2018 NFL Draft Thread: Jets clinch 6th overall pick

jetskid007

On 1/9/2018 at 4:53 PM, GangGreen420 said:

So is there any realistic/plausible scenario anyone can see happening where one of Darnold or Rosen slips to 6?

Yes  not likely but possible so just for fun I thought about it.

1,4 Cleveland signs McCarron and still hasn’t given up on Kizer. They take Barkley and Fitzpatrick. This would have been more probable with their previous GM but I still think Jackson likes McCarron so the chance is still there. Getting  Barkley  would help whoever their QB is both as a runner and as a receiver. Fitzpatrick would help their secondary. The chance that this happens is maybe 25% but combine it with the possibility of a team trading up probably knocks the chance of a QB not being taken with a Cleveland pick to 10%

2 Giants want one more year to make a run with Eli plus they haven’t given up on Davis as his successor. They take OT Williams. With all that love for Eli by ownership I think this is at least 75% possible. IMO sitting Eli was the right decision but the reversal makes me feel that Eli will play out his career in NY

3 With a healthy Luck Indy drafts Chubb. At the 3rd pick a trade up by another team would be costly but i give this a 50% chance depending on how much they like Chubb or whoever else is at the top of their board.

5 Denver signs Cousins and draft Nelson. Elway’s rep Is getting tarnished so he has to do something at the QB position. After he spoke so highly of Lynch I think he would rather get an established starter than take another draft pick. They are not in great shape cap wise in 2018 but things clear up in 2019 so they can make his salary fit. The chance of this happening is probably 25%. Again combine it with the possibility of another team trading up probably reduces the chance of a QB not being taken with the Denver pick to 10%.

Strictly arbitrary I’d give the odds on both Darnold and Rosen falling to us at less than10% but maybe 20-25% that one of them will. There is also the chance that teams have Mayfield, Jackson or Allen ahead of either one or both of Darnold and Rosen. So who knows

I listed to the first draft podcast yesterday and McShay scouts don’t have good things to say about Rosen in terms of intangibles. I think that could cause enough slippage for us to trade up. 

I think the Browns will lock in on Allen due to upside and Giants if they take a QB will be Darnold and they’re def not letting Eli play for another team, Gettlemen has said that much. 

We could jump Denver by going up to Indy’s pick or Cleveland’s #4 and grab Rosen if he’s the guy we lock in on. 

If we don’t trade up I doubt we’re getting one of the top 3 QBs and I don’t want Mayfield(at all) or Rudolph(at all) or Jackson(at all) over Fitzpatrick, Nelson, Chubb, McGlinchey, Barkley or Ridley at 6.

7 minutes ago, KingOfTheDot said:

I listed to the first draft podcast yesterday and McShay scouts don’t have good things to say about Rosen in terms of intangibles. I think that could cause enough slippage for us to trade up. 

I think the Browns will lock in on Allen due to upside and Giants if they take a QB will be Darnold and they’re def not letting Eli play for another team, Gettlemen has said that much. 

We could jump Denver by going up to Indy’s pick or Cleveland’s #4 and grab Rosen if he’s the guy we lock in on. 

If we don’t trade up I doubt we’re getting one of the top 3 QBs and I don’t want Mayfield(at all) or Rudolph(at all) or Jackson(at all) over Fitzpatrick, Nelson, Chubb, McGlinchey, Barkley or Ridley at 6.

As much as I hate even thinking about moving up to the Colts pick in the draft. because of the cost. It might be our only option. You are right, the QB's on the board will be gone when we pick. If we don't get a QB this off season, it will be a disaster. And I don't want a Bridgewater or Bradford or any of that type QB. This was to be the year of the QB and our year. As things stand now nothing is a lock for us, it is just sit and wait.

2 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Macc isn’t going to give up big time future picks for a guy he’s not completely sold on as a franchise qb. 

Do you think Mac will ever be sold on a offensive first round draft pick, his record sure doesn't show that.

33 minutes ago, doumeyer said:

Do you think Mac will ever be sold on a offensive first round draft pick, his record sure doesn't show that.

Absolutely. I think he’s a big guy on BPA. And both times we drafted at 6, top 3 talents fell to us. They just happened to be on defense. Leo I wasn’t thrilled about bc I wanted Beasley bc he filled a need and had talent worthy of that spot, but he certainly wasn’t a bad pick. Adams absolutely was the right pick last year. One of the best players in the draft and we needed 2 Safeties. This year most the top talent is on offense. So I feel this might be the year we finally go offense Round 1. Chubb and Fitzpatrick are the only guys I view worthy of the 6th pick. And I’d play Fitzpatrick at CB. What we do in FA will clear up the picture for us. We get Cousins and we then can cross off QB. We get a good RB, we can cross off Barkley. etc. Most the FA talent is on offense this year as well. I expect atleast 4 good upgrades on offense this offseason via FA and draft. At QB, C, G, RB possibly even WR, OT and TE as well.

This may not be the most agreed with idea but I’m really coming round to the idea of us signing Sam Bradford.

If we miss out on Cousins (signing him should be the sole focus this offseason before anything else) I like the idea of signing a vet QB who has shown real quality at times and also isn’t over the age of 60 with no upside (Sorry Josh).

I just think going into the draft with Hack,Petty and Josh gives us no flexibility or negotiating strength in trades. Everyone will know we need a QB. If we sign Bradford it still gives us the option to draft a Rosen, Darnold or Mayfield. Or even trade back and get Jackson. But we could go BPA and strengthen in other areas. 

The amount of cash we have this offseason is ridiculous. We need to get a QB in FA who has upside and can start day one. Cousins is obviously the home run signing but we need contingency plans. 

Anyone agree/disagree? 

23 minutes ago, xenajets said:

This may not be the most agreed with idea but I’m really coming round to the idea of us signing Sam Bradford.

If we miss out on Cousins (signing him should be the sole focus this offseason before anything else) I like the idea of signing a vet QB who has shown real quality at times and also isn’t over the age of 60 with no upside (Sorry Josh).

I just think going into the draft with Hack,Petty and Josh gives us no flexibility or negotiating strength in trades. Everyone will know we need a QB. If we sign Bradford it still gives us the option to draft a Rosen, Darnold or Mayfield. Or even trade back and get Jackson. But we could go BPA and strengthen in other areas. 

The amount of cash we have this offseason is ridiculous. We need to get a QB in FA who has upside and can start day one. Cousins is obviously the home run signing but we need contingency plans. 

Anyone agree/disagree? 

Wouldn’t be opposed to it. I’d want us to target Cousins and Bridgewater 1st. Bradford’s issue is obviously his health. If he was healthy every season he’d be a top 10 QB in this league maybe. The issue with getting him is price. Is he going to want 15-20mill per when he’s always injured? If that’s the case I think we might balk at that price tag. I don’t think we want to break the bank on a QB unless there’s a future within that guy. McCown won’t cost much, tats why he’s a candidate to return. Bradford will cost quite a bit more.

Just now, Bobby816 said:

Wouldn’t be opposed to it. I’d want us to target Cousins and Bridgewater 1st. Bradford’s issue is obviously his health. If he was healthy every season he’d be a top 10 QB in this league maybe. The issue with getting him is price. Is he going to want 15-20mill per when he’s always injured? If that’s the case I think we might balk at that price tag. I don’t think we want to break the bank on a QB unless there’s a future within that guy. McCown won’t cost much, tats why he’s a candidate to return. Bradford will cost quite a bit more.

The reason why I would go for Bradford is the simple fact he could come in and start day one. He’s had so many offensive systems to learn year in and year out I’m sure he could easily adjust. 

After being out for so long and being young I’m not sure Bridgwater could transition as easily.

My main reason for wanting Bradford as he would be a much better qb to partner a rookie than someone like McCown who as likeable as he is offers no upside whatsoever. 

Like you alluded too, when healthy Bradford is elite. And at 30 years of age he still has upside and potentially 8 more seasons.

He is injury prone no doubt but McCown has got injured each of the last three years and is more Injury prone due to age at this point in his career.

I’m not opposed to bringing in Bradford, I just don’t think he will be a top option for us. I compare it similar to that of Alex Smith coming here via trade if him being cut. Minnesota won’t keep Bridgewater, Keenum and Bradford obviously. We still don’t know who the odd man out will be. It could even be 2 of them.

15 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I’m not opposed to bringing in Bradford, I just don’t think he will be a top option for us. I compare it similar to that of Alex Smith coming here via trade if him being cut. Minnesota won’t keep Bridgewater, Keenum and Bradford obviously. We still don’t know who the odd man out will be. It could even be 2 of them.

That’s true. I think if Shurmur gets the HC job in Arizona he will take Kennum with him. 

35 minutes ago, barnaby8787 said:

I don't want Bradford.  He's good when he's healthy, but he's never healthy.

Would you prefer someone else in FA (other than Cousins) or would you rather bring back the QBs we had last year and go into the draft with those guys?

I honestly would take Tyrod if we could land him on a reasonable deal (assuming he's cut).  I would still draft a QB round 1 but a deal structured where we could get out easily after year 2 for him would take the pressure off whoever we draft.  Maybe like a Glennon type deal.  He gets a bad rep but BUF did him no favors this year.

Archived