2018 NFL Draft Thread: Jets clinch 6th overall pick

jetskid007

3 hours ago, rdelaney89 said:

I understand wanting to see Hack and Petty from a fan perspective but the issues they have are accuracy and reading a defense presnap. It is a great feeling when we can say "oo well at least we know" but those are both qualities that can be seen in practice and Bowles likely knew they wouldn't have been able to grade the roster if either saw significant time.

I think your missing my point in this. It’s not so much they are struggling with accuracy, reading defenses etc. It’s the fact they’ve been in our squad two and three years respectively and yet they can’t perform even remotely close to the calibre of a starting nfl qb. 

7 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

I think it’s more that we technically weren't eliminated from the playoffs until later in the season bc the AFC was weak. I think Bowles is big on doing things in order. Hack clearly has more talent and a higher ceiling than Petty, but Petty has been in the league longer and deserved the chance 1st in his eyes. I think we had zero desire to play Hack until year 3. We knew he was a 2yr project. I still stand by he will get a chance to start before most the rookies if we draft them, For the reasons I just mentioned on why we started Petty over Hack. Rosen I think may be the only guy that would bypass Hack on the depth chart in year 1 with Bowles at HC.

I think it's more that we want the best players playing. I'd say Hack has more potentially than Petty but would not say he is more talented than Petty. Petty looked like the better QB so he got the back up spot. I think if a rookie is better than a vet/Hack next season we will play the rookie. It looked plain as day that the Jets wanted to have Hack win the preseason battle even down to the contract that McCown got. (Only paid for games started) I just don't think Hack had it in him this year, he'll have all offseason, training camp and preseason to show he belongs in the NFL but I don't believe he will start purely because he hasn't had a chance.

Best player should play.

4 hours ago, xenajets said:

I think your missing my point in this. It’s not so much they are struggling with accuracy, reading defenses etc. It’s the fact they’ve been in our squad two and three years respectively and yet they can’t perform even remotely close to the calibre of a starting nfl qb. 

Ah I took you saying "Hack hasn't had a chance" to mean coaches couldn't evaluate him. I agree the fact neither has shown any ability to beat out a QB who was 2-20 his last 2 years is concerning.

10 minutes ago, rdelaney89 said:

I think it's more that we want the best players playing. I'd say Hack has more potentially than Petty but would not say he is more talented than Petty. Petty looked like the better QB so he got the back up spot. I think if a rookie is better than a vet/Hack next season we will play the rookie. It looked plain as day that the Jets wanted to have Hack win the preseason battle even down to the contract that McCown got. (Only paid for games started) I just don't think Hack had it in him this year, he'll have all offseason, training camp and preseason to show he belongs in the NFL but I don't believe he will start purely because he hasn't had a chance.

Best player should play.

Absolutely the best player should play. But reps become an issue. Let’s say we draft Mayfield at 6 (just an example), cut Petty and resign McCown on a 1yr deal. Mayfield will be getting 3rd string reps behind McCown and Hack. OUs offense was nothing similar to that or Morton’s (or any pro offense for that matter). He will have a big learning curve, and it will take time for him to grasp that. Meaning Hack would get a chance to start before him. 2 full years in the league and a whole year under Morton’s system. This is not me st all saying Hack will be good or whatever someone wants to twist it into. It’s just starting that he will get a shot to start more than likely before nearly every rookie we’d draft.

39 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Absolutely the best player should play. But reps become an issue. Let’s say we draft Mayfield at 6 (just an example), cut Petty and resign McCown on a 1yr deal. Mayfield will be getting 3rd string reps behind McCown and Hack. OUs offense was nothing similar to that or Morton’s (or any pro offense for that matter). He will have a big learning curve, and it will take time for him to grasp that. Meaning Hack would get a chance to start before him. 2 full years in the league and a whole year under Morton’s system. This is not me st all saying Hack will be good or whatever someone wants to twist it into. It’s just starting that he will get a shot to start more than likely before nearly every rookie we’d draft.

Why would Mayfield get 3rd string reps? Hack didn't get 3rd string reps at all this offseason. If Mayfield can't beat out Hack or McCown then he doesn't deserve to start.

On ‎12‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 10:06 AM, SDotNova said:

My one concern with Nelson is that there are two 1st round prospects on the left side of the Notre Adams offense. 

That is true, but they are both top prospects. As the season ended It looks like Nelson has a slight edge over McGlinchey, but who really knows,.

On 1/14/2018 at 12:39 PM, xenajets said:

We live in a reactionary world; we want results immediately, and we're very quick to jump to conclusions with Hackenberg because he wasn't good enough to play this year. Do I think it's likely he becomes a starter? No. It's very hard for a team to remain so dedicated to a player with the pressure for immediate results; it's just not realistic. With that said, this is a 22 year old player we're talking about. He can very well make a huge jump from year 2 to year 3, or year 3 to year 4. Although Hackenberg is one of three quarterbacks drafted in the top 2 rounds that hasn't played a snap in his first two seasons, it's not a death sentence on his career... Tony Romo turned out to be a pretty good player.  

No one questions Hack's talented and football intellect, it really comes down to confidence with him. When will it all come together? Will it ever happen? I think he still has a chance to be the Jets starting QB, but it all comes down to how we address the position. If we sign Cousins or draft a QB in round 1, he will never have his shot. If we sign another stopgap QB and draft a guy outside of round 1, he still has an opportunity to prove the critics wrong and Mike Maccagnan right. 

5 hours ago, Dr.O said:

Nelson helped McGlinchley look a lot better than he helped Nelson, go through NDs games this year and you'll see how many times Nelson Bailed Mike out

McGlincey probably won't be one of the first 2 OT's taken.  He's a late first IMO.  He'll go higher just because of the position though.  Solid prospect but unspectacular in so many ways. 

21 hours ago, rdelaney89 said:

Why would Mayfield get 3rd string reps? Hack didn't get 3rd string reps at all this offseason. If Mayfield can't beat out Hack or McCown then he doesn't deserve to start.

He won’t. Hack will be getting the 3rd string reps. Mayfield will jump Hack on the depth chart the second the card is read.

I don’t know about anyone else, but i’m really pumped for the Senior Bowl battle between Mayfield and Allen. There are also, IMO, 4 more QBs that will be drafted and can really elevate their stock by having an big week -Falk, Lauletta, White and Rudolph.

Shurmur going to New York might help us land Rosen or Darnold.

Shurmur was said to be brining Keenum with him, Gettlemen may want to keep Eli. 

This likely means they address O-Line IMO and could either trade back or let one of the two drop to 3/4 and this opens up a trade up opportunity to jump Denver(tho Denver is probably keen on Josh Allen)

Archived