Throw the House at Cousins

bigbadbuff23835

3 hours ago, BillsGuy82 said:

Our OL is garbage bro

Tyrod rarely has time but makes place with his legs. We need a LT, RT and RG this upcoming off season imo

Well if we keep Glenn then that allows us to start Dawkins at RT. And that just leaves RG. I have a feeling Glenn will be gone but I hope he isn't... It just opens up another hole that I don't think we want.

And our OL had gotten worse as a run blocking unit but I must say the zone blocking scheme really masks our pass protection problems. Besides the Jets game I can't think of a game were the OLine looked terrible in protecting the Qb

You are all dreaming if you think we can sign Cousins. Buffalo is a small market city and even if Cousins became available, we could not afford his contract and I seriously doubt he would want to play in a cold city like Buffalo.

Snyder has never failed to overpay for a player he wants and I see no way, Cousins isn't franchised again if it proves to be necessary and it would cost around 160 million of guaranteed money to get his name on a 5 year contract, which I am sure, our owner would never be willing to pay???

Washington can franchise him forever at little risk to themselves, should he ever get seriously injured. It would have zero effect on their cap. It is a huge risk for Cousins and that is why nobody else has tried this route???

8 hours ago, Iamcanadian said:

You are all dreaming if you think we can sign Cousins. Buffalo is a small market city and even if Cousins became available, we could not afford his contract and I seriously doubt he would want to play in a cold city like Buffalo.

Snyder has never failed to overpay for a player he wants and I see no way, Cousins isn't franchised again if it proves to be necessary and it would cost around 160 million of guaranteed money to get his name on a 5 year contract, which I am sure, our owner would never be willing to pay???

Washington can franchise him forever at little risk to themselves, should he ever get seriously injured. It would have zero effect on their cap. It is a huge risk for Cousins and that is why nobody else has tried this route???

We could afford him... Small market teams can afford big time players. That's the whole reason for a cap. In fact small market teams are more likely to be able to afford him because they are smarter with their money. Big market teams usually always at the limit of the cap space. We have 38 million with our free agents leaving team. Obviously we are bringing players back so it will be lower. I know if we trade Taylor then we should have more than enough. Taylor is set to make 18 million. If we trade him for anything... A bag of dorritos. We could sign Cousins for 23 million a year and still have 33 million to sign draft picks, resign players, and add other free agents. Money is not an issue.

And you say he wouldn't want to play in cold weather... That's just dumb. The kid chose to go to East Lansing Michigan for college. In fact all his colleges on his list were from the north. 

With that being said I don't think we sign him but if we don't it's not because lack of money or it's too cold. It would be because he will have a ton of suitors and he will probably be signed for more than he is worth. Just usually how it goes if a player of his caliber hits the market. We could probably find better value at the position somewhere else.

2 hours ago, marshawn lynch said:

We could afford him... Small market teams can afford big time players. That's the whole reason for a cap. In fact small market teams are more likely to be able to afford him because they are smarter with their money. Big market teams usually always at the limit of the cap space. We have 38 million with our free agents leaving team. Obviously we are bringing players back so it will be lower. I know if we trade Taylor then we should have more than enough. Taylor is set to make 18 million. If we trade him for anything... A bag of dorritos. We could sign Cousins for 23 million a year and still have 33 million to sign draft picks, resign players, and add other free agents. Money is not an issue.

And you say he wouldn't want to play in cold weather... That's just dumb. The kid chose to go to East Lansing Michigan for college. In fact all his colleges on his list were from the north. 

With that being said I don't think we sign him but if we don't it's not because lack of money or it's too cold. It would be because he will have a ton of suitors and he will probably be signed for more than he is worth. Just usually how it goes if a player of his caliber hits the market. We could probably find better value at the position somewhere else.

We also have signed big names.. Mario Williams, Takeo Spikes, London Fletcher, Troy Vincent, Lawyer Milloy

If Kirk Cousins is watching all these videos popping up of fan base celebrating and a team loaded with cash and draft picks, he's probably liking what he sees 

1 hour ago, Trentwannabe said:

I would also be pleased with Alex Smith for two years and let a guy like Rudolph or Jackson sit.

Smith? Really? He's like a slightly better version of Tyrod. I'd be highly disappointed with Smith starting the season at QB. We would definitely need a more creative QB to make it work. 

53 minutes ago, LeeEvans said:

Smith? Really? He's like a slightly better version of Tyrod. I'd be highly disappointed with Smith starting the season at QB. We would definitely need a more creative QB to make it work. 

Smith can throw quick outs, slants and dig routes. If Dennison is back that will still be the core of our passing game. I think Smith is much more than a slight upgrade to Tyrod.

22 minutes ago, Trentwannabe said:

Smith can throw quick outs, slants and dig routes. If Dennison is back that will still be the core of our passing game. I think Smith is much more than a slight upgrade to Tyrod.

Agreed. Smith also has better accuracy. Is he ideal? Nah, but I'd say he's an upgrade over Taylor.

My hit list for a veteran QB for next year and plans for future:

Kirk Cousins - Would offer long term contract and not draft a QB in 1st 2 rounds. Would solidify rest of team with all those high value draft picks.

Case Keenum - Would offer a contract that allows us an opportunity to get out after 2-3 years. Would not move up in draft and I'd have to feel a true franchise QB fell into our lap to draft one in 1st 2 rounds, while rest of picks solidify team.

Josh McCown - Would offer 2 year deal, with guaranteed 1st year and team option for a 2nd. Would move up in draft to select a franchise QB.

None of these 3 are on contract for a team next year, so we won't waste picks to trade for them.

2 hours ago, Trentwannabe said:

Yeah that's fair. Just feel like Smith is the closest player to Tyrod in terms of play style and it's another super conservative player. I guess it's not a terrible signing but it's just not what you hope for to take the next step. 

One thing you ought to consider. Kirk Cousins is a strong Christian as is coach McDermott, Leslie Frazier and Terry Pegula. There is a strong brotherhood with those of like faith. I think this is the type of charachter guy that we would like to build a franchise around. I think it would be very appealing for him to play with so many individuals of like faith. Mr. Pegula even mentioned that when he hired McDermot.

Kirk cousins is inconsistent. His numbers look good and no doubt an upgrade . But he's awful usually on prime time games and is hot and cold .5 straight bad games 5 straight good the other 6 is mix of average or above /below .

as a redskins fan he was very good in 2015. Started slow in 2016 but got better . In 2017 his numbers look good but vision and tv wise he took a step back . Could be due to Mcvay/Jackson/garçon leaving .

overall he isn't elite and to me not top 10 but top 15. If you guys want him than go ahead . He isn't a SB winning qb tho and his arms at time is limited .

he will how ever get you 20 touchdowns and maybe 12 ints a year .

Hi guys, I use to roam this forum, stopped for awhile, but I'm back on it. Let me start off by saying this. I am ALL IN on Kirk Cousins, so in the time that he becomes a Free Agent, assuming he leaves Washington, until the time he signs with somebody, if I become unbearable, just let me know.

Now, in my eyes, it makes too much sense to me. I think for those arguing against it, I'd like to take a different approach.

Going forward, look at the AFC QB lineup. The best quarterbacks in this conference, easily, have been Tom Brady, Ben Roethlisberger, Philip Rivers, and then the rest is debatable, maybe Flacco, Dalton, Smith, etc... Who is the next wave of AFC QB's? Watson looked great in his 7 games with Houston, Carr has flashed some dominance, Dalton and Tannehill have their moments, and the Browns, Broncos and Jets have picks in the top 10 of this upcoming draft, so maybe they get the next great signal caller.

Anyways, although it may not feel like it, Brady is eventually stepping down, as will Ben. Currently, there aren't a ton of dominant QB's in this conference, and going forward, who knows?

AFCE:

Bills:?

Patriots: Brady

Miami: Tannehill

New York Jets: ??? (6th in the 2018 draft)

AFCN:

Steelers: Roethlisberger 

Bengals: Dalton

Ravens: Flacco

Browns: ??? (1st & 4th overall in 2018 draft)

AFCW:

Broncos: ??? (5th overall in 2018 draft)

Chiefs: Smith/Mahomes

Chargers: Rivers

Raiders: Carr

AFCS:

Texans: Watson

Colts: Luck

Jaguars: Bortles

Titans: Mariota

Question: What quarterbacks would you take over Cousins? Brady, Ben, Luck....Carr? I think when you add Cousins, in this conference, you instantly have a top 5-7 AFC QB, and in Buffalo's case, Cousins (or any pocket passer) would give them a balanced offense. Kirk will definitely be the highest paid player in the NFL. Brace yourselves for that, and plenty of people will argue he isn't worth that money. That argument becomes old to me, especially in today's NFL, with fresh minds writing contracts that carry many clauses, as well as options that both benefit the team and the player long term financially. Looking at the AFC right now, if Cousins comes here, he gives his team a chance for the playoffs every year, and, when New England goes down, a decent path to the AFC Championship. 

In closing, I'm not here trying to tell you he is the best QB in the NFL, but to dismiss the idea of Cousins because he won't be as good as Tom Brady ever will be is being foolish in my eyes.  The argument to package and trade your draft picks to move up, I don't see it unless you are POSITIVE that QB will turn out to be a franchise QB, and there is a reason why that percentage is so low, even when picking with the 1st three picks in a draft. Kirk Cousins certainly gives your team a really, really good option at the most important position on the football field, one that has eluded the Buffalo Bills for quite some time.

Looking at the Bills, there is plenty of cap space, potentially more if they decide to move on from Cordy Glenn, and obviously Tryod Taylor. We all know they've acquired plenty of draft picks, as it stands today, Buffalo has 4 draft picks in the top 56 picks of this draft, as well as a nice receiving Tight End in Charles Clay, running game with LeSean McCoy and reliable possession receiver in Kelvin Benjamin. 

12 hours ago, LeeEvans said:

Yeah that's fair. Just feel like Smith is the closest player to Tyrod in terms of play style and it's another super conservative player. I guess it's not a terrible signing but it's just not what you hope for to take the next step. 

Oh for sure. In my eyes its Cousins or bust. But if we decide to go with a veteran over trading up for someone, Smith would be my choice over Keenum, McCown, Bradford and maybe whoever else becomes available. 

12 hours ago, Joutmaniii said:

One thing you ought to consider. Kirk Cousins is a strong Christian as is coach McDermott, Leslie Frazier and Terry Pegula. There is a strong brotherhood with those of like faith. I think this is the type of charachter guy that we would like to build a franchise around. I think it would be very appealing for him to play with so many individuals of like faith. Mr. Pegula even mentioned that when he hired McDermot.

This is something I have noticed or come across as well. 

Someone on the Jets forums shared this article: https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/11/29/kirk-cousins-washington-redskins-quarterback

I read it and the entire time felt like I was reading about McDermott or at the very least his passion and desire. I think if Cousins and McDermott get into a room together they will be hard to separate (in a good way).

Cousins has said he wants to stay in Washington but if Bruce Allen is still there, I don't see it happening. Buffalo seems like a fantastic pairing for him and his young family. This fan base has already proved how far and above they'll go for someone, Cousins would be no different. 

Archived