Bears at Colts 9/22 Noon Game On CBS

15 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

For me this is the start of a run of games where as a team we just need to win to get some confidence...the Colts are probably the most difficult as they have some difference makers but after that a banged up Rams team then a barren Panthers team are 3 very winnable games before London...you take that trip at 4-1...hopefully win over here and head into the bye at 5-1 and I think we all would have taken that in a heartbeat...

this is exactly it. the iOL has played like sheet, yes, but against maybe the most difficult interior DL we'll see all season and a SB contending team with a top 10 defense. We won 1 and lost 1 by 1 score. we have 4 very winnable games next before the bye week. nobody here realistically thought we would be 6-0, so why freak out when we wont be? 5-1 or 4-2 is a great place to be at the reset.

in the wise words of Aaron Rodgers.... I am immuniz...wait no, it was R-E-L-A-X

• Like 1

I am getting a bad feeling that Wright didn't work out hard this offseason and is going to suffer for it this year.  And so are we.

He doesn't look like same guy thus far and haven't heard anything about an injury.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

I am getting a bad feeling that Wright didn't work out hard this offseason and is going to suffer for it this year.  And so are we.

He doesn't look like same guy thus far and haven't heard anything about an injury.

Im seeing the same thing you are, but I would be shocked if the guy who did the WR training last year was suddenly lazy?

I think the whole OL is thinking too much. Instead of hitting what they see, they are trying to predict and stuff. Thats what happens when you are trying to cover up issues before they are even exploited.

Its time to bring iut all back to basics (as well as get rid of those who just cant like Davis) and Keep It Simple Stupid. Block what is there, keep the pocket integrity and let the RBs find the spaces.

On 9/16/2024 at 6:28 PM, beardown3231 said:

f this moron doesn't commit to the run AND the players don't execute, woof. Indy couldn't stop St. Rita at the moment

I don't think the Bears team we've seen the last two weeks could run on most highschool teams.

I also don't think we have the TE depth to run double TE sets constantly to really try and get really physical on the LOS.

The good news is, I think (hope) the Colt's pass rush will be more limited than what we faced the past two weeks, and we'll still move the ball better overall. Them not having Buckner is huge. End of the game will still be 60+% pass for us.  Could also see this being a game that the D/ST can win on their own.

4 hours ago, Epyon said:

I don't think the Bears team we've seen the last two weeks could run on most highschool teams.

I also don't think we have the TE depth to run double TE sets constantly to really try and get really physical on the LOS.

The good news is, I think (hope) the Colt's pass rush will be more limited than what we faced the past two weeks, and we'll still move the ball better overall. Them not having Buckner is huge. End of the game will still be 60+% pass for us.  Could also see this being a game that the D/ST can win on their own.

I wouldn't say the Bears need to run 12 personnel constantly, but if trying to get of the bus running I think there could easily be a rotation used between the 3, even keeping one in-line and another as a big slot. Lewis is always the primary blocker since he is one-dimensional (and still a top blocking TE in the league) and Kmet is above average. There just has to be a reality check with the OC, just as Getsy needed one badly. Kmet is a damn good blocker for a TE but asking him to block Myles, Anderson, Hunter, etc one on one is just stupid. These guys give top OTs problems, the hell is any TE going to do? Mooney and Gabriel had better chances as lead blockers vs DBs than 95% of TEs do on an island vs those guys.

I actually think the Bears run game is huge. They were ran all over their last two games, and if they sell out vs the run then hopefully Williams is able to get a lot of single coverage between Moore/Allen/Rome.

where the heLL is Roschon ??! 

His only action this season was that shot to the face on the sideline. Are they trying to protect him or something?? His running style doesn't exactly allow him to stay healthy week to week, but he is our best aLL-around back 

Edited by SLCbear

30 minutes ago, SLCbear said:

where the heLL is Roschon ??! 

His only action this season was that shot to the face on the sideline. Are they trying to protect him or something?? His running style doesn't exactly allow him to stay healthy week to week, but he is out best aLL-around back 

I don't have anything definitive to base this on, but I get the impression the staff doesn't much care for Roschon.

-Going out of our way to sign Swift

-Travis Homer getting carries every week

-Velus getting carries

-Herbert getting carries over Roschon, with Swift here as the "main guy" is also interesting. I'd have expected Herbert to have been on the trade block or to have a smaller role since Swift and Roschon would theoretically have the RB locked down going forward.

I kind of get the impression that the only reason Roschon even made the roster is injury insurance and because they couldn't draft anyone better.  More likely than not imo that we draft someone else to come in during the offseason.   Ashton Jeanty certainly has my eye right now, best receiving back in the country and my best descriptor of him would be that if you fed rookie Tarik Cohen steroids until he got up to 215lbs.  The bulk makes him less shifty than Cohen was, but Jeanty has fantastic contact balance/core strength, good hands, and ~the same level of speed/explosiveness.

7 hours ago, Epyon said:

I don't have anything definitive to base this on, but I get the impression the staff doesn't much care for Roschon.

-Going out of our way to sign Swift

-Travis Homer getting carries every week

-Velus getting carries

-Herbert getting carries over Roschon, with Swift here as the "main guy" is also interesting. I'd have expected Herbert to have been on the trade block or to have a smaller role since Swift and Roschon would theoretically have the RB locked down going forward.

I will readily admit there is a chance that Roschon is just north of a JAG. I like him more than that because he can block so well and so many RBs cant/wont do that. But hes just a solid runner and a capable Receiver. Hes your classic backup right now, but thats not really what they are looking for as we are trying to spark the offense.

Swift doesnt really impact the Roschon stuff, to me that says they dont think Herbert is capable of being a full time back

The Homer stuff seems to be a Waldron thing, he got quite literally Zero carries in 2023

The Velus stuff has been pitched inside the Org since '22 and the former people in charge didnt want to take the time to try it

Herbert was and still is on the trade block, there just inst alot of interest in him other than future end of the draft picks 

7 hours ago, Epyon said:

Ashton Jeanty certainly has my eye right now, best receiving back in the country and my best descriptor of him would be that if you fed rookie Tarik Cohen steroids until he got up to 215lbs.  The bulk makes him less shifty than Cohen was, but Jeanty has fantastic contact balance/core strength, good hands, and ~the same level of speed/explosiveness.

Actually Jeanty would be the Exact type of back that youd want Roschon to be the #2 for. The explosive game breaker who can do everything, and then when you need to grid out some 3.5 yard runs you let RJ get exactly what the OL is blocking for him

Although Jeanty likely goes way higher than we are currently willing to spend a pick on a RB 

15 hours ago, Epyon said:

They way teams are playing defense across league running a big FB or putting a good blocking TE in backfield would make a big difference I think.

ILBs aren't great at shedding any more.  It's all single back offenses and they have gotten really good at reading zone blocking and filling.  Why they can play the run with 6 guys and still rush hard.   And run plays are taking so long to develop that safeties have time to stay back in cover 2 and still be involved in run game within 2- 3 yards of LOS.

Teams need to rethink their run game strategies.   Ironically the family who started the revolution, Shanahan, has evolved and diversified and everyone else is still only doing what he used to do.

A of people think Colts are a gimmie.  There are no gimmies in NFL.  Not for mediocre teams.  Colts thought GB without Love was a gimmie and got a big fat L.  

They are at home and are 0-2 and hungry and desperate.  Guys are playing for their jobs.  

We need to play better or its going to be a fat L.   If we lose fans are going to lose their minds.  That is a lot of pressure.

• Like 1

You see?  This is putting thought and practice time into run game and it paying off with a win.

LaFleur is a good offensive coach a great one.  One of best in league.   Too many OCs are cookie cutter.  No outside the box or situational thinking.

• Like 1

I have lost all faith in Poles and this coaching staff. It is the same ol' ****, different year. He ****ed up by not getting rid of Eberflus and starting anew with Williams. The Luke Waldron hire looks like a colossal failure and we are stuck with the same ol' Bears, great D and a HS offense. So ******* ****ingly ******* tired of it. Any good will I felt for Poles is gone, this is his ******* mess that he ******* created.

4 minutes ago, dafreak said:

I have lost all faith in Poles and this coaching staff. It is the same ol' ****, different year. He ****ed up by not getting rid of Eberflus and starting anew with Williams. The Luke Waldron hire looks like a colossal failure and we are stuck with the same ol' Bears, great D and a HS offense. So ******* ****ingly ******* tired of it. Any good will I felt for Poles is gone, this is his ******* mess that he ******* created.

You might be right, but it is premature still to make that call IMO.   A lot of new pieces and coaches including a rookie QB and OL had another injury filled camp where they didn't practice together and guys have been switching up positions.  No one will wait that long, but they should.  

The Oline has been abysmal.  You can't judge anything off that because that skews everything.  Nothing works when you can't block for even 2 secs. and are allowing free runners in.   

Give it until London game to get their act together.  

If it still is worst Offense in league at that time without improvement with that schedule then you were probably right, but IF that turns out to be true just as much blame will go to Poles for not doing enough upfront.  And I don't think it will Caleb's fault.

1 minute ago, dll2000 said:

You might be right, but it is premature still to make that call IMO.   A lot of new pieces and coaches including a rookie QB and OL had another injury filled camp where they didn't practice together and guys have been switching up positions.  No one will wait that long, but they should.  

The Oline has been abysmal.  You can't judge anything off that because that skews everything.  Nothing works when you can't block for even 2 secs. and are allowing free runners in.   

Give it until London game to get their act together.  

If it still is worst Offense in league at that time without improvement with that schedule then you were probably right, but IF that turns out to be true just as much blame will go to Poles for not doing enough upfront.  And I don't think it will Caleb's fault.

I knew after the first game last year, same this year. One constant = Eberflus & Poles. Definitely not Caleb's fault.

• Like 1