Week 5: VIKINGS (4-0) vs. Jets (2-2)

swede700

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

Benjamin Solak @BenjaminSolak

Since the 2021 season, Robert Saleh's first in New York, the Jets defense is

1st in points per drive
1st in EPA per play
3rd in success rate ...despite playing the fourth-most snaps over that stretch.

Saleh never solved the QB problem,. But man, he delivered on defense.

Rich and Kurt talked about Saleh sitting in on the QB room this offseason...which sounded awfully familiar to what happened with Zimmer.  I think when it takes several years for a coach to sit in on a position room on the opposite side of the team than what he is an expert in then he's already signed his eventual termination slip.  It didn't take KOC 3 years to sit in a defensive position group room...I think he did that Year 1.  It's as if they forget that they are the head coach.  You don't have to do it all the time since you have so many responsibilities...but especially if you're a defensive guy, you need to do it more often than an offensive-minded HC would have to do. 

Edited by swede700
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

Benjamin Solak @BenjaminSolak

Since the 2021 season, Robert Saleh's first in New York, the Jets defense is

1st in points per drive
1st in EPA per play
3rd in success rate ...despite playing the fourth-most snaps over that stretch.

Saleh never solved the QB problem,. But man, he delivered on defense.

Flores leaves to be a HC somewhere in the offseason - Vikes get 2 3rd round comp picks

Vikes then pick up Saleh to replace Flores as our DC.

Would be a dream scenario if Flores leaves. Salah clearly knows defense perhaps being a HC / Being in NY was too much

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, viking said:

Flores leaves to be a HC somewhere in the offseason - Vikes get 2 3rd round comp picks

Would be a dream scenario if Flores leaves. Salah clearly knows defense perhaps being a HC / Being in NY was too much

only IF Flores leaves.

it would be poetic justice too. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, viking said:

I obviously don't know much about Saleh, but I didn't like his body language on the sideline any time they showed him and his press conference was rather uninspiring.  It's as if he knew he was already defeated.  I don't know if I've just been spoiled by KOC's intensity and enthusiasm already, but Saleh isn't a guy I'd want being my team's head coach.  He may be a great DC though, but I'm not sure how he'd fit with this personnel. 

Jordan Schultz @Schultz_Report

Sources: Robert Saleh came into the building today business as usual. The decision of him getting fired was a surprise and it came directly from ownership. Defensive players in the building are shocked by it.

Interim HC Jeff Ulbrich is loved in the building and will take over. But this was a stunner to many in the building.

21 minutes ago, skywindO2 said:

Checking the schedule to see if there's other coaches on the hotseat we can bury... Maybe Doug Pederson? 

If Pederson loses to Sirianni the week before they play KOC, he might be fired already.  🤣  Otherwise, I don't know if there's another candidate...maybe McCarthy if the Vikings beat the Cowboys in the playoffs.  😂

• Like 1

1 minute ago, vike daddy said:

Jordan Schultz @Schultz_Report

Sources: Robert Saleh came into the building today business as usual. The decision of him getting fired was a surprise and it came directly from ownership. Defensive players in the building are shocked by it.

Interim HC Jeff Ulbrich is loved in the building and will take over. But this was a stunner to many in the building.

It's the weight of expectations that doomed Saleh.  The Jets had Super Bowl aspirations with a lot of the things going on in their division...and with their offense looking the way it has, they aren't a Super Bowl caliber team.  So, ultimately it is Rodgers that got Saleh fired...but, of course, he'll act like "Who, me?" 

• Like 2

Jets fans weigh in:

@rickyt31: "I think players weren't all in on Saleh and when Rodgers didn't buy in, that created problems. Out of all the horrible coaches we've had, we have never fired a coach during the season. Something happened."

@KingOfNewYork: "Saleh's approach to how he wanted the offense to play held the team back. He was too stuck in his "philosophy" he would never deviate away from it until the team was down 3 scores. Then he'd let the offense open up and we'd have to storm back. Almost every win was in that fashion. He wasn't 'Head Coach - Defense" he was the Head Coach. He failed the team as a whole. Never held anyone except Zach Wilson accountable, several excuses week in and week out, team was rarely prepared to start games, awful coming out of half time, he let the players do way too much talking, too many penalties, too much nonsense."

Edited by vike daddy

16 minutes ago, swede700 said:

It's the weight of expectations that doomed Saleh.  The Jets had Super Bowl aspirations with a lot of the things going on in their division...and with their offense looking the way it has, they aren't a Super Bowl caliber team.  So, ultimately it is Rodgers that got Saleh fired...but, of course, he'll act like "Who, me?" 

It's crazy how much they pretty much verified it...

On a different note...for those that did not know about that celebration off Bynum's interception...which I did not know myself since I never watched the Parent Trap, either the Hayley Mills or Lindsey Lohan versions..

• Like 1

The Saleh situation sounds a lot like the Favre/Childress situation here in Minnesota. 

The players in MN respected Childress but they didn’t “love” him. When Favre came in and not only did things his way, but was allowed to do things his way instead of buying into Childress’ way, the locker room split. 

Everything stayed quite and looked good because they were winning in 2009, but it all came to light in 2010, and we all know the end result. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I just watched a video where Tom Pelissero referenced it, but that 2021 coaching class could be considered one of the historically bad classes.  If the Eagles fans had their way, only Dan Campbell could be the only HC from that class remaining after this season. 

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/ranking-nfls-seven-new-head-coaches-in-2021-by-ownership-front-office-roster-and-recent-history/

Edited by swede700
  • Like 1