2018 NFL Draft Thread: Jets clinch 6th overall pick

jetskid007

I wouldn’t mind Taylor but his accuracy and throwing ability scares me. He’s been in the league a long time now. Where as Lamar Jackson has got the ability to learn that aspect of the game so I think I’d draft Jackson if we went in that direction of QB.

25 minutes ago, xenajets said:

Would you prefer someone else in FA (other than Cousins) or would you rather bring back the QBs we had last year and go into the draft with those guys?

Teddy B. would ok at the right price IF we drafted a guy in the 1st.  Beyond him and Cousins, I'd prob say just sign McCown and draft your guy.

34 minutes ago, xenajets said:

I wouldn’t mind Taylor but his accuracy and throwing ability scares me. He’s been in the league a long time now. Where as Lamar Jackson has got the ability to learn that aspect of the game so I think I’d draft Jackson if we went in that direction of QB.

Tyrod, Jackson, and Hack would be an ok trio for me next year.  That would allow Jackson to sit for at least 1 season or 6-10 weeks at least until he catches up to the speed of the game some.  Since they have similar playing styles Taylor is an ideal vet to bring in over McCown who is a WCO type QB.  Would make the transition easier going from Taylor to Jackson then McCown to Jackson.

Edit: He'll never be a great thrower but he was really solid when Clay was helping him move the chains, Watkins was making plays deep and the OL was solid opening holes for the run pass option with Shady.  Tyrod lead a bad BUF team to the playoffs.  Sure it was alot on his legs but Jackson is far more elite with his legs than Taylor ever would be.  Plus Taylor is smart with the football and doesn't turn it over.

I would take Jackson at 6 that's how high his ceiling is but if rumors are true that he may last until late 1st early 2nd then I'd package both 2nd's to get back into round 1 and land him.

57 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

Tyrod, Jackson, and Hack would be an ok trio for me next year.  That would allow Jackson to sit for at least 1 season or 6-10 weeks at least until he catches up to the speed of the game some.  Since they have similar playing styles Taylor is an ideal vet to bring in over McCown who is a WCO type QB.  Would make the transition easier going from Taylor to Jackson then McCown to Jackson.

Yeah I’d take that trio. And your right about systems and installing a guy like Jackson with experience alongside Tyrod rather than a more prototypical qb. 

Just now, xenajets said:

I don’t get it..do you not like him or just being sarcastic?

I’m being sarcastic mostly. But it sucks to be in the position we are in. A loss or two more would have really helped us out. Maybe if we went to Petty just a littleee earlier? It’s just such Jets luck that the GM brought him in to play a few games and be a backup and he has his best season, wins team MVP and puts us in QB purgatory for the draft.

Story of the Jets

5 minutes ago, GangGreen420 said:

I’m being sarcastic mostly. But it sucks to be in the position we are in. A loss or two more would have really helped us out. Maybe if we went to Petty just a littleee earlier? It’s just such Jets luck that the GM brought him in to play a few games and be a backup and he has his best season, wins team MVP and puts us in QB purgatory for the draft.

Story of the Jets

I agree entirely. Once we get our franchise qb we can start really making some moves but in the meantime we are in purgatory like you said!

That’s why there’s no point bringing back McCown as we will just be on repeat next year too.

We have unreal amounts of money this year, if we get Cousins then great. If not then I want a Bradford/Smith/Bridgewater/Tyrod type qb and lots of other quality additions and go get a playoff spot next year whilst grooming Hack and our 1st round qb we select this April.  

I think it's really dumb to be taking the attitude that we should have lost a few more games for a shot at two QB's who might not be better (and might be a lot worse) than the guys available to us at six.

We actually have something to build on after this 5-11 season, regardless of all the naysayers and all the Josh McCown bashing. We have a up-and-coming OC, a deep threat WR, two franchise-caliber safeties to build a secondary with, an elite DE, solid LB's, a decent running game (with the potential to become great), a solid (if unspectacular O-line) and playmaker at TE. Most importantly, we seem to be buying into the T-E-A-M concept more than before.

So yeah, I don't care about Sam Darnold being unavailable to us. We are in better shape than Cleveland, that much I know. Maybe even better than the mighty mighty Giants.

53 minutes ago, Jag68Sid87 said:

I think it's really dumb to be taking the attitude that we should have lost a few more games for a shot at two QB's who might not be better (and might be a lot worse) than the guys available to us at six.

We actually have something to build on after this 5-11 season, regardless of all the naysayers and all the Josh McCown bashing. We have a up-and-coming OC, a deep threat WR, two franchise-caliber safeties to build a secondary with, an elite DE, solid LB's, a decent running game (with the potential to become great), a solid (if unspectacular O-line) and playmaker at TE. Most importantly, we seem to be buying into the T-E-A-M concept more than before.

So yeah, I don't care about Sam Darnold being unavailable to us. We are in better shape than Cleveland, that much I know. Maybe even better than the mighty mighty Giants.

It’s a common thought though. If your team doesn’t make the playoffs you want the highest draft pick you can get obviously. But you’re entirely right in that what’s the alternative? Having guys giving 50% effort bc they know the season is gone when they’re getting paid millions to give 100%? It was good in that we were in most games this season, so the roster stayed competitive. Everyone gave it there all. I don’t recall ever thinking to myself that a player was lazy (maybe Mo at times if anyone).

44 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

It’s a common thought though. If your team doesn’t make the playoffs you want the highest draft pick you can get obviously. But you’re entirely right in that what’s the alternative? Having guys giving 50% effort bc they know the season is gone when they’re getting paid millions to give 100%? It was good in that we were in most games this season, so the roster stayed competitive. Everyone gave it there all. I don’t recall ever thinking to myself that a player was lazy (maybe Mo at times if anyone).

gotta get used to the Mod icon under you now lol looked real quick and thought you were a new guy

I think Tyrod is perfect if we're planning to draft a QB early. He's not amazing, but he's good enough to hold the job if we need him to. Letting a rookie QB develop until they can beat him or Taylor fails sounds good to me. 

I'm trying not to let the 49ers get in my head, but I'm slowly gaining interest in McCarron now. Still would draft someone to battle, but he could be worth a trade. 

Archived