2018 NFL Draft Thread: Jets clinch 6th overall pick

jetskid007

I'm on the fence with taking Barkley sixth overall. A lot of it depends on whether we are fairly certain to be able to grab the QB we want in the second round. I think to be more cautious, we should take the QB sixth overall, then try for someone like Sony Michel in Round 2, along with an edge rusher (Hubbard, Okoronkwo, Sweatt et al).

I think that would be considered a home run of a draft for Maccagnan and co. We get the QB of the future, we get a dynamic RB and we get an edge rusher.

39 minutes ago, Jag68Sid87 said:

I'm on the fence with taking Barkley sixth overall. A lot of it depends on whether we are fairly certain to be able to grab the QB we want in the second round. I think to be more cautious, we should take the QB sixth overall, then try for someone like Sony Michel in Round 2, along with an edge rusher (Hubbard, Okoronkwo, Sweatt et al).

I think that would be considered a home run of a draft for Maccagnan and co. We get the QB of the future, we get a dynamic RB and we get an edge rusher.

Zero chance we take Barkley without signing Cousins IMO.

1 hour ago, rdelaney89 said:

Zero chance we take Barkley without signing Cousins IMO.

That's my thinking. I want Barkley 100% if we get Cousins or even Bridgewater. If we don't get a QB, QB has to be our 1st Round pick. And it hopefully would be a trade up for Rosen.

8 minutes ago, Dr.O said:

Interesting scenario but what if Rosen/Sam/Baker/Barkley/Chubb are all off the board. What direction would you guys go?

Nelson or Allen. That would be an absolute nightmare scenario and the reason why I think we need to trade up if we don't get Cousins.

3 hours ago, rdelaney89 said:

Claiborne ($8M) + a FA likely won't cost more than $20M per year (I'm not interested in CB that will cost $14-16M). We've already had contract talks with Ealy and there are rumors swirling that Sheldon wants to come back so at the very least there are 2 options there, one expensive ($12M) and the other far cheaper. Unless Enunwa retires where will that receiver play? Enunwa, Kearse, Anderson, and ASJ are more than enough without discussing any young options who received more playing time this year. I'd say WR is a definite non-need. OL generally have a larger learning curve than other positions, considering we may have a rookie QB I think it would make more sense to sign the best C available to at least give stability along the line.

I don't get everyone's obsession with Claiborne.  The guy is always hurt and graded out in the bottom 20% of the league.  Enunwa can play TE and we don't know what his medicals are.  Ealy also sucks and is not a 3-4 DE.  He played well the first few games and then died off.  You're discounting the fact that again, we need at least 25-30 mil to re-sign our guys as well.  Now if we sign McCown and we want to sign two lineman, we can pull that off.  But if we're going to sign a QB to at least a 20 mil contract, it's not going to make sense IMO.

9 minutes ago, barnaby8787 said:

I don't get everyone's obsession with Claiborne.  The guy is always hurt and graded out in the bottom 20% of the league.  Enunwa can play TE and we don't know what his medicals are.  Ealy also sucks and is not a 3-4 DE.  He played well the first few games and then died off.  You're discounting the fact that again, we need at least 25-30 mil to re-sign our guys as well.  Now if we sign McCown and we want to sign two lineman, we can pull that off.  But if we're going to sign a QB to at least a 20 mil contract, it's not going to make sense IMO.

We'll have $111m in cap space. $30m to resign our own guys would include Claiborne, Enunwa, Davis, Catanzaro, ASJ, and Ealy. So we'd still have $70m in cap space afterwards. To make Jensen and Norwell the highest paid at their positions would be $11m and $12m so that knocks us down to $47m. Let's assume a QB is $30m ($10m more than your estimate) we'd still have enough money to make a new CB the highest paid CB in the league.

Just now, rdelaney89 said:

We'll have $111m in cap space. $30m to resign our own guys would include Claiborne, Enunwa, Davis, Catanzaro, ASJ, and Ealy. So we'd still have $70m in cap space afterwards. To make Jensen and Norwell the highest paid at their positions would be $11m and $12m so that knocks us down to $47m. Let's assume a QB is $30m ($10m more than your estimate) we'd still have enough money to make a new CB the highest paid CB in the league.

You're not signing everyone with 30 mil.  Yeah, you can get those 6 back, but how about all of your role players?  Are you going to let them all walk?  That'll prob require another 10 mil in cap space.  So you're at 40 mil + 5 mil for our draft.  So you're at 65 mil give or take.  If you sign two lineman, let's knock it down to 45.  You're not using every last bit of your cap and locking us into cap hell for years, so you're left with 45 for a QB, a CB, and still the need for role players, weapons, etc.  It's not logical.

Just now, KingOfTheDot said:

Minkah, Arden Key, Calvin Ridley, Quenton Nelson, Derwin James, lots of guys around this area, teams with multiple needs. They could also move up for McGlinchey if we aren't sold.

I think that's a stretch, I'm not sure any of those players are considered "can't miss" prospects that you'd be willing to give up picks to move up in front of Tampa. 

Just now, rdelaney89 said:

I think that's a stretch, I'm not sure any of those players are considered "can't miss" prospects that you'd be willing to give up picks to move up in front of Tampa. 

I never said they were can't miss. Teams still target guys they want and go get them so a trade back is possible in almost every scenario. All about how players are valued.

Titans jumped Giants for Jack Conklin then the Bears jumped them for Leonard Floyd and the Giants panicked and picked Eli Apple.

No one considered a RT and a small OLB can't miss prospects but they moved up for their guys.

Archived