Week 5: VIKINGS (4-0) vs. Jets (2-2)

swede700

17 hours ago, JDBrocks said:

@viking @wcblack34 - I’m going to be in London in 2 weeks - is there a Vikings pub where I can go watch the game vs. the Lions?

If you look online I'm sure you could find a pub that's showing the game. If there will actually be fans there watching I'm not sure.

Personally I've not watched any games in a pub/bar in the UK

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JDBrocks said:

Per his wife’s instagram, Will the Thrill only got 4 hours of sleep the night before the game trying to adjust to the new time zone.

Still locked in when it mattered. One of four kickers that hasn’t missed a kick (FGs and XPs combined) and of those 4 he:

is tied for the most attempts (25)
is tied for the most 50+ yard FG attempts
has the longest made FG (58 yards)

Was it also raining during some of his kicks?

49 minutes ago, viking said:

A win is a win but a disappointing showing imo up 17-0 in the first half but we managed to let them back in the game

Offense was bad & ST was sloppy. 

That's kind of why I thought it will be good to have the bye...they've been regressing to the mean the last 2 weeks.  This will be the time to re-energize for the next 3 months.

The Vikings had a trifecta of interceptions — just the sixth time in Rodgers' career in which he tossed three interceptions in one game.

Stephon Gilmore participated in his first Border Battle last week and faced the former Packers nemesis QB for the first time in Purple, recording his 32nd career interception.

Andrew Van Ginkel started the pickin' party with his second pick six of 2024 in two games against New York teams. The outside linebacker dropped into coverage and secured Rodgers' seventh pass of the game.

Camryn Bynum also intercepted Rodgers later in the first quarter, corralling an overthrow down the middle for his second interception of 2024.

Minnesota limited Rodgers to a passer rating of 54.9 on 29-of-54 passing for 244 yards with two touchdowns.

https://www.vikings.com/news/stephon-gilmore-interception-jets-week-5-london-game-observations?fbclid=IwY2xjawFw0VRleHRuA2FlbQIxMQABHSfd6jhdcs9evT9FW0GuVPYKwucx4S4n4YHFrepFvoYQj8XQ3J3iJBUARA_aem_MODInJMDueek82CWfnoGew

Posted (edited)

Having watched Aaron Rodgers now this season, I really do think he did the Jets a disservice with the way he's handled his offseason.  He and Wilson really aren't on the same page at all and I think that a lot of that is due to his laissez faire approach to offseasons.  He's not Brett Favre (although he thinks he is) who was able to get away without participating fully in the offseason. 

His type of QBing relies on timing, not just making magic happen. And that timing is built in the offseason and extra work in the offseason. Right now, at least to me, he appears to just be cashing a paycheck. He can dial it up every now and then, but he just seems disinterested in doing so consistently. This Aaron Rodgers is not the same Aaron Rodgers we saw 5 years ago. 

Edited by swede700
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Having watched Aaron Rodgers now this season, I really do think he did the Jets a disservice with the way he's handled his offseason.  He and Wilson really aren't on the same page at all and I think that a lot of that is due to his laissez faire approach to offseasons.  He's not Brett Favre (although he thinks he is) who was able to get away without participating fully in the offseason. 

His type of QBing relies on timing, not just making magic happen. And that timing is built in the offseason and extra work in the offseason. Right now, at least to me, he appears to just be cashing a paycheck. He can dial it up every now and then, but he just seems disinterested in doing so consistently. This Aaron Rodgers is not the same Aaron Rodgers we saw 5 years ago. 

you're being kind to Aaron. and it can be argued there's no need to be.

he is what i call a "mirror polisher," someone really just concerned about his own image. and even worse, his own view of his own image, not how others see him.

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

you're being kind to Aaron. and it can be argued there's no need to be.

he is what i call a "mirror polisher," someone really just concerned about his own image. and even worse, his own view of his own image, not how others see him.

I'm trying to be part of bringing us back to a kinder, gentler fanbase.

Edited by swede700
  • Like 1

As to the pick-six, Van Ginkel said that it was the product of film study and breaking tendencies. The look the Vikings gave the Jets suggested, based on past iterations of it, that Van Ginkel would be rushing. He didn’t.

He read the guard, who prepared to fend Van Ginkel off via the traditional pass-blocking backpedal. This confirmed that the Jets were expecting him to rush the passer. Then, Van Ginkel dropped into coverage. While doing so, he read the eyes of Rodgers.

And Rodgers threw the ball right to him. Van Ginkel made the catch, and it was off to the races. That helped the Vikings race to a 17-0 lead. 

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/film-study-breaking-tendencies-was-key-to-andrew-van-ginkels-pick-six-of-aaron-rodgers

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, swede700 said:

KOC gets the first coach fired...

five games in is pretty quick, yes.

i told Jets fans they can make their thank you checks payable to:

The O'Connell/Flores Fired Coaches Wish List
401 Chicago Ave
Minneapolis MN  55415

• Like 1

Benjamin Solak @BenjaminSolak

Since the 2021 season, Robert Saleh's first in New York, the Jets defense is

1st in points per drive
1st in EPA per play
3rd in success rate ...despite playing the fourth-most snaps over that stretch.

Saleh never solved the QB problem,. But man, he delivered on defense.

• Like 1