Good, Bad, Ugly XMAS game vs Philly

Silver&Black88

I watched on and off due to holiday activities but here's some of what I saw:

Good

- Coop double move TD.  I knew he still had it in him.

- Opportunistic defense. Reggie Nelson doing work.

- Put some good pressure on Foles sometimes.

- Sharpe didn't look bad.

- Defense had us in position to win.

- Some well timed screens.

Bad

- Did Crabtree suit up?  Didn't notice him literally at all

- Newhouse was......less than stellar

Ugly

- Richard continuing to cough it up.  Grab some bench, dude.

- Carr's bad decisions.  He's pressing.  This was a concern for him going back to college.  Needs to hit the reset button.

Carr’s mental state is a major concern, if he doesn’t get back to the gamer he was a year ago this team will never win a playoff game. He has the ability to play but he just doesn’t have the mental makeup at this point. 

Although the line didn’t do any favors. 

1 hour ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Oh and I have also had enough of Richard. Solid for an UDFA but puts us in horrible situations with his costly fumbles. I hope we upgrade the RB depth aggressively. 

Hot take here.... but I feel the Raiders came into the season cocky after a 12-4 records and a lot of success as a team and personally. Started 2-0, that cockiness grew. That translated into a loss of focus. And losing that chip they had on their shoulder last season. Once they started spiraling, they didn't have coaching (leadership) to stop the bleeding. It happens and they need to hit re-set on the season. 

They 100% can not however go into the season with JDR as coach if they want to be taken seriously. They need to re-set Carr with the right offensive minded coach or we'll see more of the same. 

2 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Oh and I have also had enough of Richard. Solid for an UDFA but puts us in horrible situations with his costly fumbles. I hope we upgrade the RB depth aggressively. 

I'm with you.  How is he not in the doghouse?  That's ridiculous.  Especially considering Washington is very similar player who doesn't put the ball on the ground nearly as much.  Richard makes more splash plays, but it doesn't matter if he fumbles this often. 

30 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Hot take here.... but I feel the Raiders came into the season cocky after a 12-4 records and a lot of success as a team and personally. Started 2-0, that cockiness grew. That translated into a loss of focus. And losing that chip they had on their shoulder last season. Once they started spiraling, they didn't have coaching (leadership) to stop the bleeding. It happens and they need to hit re-set on the season. 

They 100% can not however go into the season with JDR as coach if they want to be taken seriously. They need to re-set Carr with the right offensive minded coach or we'll see more of the same. 

I feel similar to what you said on most things, but I'm worried about the last part.  I'm worried about who we could replace him with.

I am just thankful that we had our Pagano-inspired defense to keep us in the game, because if Norton was still leading the defense - that would have been VERY ugly...as in blow-out ugly. Carr looks a shell of the player he was last season, and they need to fix this whether it be the co-ordinator, supporting cast or therapy.

On the upside the O-line looked a little more bullish With Sharpe plus the interior line, but drops and fumbles by our offense just keep biting us in the posterior.

Whatever coaching changes may occur from this, I hope we keep Pagano as he has elevated our defense to a higher level with the same personnel in a short period of time and with a off-season I would like to think that this will only get better as Conley gets fit.

Back to working on mock drafts before the regular season is over! :(

6 hours ago, Silver&Black88 said:

I feel similar to what you said on most things, but I'm worried about the last part.  I'm worried about who we could replace him with.

Literally... pick someone. IMO.... any hire is at minimum a lateral move from JDR. Talent wise, they can win games for a coach and be average as is the case with JDR. You can't do worse IMO because JDR is a bottom 5 NFL coach. But you can do better.

Just my opinion... but the upside potential of replacing JDR outweighs the downside risk.

You can pluck a JDR from absolutely anywhere. So take a shot at someone who can outperform him. If you miss.... you're still a 6-8 win team on talent. But you hit and you might find some consistent 10+ win seasons. 

15 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Literally... pick someone. IMO.... any hire is at minimum a lateral move from JDR. Talent wise, they can win games for a coach and be average as is the case with JDR. You can't do worse IMO because JDR is a bottom 5 NFL coach. But you can do better.

Just my opinion... but the upside potential of replacing JDR outweighs the downside risk.

You can pluck a JDR from absolutely anywhere. So take a shot at someone who can outperform him. If you miss.... you're still a 6-8 win team on talent. But you hit and you might find some consistent 10+ win seasons. 

I know who to take a shot on:

MVP: Derek Carr 

CotY: Lane Kiffin

Do it, Mark. 

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

I didn't think of it like this, but honestly, this is as good of a take as I've seen. JDR seems like a nice guy, but he just doesn't get it done. And if it took him a year to fire his boy Norton to get this defense to a high level, that alone is enough to fire him to me. We aren't a new england or pittsburgh in terms of quality of destination, but we're as good of a coaching opportunity as a team will get. We aren't some talentless wreck without a qb. A good coach will see the opportunity and take it with us, unless Davis somehow clowns his way out of this.

There's nothing I want more than for Mark Davis to sell the team. He's the reason the team left Oakland and his cheap *** may prevent us from getting the coach we need.

Archived