnat said:

That was a happy Vikings win for me. I was really surprised how well they handled the 49ers offense, for the most part. I couldn't watch it live, but I caught the highlights. My kid got in trouble on Saturday so he's on no TV which meant I couldn't watch the game. But I caught the highlights and listened to some of it which I kind of enjoy listening to it.

The sacrifices you have to make as a parent

Minnesota played complementary football across the board, but the defending NFC Champions did manage to possess the ball for 34:48 – making for a long day for the Vikings defense. Their longest stretch on the field came on a San Francisco drive that ate up the final four-and-a-half minutes of the first quarter and first five minutes of the second quarter.

The Vikings came out of the series winded but triumphant after shutting down a fourth-down attempt by Purdy. But Darnold and Justin Jefferson had other plans, as they connected just three plays later for an incredible 97-yard touchdown.

Metellus: "If we're gonna put up points, then I don't need no breather."

https://www.vikings.com/news/blake-cashman-defense-make-big-stops-49ers-week-2

• Like 3

O'Connell: "The 97-yarder was one of the prettiest throws I've seen. I think Speedy would have been a long hit as well, depending on who Sam chose, and he chose the right one, launching that thing as pretty of a throw as I've seen, especially in those circumstances. And then Speedy's play-style finish to go get the block to get Justin in the end zone. So many examples of awesome stuff by our guys."

https://www.vikings.com/news/sam-darnold-deep-pass-leadership-key-drive-scrambling-win-49ers

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Which play was the “team” sack? Was it Purdy’s fumble?

The Vikings were credited with 6 sacks, but the players were only credited with 5. Jones was credited with 2, Greenard had 1, Van Ginkel had 1, and Cashman had 1. 

It's not showing on PFR either.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/min/2024.htm

Interesting that Jihad Ward has no tackles this year but does have a fumble recovery and 3 QB hits!

18 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

I’d still like to see O’Connell shelve his trick plays. We saw him try and get cute a few times last year, and they always seemed to slow the team’s momentum.

With how the Vikings’ offense was going, the attempted halfback pass for Chandler was just unnecessary, and frankly, dumb. Chandler got shoved out of bounds and it stopped the clock. They should have just called a normal run play. Not only was the run game working well, but it would have kept the clock running, and they could have run the clock under 3 minutes before kicking their final field goal. 

This x1,000.

Definitely not the right time or situation for it. Chandler has to have better football IQ/situational awareness there and stay in bounds.

I'm mostly against the trick/cute/outsmart yourself plays but let's at least have our full complement of offensive personnel on the field if we're going to try it (JJ, Addison, Hock, etc). 

• Like 2

On 9/16/2024 at 3:35 AM, viking said:

Take Fred Warner off thr 49ers and this game would have been a blowout.

Warner single handedly erased 10 points off the board for the 49ers. Could have been 30-7 in the 4th without him

Agreed, the Vikings shot themselves in the foot with those redzone turnovers. However, they were both fantastic plays by Warner. 

Get a few things cleaned up (turnovers and penalties) and this was a two-score win.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, JDBrocks said:

It's so frustrating, because 2 snaps later you'll see him not blocking anyone at all and running into the QB who's trying to get away from the pressure he allowed. I'm in favor of giving Risner a shot there.

I know the play you're speaking of. I really wish Darnold would've just taken the lane he had, I think it was 3rd and 3 and he could've ran for it. I'd have to watch another replay but I have a hard time blaming Ingram when Darnold went upfield and then decided to run backwards into Ingram.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vike daddy said:

Minnesota played complementary football across the board, but the defending NFC Champions did manage to possess the ball for 34:48 – making for a long day for the Vikings defense. Their longest stretch on the field came on a San Francisco drive that ate up the final four-and-a-half minutes of the first quarter and first five minutes of the second quarter.

This was concerning to me as the Vikings held the 49ers to 2/10 on 3rd downs and 1/3 on 4th downs.

Granted, a blocked punt and a 97-yard score probably helped skew those numbers a bit.

• Like 1