Bryce Young benched

game3525

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/41363349/sources-teams-interested-bryce-young-trade-panthers

Curious what the other teams would offer, but I guess since Zach Wilson was a late rounder, Justin Fields a bit more but he was better on the field than Zach Wilson was.  

Still both of those guys were given 3 years, Bryce Young at the moment was given 1 year and 2 games.

Sure they say they are not done with him but of course if a team can get him for a 6th or 5th rounder they would maybe do it.  Easy way to get a QB and if he does not turn out, who really cares.  It would be really interesting what Bryce Young would look like on the Texans and what CJ Stroud would look like on Carolina.  

Crazy Carolina beat Houston last year and Young had 235 yards passing in that game, Stroud 140.  I am not saying Young is better but no QB can do well getting pressure up the middle and the Panthers center currently is not great and those two OGs are not worth the crazy cash they paid them, and clearly they are not doing great either.  

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

Crazy Carolina beat Houston last year and Young had 235 yards passing in that game, Stroud 140.  I am not saying Young is better but no QB can do well getting pressure up the middle and the Panthers center currently is not great and those two OGs are not worth the crazy cash they paid them, and clearly they are not doing great either.  

The offensive line has not been the problem through 2 games.

11 minutes ago, iknowcool said:

The offensive line has not been the problem through 2 games.

Sure it is not the only problem, the fact Derrick Brown is injured is a massive issue and that DL is flat awful on paper without him.  Wonnum is also out, Dane Jackson and A'Shawn Robinson is questionable to play this up coming week. Still I am not a fan of Corbett at center when they could have got a center in free agency who was far better than paying Lewis and Hunt, sure maybe get one of those two but not both and not for what they paid them, Robert Hunt is worth $100 and one of the highest paid at his position in the NFL?  No he was overrated because he was on the Dolphins and people assumed their success was partly to do with him. 

Also their Head Coach being a head coach is pretty questionable I would say based on his track record but yes it is still early.  

Carolina Panthers would have been better off hiring Bobby Slowik as their HC.  That dude is outstanding and should be a head coach shortly.  Just on pure playcalling he is superior, but sure might be early but what he has done at Houston with CJ Stroud is impressive and that offense is hard to deal with and well organized.  

21 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Sure it is not the only problem

I mean this respectfully, how much of the Panthers have you seen this year?  The OL flat out has not been a problem.  I'm not saying it is great, but it hasn't looked much better or worse than the average NFL OLs.  Definitely better than last year (but again it has only been 2 games) It doesn't help that defenses can press and not have to play over the top.  Bryce Young has just sucked.

I can understand disagreeing with how much they paid Hunt/Lewis.  But at the end of the day, the OL is not to blame for how abysmal Bryce has looked this year.  

He is consistently creating pressure because of his awful footwork and lack of pocket presence.  He refuses to step up into the pocket.  He's not accurate.  He doesn't push the ball downfield.  He can't run.  He doesn't do anything well.  

And look, I made a bunch of excuses for Bryce last year.  I want him to succeed.  But there aren't any excuses for how he's looked this year.  He has hurt the team.  It is telling that 99% of the fanbase has given up on him.  Most fans will give their young QBs the longest leash possible.  He has just been that bad.  He was that bad last year, but my hope was that the team and coaching around him getting better would help fix some of his core issues.  But he's only regressed.

Edited by iknowcool
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, iknowcool said:

Respectfully, how much of Panthers games have you watched?  The OL has not been a problem at all.  It isn't great, but it hasn't looked much better or worse than the average NFL OLs.  Bryce Young has just sucked.

I can understand disagreeing with how much they paid Hunt/Lewis.  But at the end of the day, the OL is not to blame for how abysmal Bryce has looked this year.  

He is consistently creating pressure because of his awful footwork and lack of pocket presence.  He refuses to step up into the pocket.

And look, I made a bunch of excuses for Bryce last year.  I want him to succeed.  But there aren't any excuses for how he's looked this year.  He has hurt the team.

I have not watched any Panther game in full this year.  Watching a few plays clearly to me the Panthers want to be a tough physical running team based on the roster and the moves they made with those OGs and bringing in Miles Sanders last year.  But why draft a 190 pound QB who is 5-10?  Bryce Young is not some under the center, play action passing QB who can succeed with a low volume of passes, he needs to be moved around, quick passes, quick screens, the system the Panthers seem to want he is not it and does not fit. 

To say he gets no pressure or that the Panthers OL is average?  Not so sure about that one, sure did not give up a ton of sacks this past week but week 1 gave up 4 QB sacks, 5 QB hits and 2.9 average per rush.  Young struggles with huge dudes coming down on him and that happens most of the game in that system.  He needs to improve and get better but he is far from being the worst #1 pick of all time which some are saying about him currently.

But I doubt they will all of a sudden look like a solid team with Andy Dalton as the starter, but time will tell.  Most likely they get the #1 overall pick in 2025 regardless of Bryce Young being the starter most of this season or not.  But we will see.  

1 minute ago, candyman93 said:

Rams or Jets would make a lot of sense for Bryce.

Rams I think would be the best place for Bryce in terms of scheme and more importantly coaching staff, but what would it cost, if 5th or 6th rounder well worth it.  If higher, not sure but clearly Stetson Bennett is not the long term answer. 

Jets might be better off just drafting a QB this up coming draft, ideally a Cam Ward or Ewers type but if they do not have that high of a pick then maybe a Kyle McCord or Will Howard type in the 3rd or 4th round.   

Jimmy is right, and just look at the Packers right now with Malik Willis for example.  Who would have thought Malik Wills would win two games in the NFL this season as the starting QB potentially?

The Packers are protecting Willis with their play calling, general scheme and team support through their identity as a roster.  Put Bryce Young on the Packers instead of Willis, one thinks he would really be that bad?  I do not, granted he is not the runner Willis is but not like the Packers are a QB run team with Jordan Love, they became that because of Willis to win a few games until Love returns from injury...

Panthers organization is ran poorly and that is shown but who they hire as coaches and who they bring in with regards to talent.  They have the least amount of cap space in the NFL for the 2024 season, that is nuts for a bad football team and shows they paid a lot of guys way too much money, and for what if the team stinks?  

3 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Jimmy is right, and just look at the Packers right now with Malik Willis for example.  Who would have thought Malik Wills would win two games in the NFL this season as the starting QB potentially?

The Packers are protecting Willis with their play calling, general scheme and team support through their identity as a roster.  Put Bryce Young on the Packers instead of Willis, one thinks he would really be that bad?  I do not, granted he is not the runner Willis is but not like the Packers are a QB run team with Jordan Love, they became that because of Willis to win a few games until Love returns from injury...

Panthers organization is ran poorly and that is shown but who they hire as coaches and who they bring in with regards to talent.  They have the least amount of cap space in the NFL for the 2024 season, that is nuts for a bad football team and shows they paid a lot of guys way too much money, and for what if the team stinks?  

David Tepper is Dan Snyder. 

3 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Tepper sucks, but so does Young. Look how much better they're playing with Andy Dalton at QB.

Granted, I still think for the long-term future they would have been better giving Young more games, but Canales also risks losing the locker room if he stuck with Young for too long.

34 minutes ago, DawgX said:

Tepper sucks, but so does Young. Look how much better they're playing with Andy Dalton at QB.

Granted, I still think for the long-term future they would have been better giving Young more games, but Canales also risks losing the locker room if he stuck with Young for too long.

True, this showing for Dalton and the Panthers against the Raiders is impressive.  But the Raiders just beat Baltimore last week and Baltimore is killing Dallas currently so the NFL is weird at times.

Granted I had the Raiders with the #1 pick before the season starts with clearly the worst starting QB in the league and arguably the worst roster but Carolina is no question top 5 worst teams in the NFL regardless of who starts for them at QB.

16 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

True, this showing for Dalton and the Panthers against the Raiders is impressive.  But the Raiders just beat Baltimore last week and Baltimore is killing Dallas currently so the NFL is weird at times.

Granted I had the Raiders with the #1 pick before the season starts with clearly the worst starting QB in the league and arguably the worst roster but Carolina is no question top 5 worst teams in the NFL regardless of who starts for them at QB.

Hard disagree.

Raiders aren't good, but not the worst roster and Minshew is better than the guy Carolina just benched.

37 minutes ago, Shockwave said:

The Red Rifle throws for 300+ and 3 TDS and you Young apologist have what to base your stance??

He's young and needs time to learn to not suck.

His confidence is clearly in the toilet (Just like the panthers as a whole)

• Like 1